Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 17:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/126/110 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default coconut milk

I am considering ordering a thai dish made with curry and coconut milk. Is coconut milk high in carbs? Would it be okay for me to have?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 18:06

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

I can't think of the exact count off hand, but if your into OWL it is definitely OK - and it should be on the side of the tin anyway. Cocnonuts are a nut - so low GI and ok in principle. 'Lite' coconut milks have less carbs, but if you look at the ingredients list you will realise you are just paying for watered down coconut milk with a couple of 'stabilizer' chemicals! To lessen the carb count I sometimes add a bit of stock, so there is more bulk to reduce down (most thai dishes seem to require you use a certain amount as it evaporates).

Generally though, I find the avaliablity of coconut milk a useful way to add variety to meals. That said, I don't know what sort of curry your intending to make but given the carbs from the milk, watch the curry paste as packaged pastes can vary a lot, some being quite high.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 18:09
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Beware that Thai food often contain pretty high amounts of sugar - unless you make your own...

Last edited by gilibel : Fri, Jan-30-04 at 18:10.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 18:12
Registered Member

Stats: // Female 66
BF:
Progress:

I have a can of coconut milk in my cabinet--

1/4 cup serving
Cal 90g, Total Fat 9g, Carb 2g, Fiber 0g, Sugar 1g, Protein 1g.

Hope that helps!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 19:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 330/217/190 Male 70 in
BF:?/30/less than 20
Progress: 81%

Coconut milk is also very good for you because of the medium chain saturated fatty acids. They have many health benefits.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 11:22
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Make sure to get some without sugar added. The "Lite" coconut milk is even lower in carbs.

If you want the best, freshest kind, make it yourself, but that can be very troublesome. Basicaly it involves roasting the coconut, getting the meat out, then adding boiling water and squeezing.

I get the kind from cans in a store. It can also work great in coffee for those lactose intolerent. For most of my coconut products though I go to www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com They have amazing coconut oil and unsweetened shredded coconut. It tastes really sweet liek candy, with nothing added. It's pute coocnut.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 11:50

Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Ladybelle,
Do you get the "Freeze dried coconut"? Is it really that much tastier than the organic shredded stuff I can get at the HFS for $0.70 a container?
Also, when they ship it is not frozen anymore. Do you keep in the refrigerator, for how long? One more question, what brand of coconut milk do you get?
Sorry about bugging you with so many questions. You always have the best ideas and menus!
Thanks!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 15:15
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Yes it is much much tasiter. It's like eating candy where other dried coconut I've found is dry, kind of tasteless and blah. It's definetly worth it. I keep mine in the vegetable keeper. So far It's lasted a couple months with no problem.

I've never tried thier milk or cream, but I really want to soon I just get what ever the store has as long as it's Low carb and doesn't list any kind of sugars or added starches on the lable. If the carb count seems high or it has addatives I pass.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 09:20

Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Thanks Ladybelle.
I love anything coconut. Sometimes I just toast it in the oven for a few minutes for a quick dessert.
I will order some.
Thanks again.