Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   coconut milk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=163560)

lullabelle Fri, Jan-30-04 17:37

coconut milk

I am considering ordering a thai dish made with curry and coconut milk. Is coconut milk high in carbs? Would it be okay for me to have?

mb99 Fri, Jan-30-04 18:06

I can't think of the exact count off hand, but if your into OWL it is definitely OK - and it should be on the side of the tin anyway. Cocnonuts are a nut - so low GI and ok in principle. 'Lite' coconut milks have less carbs, but if you look at the ingredients list you will realise you are just paying for watered down coconut milk with a couple of 'stabilizer' chemicals! To lessen the carb count I sometimes add a bit of stock, so there is more bulk to reduce down (most thai dishes seem to require you use a certain amount as it evaporates).

Generally though, I find the avaliablity of coconut milk a useful way to add variety to meals. That said, I don't know what sort of curry your intending to make but given the carbs from the milk, watch the curry paste as packaged pastes can vary a lot, some being quite high.

gilibel Fri, Jan-30-04 18:09

Beware that Thai food often contain pretty high amounts of sugar - unless you make your own...

Pye Fri, Jan-30-04 18:12

I have a can of coconut milk in my cabinet--

1/4 cup serving
Cal 90g, Total Fat 9g, Carb 2g, Fiber 0g, Sugar 1g, Protein 1g.

Hope that helps!

catfishghj Fri, Jan-30-04 19:22

Coconut milk is also very good for you because of the medium chain saturated fatty acids. They have many health benefits.

LadyBelle Mon, Feb-02-04 11:22

Make sure to get some without sugar added. The "Lite" coconut milk is even lower in carbs.

If you want the best, freshest kind, make it yourself, but that can be very troublesome. Basicaly it involves roasting the coconut, getting the meat out, then adding boiling water and squeezing.

I get the kind from cans in a store. It can also work great in coffee for those lactose intolerent. For most of my coconut products though I go to www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com They have amazing coconut oil and unsweetened shredded coconut. It tastes really sweet liek candy, with nothing added. It's pute coocnut.

latingirl Mon, Feb-02-04 11:50

Ladybelle,
Do you get the "Freeze dried coconut"? Is it really that much tastier than the organic shredded stuff I can get at the HFS for $0.70 a container?
Also, when they ship it is not frozen anymore. Do you keep in the refrigerator, for how long? One more question, what brand of coconut milk do you get?
Sorry about bugging you with so many questions. You always have the best ideas and menus!
Thanks!

LadyBelle Mon, Feb-02-04 15:15

Yes it is much much tasiter. It's like eating candy where other dried coconut I've found is dry, kind of tasteless and blah. It's definetly worth it. I keep mine in the vegetable keeper. So far It's lasted a couple months with no problem.

I've never tried thier milk or cream, but I really want to soon :) I just get what ever the store has as long as it's Low carb and doesn't list any kind of sugars or added starches on the lable. If the carb count seems high or it has addatives I pass.

latingirl Tue, Feb-03-04 09:20

Thanks Ladybelle.
I love anything coconut. Sometimes I just toast it in the oven for a few minutes for a quick dessert.
I will order some.
Thanks again.