Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 14:57
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Omega
Stats: 163/123/120 Female 5'4"
BF:no idea/too much
Progress: 93%
Default disaster

I posted a couple of weeks ago to say that I'd had my annual physical and my blood pressure was way down and I've come off the bp pills.

Now I've received the results of the blood tests and it's not good. Compared to last year (when I was a vegetarian) only my tricglycerides showed improvements (80mg/dl this year as opposed to 336 last year). My total cholesterol this year was 347 (159 last year); my HDL this year was 79 (36 last year); my LDL was a whopping 252 this year (56 last year); my homocysteine was 9.1 this year (5.3 last year). My red blood cells are "slightly large" and so I'm to be tested for B12 and folate levels (I eat spinach every day and, of course B12 on Atkins, plus take a supplement of both). For some reason my HSCRP, which was low last year, isn't recorded this year. I'll ask about that when I call.

This is a great blow and the doctor says, of course, to adopt a low-fat diet. And she's pushing an Omega-3 diet, which I wouldn't mind except that the fish we get here is awful and I don't even want to think what goes into it. Anyway, it doesn't fill me up like meat and eggs do. This is so depressing I just want to cry.

And I'm still not losing weight, either.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 15:12

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Ursula!

This link to one of the FAQs at the Protein Power site might help alleviate some of your concerns a bit: http://www.eatprotein.com/answers11.htm#11e

Right now, the two components of cholesterol that are thought to be important predictors of heart disease are low HDL (yours is very high) and high triglycerides (yours is very low), so on both counts you are doing very well indeed. Your HDL/Triglyceride ratio is 1...fantastic!
Last year, your HDL/total ratio was 4.41. This year, it's 4.39 (actually better).
An increase in LDL could be due to a shift to the large, fluffy (now thought to be beneficial) type instead of the small dense type, so it may not be nearly as bad (or bad at all) as it appears on the surface.
If it makes you feel better, you can supplement with Omega-3 capsules and cut back (not out) eggs and red meat for a while to see if it helps. You may be one of the people sensitive to arachidonic acid that's mentioned in the article above.

Last edited by Lisa N : Wed, Jan-28-04 at 18:27.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 11:44
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
Hi Ursula!

This link to one of the FAQs at the Protein Power site might help alleviate some of your concerns a bit: http://www.eatprotein.com/answers11.htm#11e

Right now, the two components of cholesterol that are thought to be important predictors of heart disease are low HDL (yours is very high) and high triglycerides (yours is very low), so on both counts you are doing very well indeed. Your HDL/Triglyceride ratio is 1...fantastic!
Last year, your HDL/total ratio was 4.41. This year, it's 4.39 (actually better).
An increase in LDL could be due to a shift to the large, fluffy (now thought to be beneficial) type instead of the small dense type, so it may not be nearly as bad (or bad at all) as it appears on the surface.
If it makes you feel better, you can supplement with Omega-3 capsules and cut back (not out) eggs and red meat for a while to see if it helps. You may be one of the people sensitive to arachidonic acid that's mentioned in the article above.

Lisa,

Thank you. It was very kind of you to take the time to answer. I was particularly upset because it was the three-month anniversary of my father's death from heart disease which we didn't know he had until he had a massive heart attack and died in the hospital after a couple more in quick succession. It was a terrible shock and, while he was still alert, he kept saying to the nurses, "I don't understand it. I haven't smoked in 55 years; I don't drink; I'm thin; and I get plenty of exercise."
That's what prompted me to go on the diet, so I was feeling a bit weepy when I got the results of the tests. What you say makes sense now I think about it. I read the article you linked to and found it very interesting. Then I ordered the Protein Power book. I may switch to that from Atkins; I always thought he tended to exaggerate the amount of animal fats one could eat.

I also realize that my doctor, although only 5years out of med school, isn't a supporter of low-carb diets.

I didn't, however find anything in that article you linked to about arachidonic acid; I read it a couple of times and then did a "Search."

Thank you again for your support.

Ursula
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 12:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

There is very little AA in fatty meats/eggs, less than 1/2%, according to Mary Enig, in Know Your Fats. Plus, it has been found that our bodies actually make AA, contrary to what used to be believed...that AA is an essential fatty acid. So, if our bodies actually make AA, and dietary sources contain < 1/2%, how can it produce symptoms?

It seems the trend lately is to perform a CRP (C-Reactive Protein) test, which indicates acute inflammation. Many consider elevated CRP to be a positive risk factor for coronary artery disease.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 21:46

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Sorry, Ursula. The FAQ that I linked to the first time used to have the information that I referred to, but it seems the split it off as a separate one now: http://www.eatprotein.com/answers1.htm#1g

In the Eades' experience, some people do seem to have a problem with arachidonic acid and only see improvement once they reduce the foods that are highest in it (red meat and egg yolks). Protein Power isn't against saturated fat, per se, but like Dr. Atkins, recommends that you cut back on saturated fat as you increase your carb intake. Saturated fats do provide important health benefits to your body (such as raising your HDL and strengthening your immune system), so the answer isn't to cut them out completely, especially if the problem is a sensitivity to AA and not the saturated fat at all.
I'm very sorry to hear about the passing of your father and yes, I can completely understand how you might feel in light of that. The thing is, cholesterol readings are terrible predictors of heart disease as nearly half of those that suffer heart attacks have completely normal levels on all counts. Having a high HDL and low triglycerides as you have seems to be very protective against heart disease.

Last edited by Lisa N : Thu, Jan-29-04 at 21:50.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 10:36
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
Sorry, Ursula. The FAQ that I linked to the first time used to have the information that I referred to, but it seems the split it off as a separate one now: http://www.eatprotein.com/answers1.htm#1g

In the Eades' experience, some people do seem to have a problem with arachidonic acid and only see improvement once they reduce the foods that are highest in it (red meat and egg yolks). Protein Power isn't against saturated fat, per se, but like Dr. Atkins, recommends that you cut back on saturated fat as you increase your carb intake. Saturated fats do provide important health benefits to your body (such as raising your HDL and strengthening your immune system), so the answer isn't to cut them out completely, especially if the problem is a sensitivity to AA and not the saturated fat at all.
I'm very sorry to hear about the passing of your father and yes, I can completely understand how you might feel in light of that. The thing is, cholesterol readings are terrible predictors of heart disease as nearly half of those that suffer heart attacks have completely normal levels on all counts. Having a high HDL and low triglycerides as you have seems to be very protective against heart disease.

Thank uou again for the information and the kind support.

Ursula