Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-01, 23:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Low Carb
Stats: 280/230/170 Male 5'-10"
BF:38%
Progress: 45%
Talking I Still Drink My Coffee and it's not Decaff.

Contrary to what Atkins suggested, I still drink lots and lots of regular coffee and my keto strips still turn very purple. Rather than milk, I use half and half or whipping cream, and rather than Nutra -Sweet I use Splenda which taste more like real sugar. It leads me to wonder why some people have bad results with coffee on the keto diet. For those of you who miss the coffee vice, it might be worth giving it a test drive and keeping a close eye on the keto strips to make sure it does not throw you out of ketosis. As what works for me may not work for others. But I do not keep coffee at home. I limit to getting it at fancy coffee houses like Starbucks to make the experience more special. Coffee is now my desert of the day.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-01, 00:22
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I still drink lots and lots of regular coffee and my keto strips still turn very purple.

If that is true, then you're probably not drinking enough water. Purple does not necassarily = better.

Quote:
. It leads me to wonder why some people have bad results with coffee on the keto diet.

Because everyones metabolism and insulin response is different?

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-01, 06:22

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Default Re: I Still Drink My Coffee and it's not Decaff.

Quote:
Originally posted by fredonian
Contrary to what Atkins suggested, I still drink lots and lots of regular coffee and my keto strips still turn very purple.

This is probably due to the fact that caffeine is a diuretic, and flushes water out of your system. A darker coloured stix is not a good thing. It just means you have more ketones in your urine; and not enough water in your body. Water not only helps flush the ketones out, but it helps you burn fat. If there are too many ketones in your blood, your body wont produce more, i.e. it wont burn fat at its optimal rate. If you are drinking caffinated coffee you need to up your water intake.

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-01, 10:00
Registered Member

Default H20 Indeed

I've never been one for adequate water intake. It's not a good habit to go all day only on a couple of glasses of water. Originally when I started on the Atkins Diet I would only drink roughly 2 glasses of water a day. My diet only consisted of meats and fats. No salads or veggies. I often felt weak and depleted, not mentioning having frequent headaches. I guess this is why my keto stix turned dark purple. While the weight was falling off of me, I did not feel healthy. Now I eat a salad with at least 2 meals a day, or some steamed green vegies. And I try to drink water at least 4 to 5 times a day. I now feel the true healthy benefits of the low carb lifestyle that others raved about. I really feel good. The weight comes off slower, but that is probably good.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-01, 10:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hi, Fredonian!

There are actually quite a few of us who ignore Atkins's warnings against coffee. I average 2-4 cups a day. I have slow weight loss, but I'm not too far off goal. Maybe I could lose faster if I nixed the coffee, but that'll be a last resort!

I TRY (don't always manage) to drink an 8-oz. glass of water as a 'chaser' for each cup of coffee I drink, as well as my usual water intake. I have a hard time drinking enough water too, but I keep trying!

Rachel
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-01, 16:43
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb caffeine, coffee

Some months ago, I did a fair bit of research into the caffeine/ketosis/insulin question ... and posted it in the Health forum .. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...=&threadid=3347 .. Basically what I found is that unless you are sensitive to caffeine, or very insulin-resistant, its effect on your weight loss effort is likely to be minimal. I have read that the original studies on which Atkins based the no-caffeine rule were conducted in the late 1980's (his New Diet Rev. was publ. in '92) ... using diet cola ... and it was later determined that the citric acid in the cola was the culprit, not caffeine.

BUT, I've since read some articles on the stimulating effects of caffeine on serum cortisols. This might trigger increased insulin production, and so is something to consider. Note that watching the Super Bowl or listening to your screaming kids will also raise serum cortisol levels

The FAQ's at the official Atkins website http://atkinscenter.com/faq/search.asp?type=condition state that "Excess caffeine stimulates insulin production, which will drop blood sugar levels and leave you hungry for sweets." (Sorry, I have to rant here ... this admonition is next to their ads for maltitol and glycerine sweetened bars, ice creams, candies, cakes and syrups .. )

Once again, it boils down to YMMV

However, there is a cautionary note to coffee, not specifically caffeine. And that is ... coffee has carbs .. whether it's caffeinated or not. A small 6 fl. oz cup of coffee has 0.8g carbs in it. The average mug holds 10 fl oz, which would be 1.2g carbs. Those carbs add up pretty quick when you only have 20 or 30 grams to play with, especially if you also use cream and/or the packets of artificial sweetener.

Moderation is still the key.

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-01, 17:14
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Darn! Missed my chance to comment on the sugar free Cool Whip in coffee Fredonia! Now it's gone from your post!

I was going to say, why not use real whipped cream?

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-01, 17:19

Stats: ???/???/???
BF:
Progress: 0%

I can't give up my caffienated coffee. I tried. I have decaf at home that I drink at night sometimes. But in the afternoon, I need my big mug of coffee with creme and vanilla and four packets of Splenda (I like my coffee like I like my men -- sweet and... caffienated... uh... never mind.... ).

I must confess now that though totally true, this post is little more than a ploy to get my second poached egg (10th post). Pathetic, huh. I'm so ashamed....

Last edited by AmandaSo : Wed, Sep-26-01 at 17:24.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-01, 17:24

Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%

i've carried on with real coffee too. Only 2 each day with heavy cream. It's worth the few carbs. I feel like it is my treat each day!

So far it doesn't seem to have a bad effect on the weight loss.

Amanda - yes that lille egg scale sure does bring out the competitive edge doesn't it

Lesley
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-01, 17:27

BF:

Lesley: You're not kidding... But it's nowhere near as motivating as seeing that percentage change with nearly every pound lost.

Wheeeee...
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-01, 18:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by AmandaSo
I must confess now that though totally true, this post is little more than a ploy to get my second poached egg (10th post). Pathetic, huh. I'm so ashamed....

LMAO! WTG on the egg.

Have you tried your coffee w/o sugar? I used to be a 6 pack a mug girl (talking real sugar here) and a few days after starting LC i just decided to go no more sweetener... it was strange at first, but now I can't stand anything sweet in it. Your tastes to adapt.

Nat
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-01, 20:42

BF:

Coffee with no sweetener? Blasphemy! I have given up a lot on this diet. This is the last guilty pleasure I have left, and I shall indulge it, by golly.

And I don't use sugar. I use Splenda or Equal (if Splenda isn't available).

Gimme a break. I can't eat chocolate anymore. Chocolate Mousse flavored coffee with cream is my only option.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-01, 21:22
Registered Member

Yeah Karen, the sugar free Kool-Whip used to be a treat I allowed myself, and I finally had to give it up. Frozen... the stuff taste like real ice cream to me and I was finding myself craving it too much and eating up a tub in no time . I finally ditched the stuff from my household. I can't even do the low carb desserts that Atkins suggest. The little dab of cheescake is just enough to make me crazy. Fortunately, using coffee as a dessert curbs my appetite a bit and so far has not triggered any bad cravings. The worst thing about drinking real coffee is that it renders the Atkins Cappucino Shakes to tasting sooo... bland. I have to put a dab (1/2 tsp.) of instant coffee and about 4 packets of Splenda to boost the flavor.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-01, 06:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by AmandaSo
Gimme a break. I can't eat chocolate anymore. Chocolate Mousse flavored coffee with cream is my only option.

Sure you can. You just have to make it instead of buy it wrapped in tinfoil. Made some last night that got the seal of approval:

1 oz butter
1 1/2 tbsp cocoa
2 tbsp cream
3 tbsp quark
splash of vanilla
20 drops liquid sugar twin
1 tbsp splenda
1/3 packet sugar twin

melt butter; mix in cocoa, cream vanilla, quark. turn down heat, add liquid ST and packet ST, spoon onto wax paper on a plate and place in freezer for 2 hours. Tastes great.

I wasnt suggesting you HAD to give it up, I was asking if you'd tried. Things we used to adore before LC have a way of changing. The pleasure I used to get from a diet gingerale is something I fondly remember. It's way too sweet now

Nat
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-01, 06:54

Stats: 181/138/125
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hey there Nat -

What on earth is quark? Last i heard it was a character on some star trek show.