Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-01, 16:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

My son works part time at the local Zehrs (Diary, Bread and Frozen Food), so he always keeps me abreast of new products or specials I shouldn't miss.

He mentioned this weekend had I tried the fairly new Chapman's Sugar Free Ice Cream....so I tried it today...they had three flavours, Peach, Dutch Chocolate and Butterscotch Ripple. (By the way it's on sale this week for 2.99 a litre). I bought the Chocolate....really good...it has a 11 carbs per half cup serving though, so definitely not for an induction plan. But a nice treat for even a spoonful on some low carb dessert to spruce it up.

Here's the information from their web site.
Chapman's No Sugar Added line of ice cream is sweetened with Maltitol and Sucralose and has been approved by the CDA (Canadian Diabetes Association). The No Sugar Added product contains 10% fat by weight. There are no added sugars in this product. Each package has the food value symbols in the nutrition information panel.

We've followed Chapman's growth for years as this ice cream is manufacturered about 30 kilometres from where I live. Nice to see they have expanded to the No Sugar!!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-01, 16:28

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Thanks Sharon,

I am a big ice cream freak, especially in the summer months. Quietly in my mind that has been a concern to me but figured I would say nothing until the hot months. Heck isn't that when we all complain once again...hehehe.

Anyway, nice to know that I may have a half a cup for a treat as you say. I'm sure without ice cream in my life at some point...I will go crazy!!!

Wendy
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-01, 21:50

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default ice cream

I was at a potluck the other night where one of the desserts was a frozen berry mix (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, I think) stirred together with a bit of unsweetened yogurt. The berries froze the yogurt, so it tasted like a very fruity ice-cream. It was good as it was, and I think the recipie could also be 'tweaked' - cream and Splenda instead of yogurt, for instance. It was very filling, and a little went a long way.

Rachel
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-01, 06:02

Plan:
Stats: 275/235/220
BF:
Progress:
Default regular scream is lower in carbs

if im gonna cheat its with ice cream
i got some low sugar without looking at the label
it actually has more carbs than regular
im back to the real thing
though i just started l-glutamine to see if i can back down on my craving
only the third day but it is seeming to work
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-01, 06:36

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 209/136/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 106%

I'm soooo glad I'm not an ice cream freak. I'm more of a frozen yogurt freak and popsicle. Apparently you can buy life saver popsicles that have 5 grams of carbs but I've never seen them. Anyone else???
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-01, 09:44

BF:
Default popsicles

No....but I'll bet you can make your own Popsicles with sugarfree drinks (Crystal Lite, homemade lemondade or limeade with Splenda, diluted sugarfree Davinci syrup, whatever). Or popsicles made with plain yogurt and some sort of sugarfree flavouring? You can get popsicle freezer thingies, they're cheap and easily available. I used to make them for my kid all the time (OK, I snuck some too). I'll bet you can come up with a good low-carb version, probably lower than the commercial ones, if you're creative. Cheaper, too!

Rachel
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-01, 09:45

Plan: protein power
Stats: 190/150/145
BF:
Progress: 89%

have to watch even the sugar free ice cream though.....keep all of the milk in mind when looking at the carb content 20+gram of carbs per 1/2 cup serving....and yes---it's KILLING me not having my fat free sugar free ice cream!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-01, 09:48

Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

I can't stand popsicles, the wooden sticks give me the willies!! They do sell sugar free Mr. Freezies though made with Splenda. They probably just sell them in the summer. I still have a box of them from last summer.

As for the Chapman's, they've been around for quite a while. They are coming out with some new flavours this summer - cookies 'n' cream and neopolitan as well as fudge bars and ice cream sandwiches.

If you are an ice cream freak, I recommend getting an ice cream maker, that way you can make it lower carb and have a variety of flavours. The drawback is it gets too hard if you try to freeze it afterwards so you have to eat it all at once!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-01, 10:18

Stats: 325/308/200
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default wooden stick willies

Deirdre:

Sorry, I have nothing important to add to the nutritional aspect of this conversation, but I just laughed at your post and your comments about the wooden sticks in popsicles giving you the willies.

I don't mean to make fun of you AT ALL! I just have always felt the same way and everyone I know thinks I'm crazy. Never in my whole life have I heard of another person who feels the same way.

Thanks for sharing my pyschosis! (HA HA )

mari
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-01, 18:33

BF:
Talking

Mmmm, wooden stick! Best part! Crunchy! No carbs, either!

Rachel
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-01, 04:48

Plan:
Stats: 203/122/128
BF:
Progress:

I didn't see the label, but the low carb ice cream they had me eating at the photo shoot was very good!! But lol I want to see the label!

I make my protien shakes in the blender with a lot of ice and to me they taste like milkshakes!Very yummmers!