Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 07:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 251/245.5/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Not Losing Weight

Hi,
I need some help here. I've been following Atkins for 3.5 weeks, and I have not lost any weight. I am walking on the treadmill 2-3 times per week, and I'm following the plan pretty strictly. According to the test strips, I am buring stored fat. Has anyone else experienced this?

Here's a sample menu:

Breakfast:
No carb meat loaf
Lunch:
Turkey salad with about a cup of lettuce
Snack:
15 macadamia nuts
Dinner:
Taco salad
Meat, cheese, lettue, tomato and ranch dressing
Snack:
Atkins Ice Cream bar
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 07:53

Stats: 320/285/240 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress:

I assume you are doing induction since you've been on Atkins for 3.5 weeks. If so, you've got to cur out the nuts, snack bars, and meat loaf at this point. Make sure you are drinking at least 80 oz. of water per day. Nuts should not be added until you get to OWL, this goes for the snack bars and meat loaf as well. Make sure you are eating eggs, meat, and cheese (4 ox or less) per day. Even the Atkins shakes are not good for induction.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 07:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 186.5/175.5/130 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 19%

Dont eat the ice cream on induction. I have been on it 3 weeks and lost 9 lbs. but stalled when I indulged in the ice cream eventhough I ate out of a 1/2 measuring cup. I am now losing again w/o it. It may or may not be the ice cream, but I know it is not for induction.
Hang in there it will begin working!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 08:19

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine_C
According to the test strips, I am buring stored fat. Has anyone else experienced this?

That's not necessarily true. The sticks only tell you if you're using KETONES for energy, instead of glucose. And the fat you are burning may also be DIETARY fat, not just "stored fat". The sticks cannot discriminate which is being consumed.

And really dark strips could also be indicative of a lack of water.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 08:21

Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I agree with everyone else here. Get rid of the "franken" food for now. You should be getting your carbs mostly from veggies. BTW how are your calories? If you're like a lot of us, they're too low. And what's your fat/protein/carb ratio? s/b about 70/25/5%. Are you recording at Fitday? http://www.fitday.com

Hang in there, Nadine! It does work.

judy
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 09:50
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

You might also want to start measuring yourself. I find that I lose weight OR inches, but not both at the same time. I usually lose inches first, then the scale catches up.

Have you noticed any difference in how your clothes fit?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 10:06

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hi Nadine,

I think you have very good advice to give up the ice cream for a couple of weeks at least. Stay away from those "franken foods". You might try adding a little in the way of vegetables too.

There have been weeks and months at a time that I have not lost weight on this plan. My longest stall was 9 months. I'm stalled again and it's frustrating. I also don't see a decrease in measurements. It has me very puzzled. I'm down half my weight I need to lose (down 20) and I have not seen a decrease in measurements either. I mention this because I think this LC plan affects us all differently. I don't see the great results other people do here. And I too see from my ketostix that I am in ketosis, so why am I not seeing a chane in weight or measurement??? BUT my energy is way up, my mood is way better, my hunger is down and I don't binge anymore. The weight HAS to follow sooner of later because I am eating less.

Some of us are just slower than others. Don't give up. What you are doing is healthy. You're exercising and you're getting those insulin levels down. You will see results if you ride it out!

Squid
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 10:18

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I agree with everyone here also about the nuts and ice cream.
There is an Induction friendly meatloaf on the boards also. It has grated parm. cheese and egg for the filler and is awesome! Also there is one with crushed pork rinds, but I haven't tried that one yet.

I also agree with the inches before scale because that is what is happening to me. Also, think about how good you are feeling with this WOE that always helps me when the scale isnt going down. It isn't going up and I'm never hungry, that's a good benefit also.

Wee
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 10:38

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Make sure the Ranch Dressing has NO carbs
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 10:20
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 185/175/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default multivitamin/supplements

You should be getting in a good multivitamin with no hidden "starches"/fillers. As well as mineral supplements like magnesium,potassium, and calcium. Also are you drinking your water? You should be drinking half your body weight in ounces a day. Those two things are crucial in seeing a loss. Be honest with yourself....up the fat...get that water in.....and take a multivitamin. I haven't seen the huge drop in the scale either but people are telling me I look so good.....that's more motivating than any scale. Honestly I think it's a mind thing....the more you're consumed about the amount of pounds....it's like the scale starts to agree with what you're obsessing over. My friend is the same way....she's been doing Atkins since before Christmas....not clean though. SHe has 1-2 bars a day. And she might taste something here or there....and she drinks on the weekend. (gin and diet tonic...but still, i've heard alcohol can cause stalls) My friend is complaining cause she's only lost 11pds....since before Christmas. I'm like that's great....what do you expect? Be Patient. Like Squid said...the scale will show soon. Remember.....water and vitamins are your best friends. The nuts have definitely got to go also. It's only temporary. Don't compare other people's results to your own. I wish you the best....consistency and persistence is the key.