Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 23:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/226/200 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Started taking Whey protein and L-Glutamine

Well I was just wondering if people had any comments about whey protein and glutamine.

I am started my lifting routeen last week (4 days/week) and I am starting to take whey and glutamine post workout and as my 1st meal before I get my breakfast. I am lifting pretty heavy, so i figured I should start suplimenting to help the muscle rebuilding.

I like the Vitamin Shoppe brand, I think its Body Tech. Its 3 Carbs per serving, no sugar carbs. Its made w/splenda and has 17g protein per serving, plus is cost effective. The best price protein out there i think.

What y'all think?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 18:23
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

You can't go wrong with whey and glutamine - they're pretty basic supplements, and among the most useful. It's like Calcium or B vitamins - you can't go wrong by having enough

I found glutamine capsules no good because there was so little in the pill that I would have to take handfuls at a time... but enjoyed the powder.

Meg
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 18:45
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

If it wasn't for L-Glutamine (powder not the pills) on some days I would not have been able to walk. That stuff is good. It also help your immune system. I take 5 mg after my workout with my whey shake. If it was a really tough workout I take another 5mg during the day and another 5mg before bed.

Isopure Whey and Interactive Whey are two great whey protein shakes.

The Isopure (30g protein per serving) has approx 1.3 g per serving and the Interactive (34g protein per serving) has 2g per serving.

They come in at least 4 flavors (think Interactice has more than 4 flavors): natural (no splenda/sucralose), and the vanilla, strawberry, chocolate, banana cream (Interactive only)--28mg splenda/sucralose for Isopure and for Interactive 35mg sucralose/splenda.

red

Last edited by red1cutie : Sun, Jan-25-04 at 18:47.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 20:18
Registered Member

BF:

After reading up on L-Glutamine.. It seems as if its almost needed if you lift and do atkins because it will prevent muscle breakdown? I guess I made a right choice for once
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 20:26

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I swear by the stuff. Creatine too. Essentials for me.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 20:49

Stats: 188/156.5/150 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

<<After reading up on L-Glutamine.. It seems as if its almost needed if you lift and do atkins because it will prevent muscle breakdown?>>

Could someone please tell me what this means? I lift weights -- kind of in the middle -- not light and not heavy and keep my carbs below 30 grams a day. I've been on Atkins for 6 months now...and lifting for 2 months. Am I breaking down my muscle?

Thanks for your help.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 21:30
Registered Member

BF:

I dont think it means you are breaking down muscle. The suppliments (Gluta and Protein) just aid in the prevention of that in addition to helping add lean mucle mass.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 12:14
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi Karen! You should take it (L-Glutamine) if you weightlift, regardless of whether you lift heavy or not. Make sure you buy the powder and not the capsules. Also make sure you're getting adequate protein at least 1g for every 1 pound of lean body mass, this will help you preserve your muscle too.

Hey Dark!

red
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 15:49

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 135/130.5/120 Female 5'4"
BF:26/???/18
Progress: 30%
Default Help!

I have just started taking L-Glutamine after a 3 month layoff (but not consistently). My legs have that tiredy sore feeling (tht make sense?). Should I keep taking it? I do the elliptical or treadmill 5-6 days a week and no matter how hard I train my legs have that tiredy sore feeling. I've tried stretching longer after my cardio & weight workouts, but it doesn't help. Do any of you have any other suggestions?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 16:01

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

TX, you may be overtraining with that much cardio.

Do you take glutamine before bed?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 16:07

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 135/130.5/120 Female 5'4"
BF:26/???/18
Progress: 30%

TrainerDan - When I take it, I usually take it with dinner. When should I take it? Is there a better time? My legs never felt like this when I was just watching my carbs (no bread, pasta, potatoes, etc.) Should I up my carbs? I'm still on Atkins induction.

Last edited by TXAimee : Tue, Jan-27-04 at 16:10.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 16:13

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

Try taking another 5g before you go to bed. It will helps enhance the normal GH release you get during sleep and may improve your recovery.

I would say that it is time for you to add carbs if you are still on induction, but that is my opinion. During your leg workouts, maybe try drinking a sports drink like Gatorade.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 16:15

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I take glutamine in my post workout shake with some creatine, then again before bed. Possibly a magnesium/potassium deficiency? Is it leg cramps? Mine get achy and almost crampy when I forget to take my cal/mag supps. Upping your carbs isn't a bad aidea after the two week induction, add more veggies and see how you feel.