Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 14:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Female 66
BF:
Progress:
Default another peanut butter question

So I bought the natural pb (no sugar added and made of just peanuts) and it is ok tasting. I love peanut butter and could get used to the natural stuff but I just love the normal creamy sugar added stuff so! I have been eating this natural stuff and then i looked at a jar of the stuff I used to eat and it is infact low carb. It has 5 carbs and 2 fibers BUT 3 grams of sugar. So since there is added sugar and hydrogenated oils it is not a good idea to have a little here and there, right? I kinda know the answer but am just curious. It just tastes so much better than the other stuff natural stuff and soynut butter is bad.

How is the skippy new low carb stuff? is that closer to the real skippy? Would I be better off with that?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 14:54
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I happen to like the smuckers all natural creamy one.

I cant really tell the difference.

You might find you also like things like almond butter, macadamia butter or cashew butter.

As far as the sugar and hydrogenated oils... you already know the answer to that... its your body.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 15:42

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
How is the skippy new low carb stuff? is that closer to the real skippy? Would I be better off with that?

I think the low carb skippy is VERY good. I enjoy natural peanut butter, but I can't eat it without having lots of water to drink. It's so dry. The new skippy uses Splenda instead of sugar and almost melts in your mouth........give it a try
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 15:51
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

I know regular skippy uses hydrogenated oils... does the low carb skippy use them too?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 15:55
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

The "melt in your mouth" feeling is usually a dead giveaway....hydrogenated SOMETHING is at work..
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 16:00

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

I have no clue.........I looked on their website, but they don't even have it lsited as a product. When I go to my friends house later, I will check it out. I haven't actually bought any yet.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 16:02
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

hmmm I just went to their website to look for the splenda skippy. I couldnt find it in their products list but I did find.

What is peanut butter?
Peanut butter, as defined by the U.S. FDA's Standard of Identity, must consist of at least 90 percent peanuts with no more than 10 percent by weight seasoning and stabilizing ingredients. These optional ingredients may include salt, sugars and partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. They may not include lard or other animal fats, artificial flavorings, artificial sweeteners , chemical preservatives or colors.

So it seems the US FDA must have changed their standards or this new skippy isnt peanut butter lol.

They also admitted to having transfats in their peanut butter.

Trace amounts they claim.

Quote:
What are trans fats?
Trans fatty acids occur naturally in meat and dairy products. Trans fatty acids are produced during the hydrogenation of vegetable oil, a process that adds hydrogen to unsaturated fatty acids in vegetable oil in order to change the fat from a liquid to a solid state.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does Skippy peanut butter contain trans fats?

By U.S. FDA definition, Skippy peanut butter is a trans-fat free food.
Most commercial peanut butters contain small amounts (typically less than 2%) of a partially hydrogenated fat, which prevents oil separation by helping the peanut butter "set up" a fat structure. This partially hydrogenated fat is almost totally saturated and contains only an insignificant trace amount of trans fats.

I found it amusing that they didnt mention any dangers associated with trans fats.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 16:07
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
It has 5 carbs and 2 fibers BUT 3 grams of sugar.
Does the ingredient list contain sugar? You'll see this on labels when the carbohydrates are broken down into fiber, sugar, etc. Sugar is naturally occuring in nuts, vegetables and fruit. It doesn't mean the white stuff is added unless sugar is in the ingredient list.

Karen