Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 07:48
Lurking LowCarber

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/182/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
The department's lawyer also is reviewing some books - such as "The South Beach Diet," which discourages drinking orange juice while dieting - and other publications for possible violation of state disparagement statutes.

I believe this might be a stretch for them, based on the following information:

Quote:
FLORIDA STATUTES
TITLE XLVI CRIMES
CHAPTER 865 VIOLATIONS OF CERTAIN COMMERCIAL RESTRICTIONS

5.065 Disparagement of perishable agricultural food products; cause of action; limitation.

(1) The Legislature finds, determines, and declares that the production of agricultural food products constitutes an important and significant portion of the state economy and that it is imperative to protect the vitality of the agricultural economy for the citizens of this state by providing a cause of action for agricultural producers to recover damages for the disparagement of any perishable agricultural product.

(2) For purposes of this section, the term:

(a) "Disparagement" means the willful or malicious dissemination to the public in any manner of any false information that a perishable agricultural food product is not safe for human consumption. False information is that information which is not based on reliable, scientific facts and reliable, scientific data which the disseminator knows or should have known to be false.

(b) "Perishable agricultural food product" means any agricultural or aquacultural food product or commodity grown or produced within the State of Florida which is sold or distributed in a form that will perish or decay within a reasonable period of time.

(c) "Producer" means the person who actually grows or produces perishable agricultural food products.

(3) Any producer or any association representing producers of perishable agricultural food products which suffers damages as a result of another person's disparagement of any such perishable agricultural food product may bring an action for damages and for any other relief a court of competent jurisdiction deems appropriate, including, but not limited to, compensatory and punitive damages.

(4) The statute of limitations for disparagement of perishable agricultural food products is 2 years from the date the disparagement occurs.

Now, I know I haven't read the South Beach books yet, but after reading this quote here:

Quote:
In "The South Beach Diet," Dr. Arthur Agatston urges readers to eat fruits rather than drink fruit juice.

I'm wondering if that isn't because of this:

Quote:
Fructose

Fructose is sometimes promoted as a suitable sweetener for diabetics and low carbers because it does not require insulin to be used by the cells; thus there is no rise in insulin level. However, it is still a carbohydrate and yields 4 calories per gram, just like any other sugar. Fructose has an added disadvantage - because it doesn't require insulin, it is rapidly absorbed by the liver and converted to glycerol - ultimately leading to increased triglycerides and cholesterol levels. There are also studies showing that fructose also contributes to insulin-resistance. While fructose occus naturally in fruits and vegetables, it is present in relatively small amounts, and the fiber, pectin and minerals in these foods balance the fructose content.

I would think fruit juices have a less balanced ratio of fructose to fiber, obviously containing more fructose than fiber, just as Lisa N posted.

The only juice I'll drink is "not from concentrate" like Tropicana's Pure Premium Original (not from concentrate), and even then I only drink it when I'm sick.

Quote:
Some members of Florida's citrus industry have adopted to the low-carb phenomenon. PepsiCo Inc.'s Tropicana earlier this month introduced Light 'n Healthy, a line that has a third less sugar and calories than regular orange juice.

Now that they have released Light and Healthy I might give that a try, but I'm not sure if that's from concentrate or not.

Quote:
A study commissioned by the Department of Citrus and conducted by Scripps Clinic in San Diego showed that people who consumed half a white grapefruit or drank a serving of grapefruit juice three times a day without changing any other part of their diet or exercise lost more than three pounds. The study also showed declines in insulin and glucose levels.

"So how about some grapefruit?"

Sorry, the grapefruit diet did nothing for me other than cause me to develop an intense dislike for grapefruits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels76
The Texas cattlemen sued Oprah, didn't they? That's when Dr. Phil came to prominence, he helped Oprah keep cool through the ordeal. And she did, and she won against the Texans' multimillion dollar anti-defamation suit!

Maybe Dr. Arthur Agatston needs to hook up with Oprah's lawyers.

This article has given me a little more incentive to read the SBD book. I'm really curious as to what "lies" Dr. Agatson has to say that is malicious about fruit juice.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 14:14

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysania
one med grapefruit is still huge compaired to any of the other fruits
if you looked at the other list you will notice it is the lowest
"4 oz. Tangelo -- 8.60
4 oz. Orange -- 7.85
4 oz. Tangerine -- 7.11
4 oz. Grapefruit -- 3.90"

Exactly, a medium Grapefruit is bigger...

Grapefruit = 4.0π
Orange = 1.7π
Tangelo = 1.6π
Tangerine = 1.4π

That would be the area of the flat surface if you cut the fruit in half...If you cut them into slices of equal thickness, a Grapefruit would be more than twice the size of an Orange, Tangelo, or Tangerine.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 17:36
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Well I sure miss my orange juice. I lived in Florida 12 years and had a yard full of fruit trees. I had an orange tree, a grapefruit tree, 3 papayas and an avacado. I love fresh citus and miss it a LOT.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 23:38

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybear
Well I sure miss my orange juice. I lived in Florida 12 years and had a yard full of fruit trees. I had an orange tree, a grapefruit tree, 3 papayas and an avacado. I love fresh citus and miss it a LOT.

I used to have a Key Lime Tree...and my next door neighbor had an Orange Tree. But, that was when I was still living in Broward County...There's Orange Farms for miles in South Central Florida along the Railroad tracks. If you ever ride the train up through the state, they seem to go on forever. There's also a couple kids who throw Oranges at the train...But, that's another story.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 03:09
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/170/150 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Tired of losing orange juice drinkers to low-carb diets that prohibit the drink, Florida's citrus growers are fighting back.

The state Department of Citrus on Wednesday redirected its marketing strategy to convince consumers that orange juice can be compatible with the Atkins diet as well as the weight loss plan pushed by television talk show host Dr. Phil McGraw.

The department's lawyer also is reviewing some books - such as "The South Beach Diet," which discourages drinking orange juice while dieting - and other publications for possible violation of state disparagement statutes.

About $1.8 million will be spent on a marketing campaign to combat the bad image caused by the low-carb diets. The department is abandoning a marketing campaign that targeted moms and young professional woman who watch television shows like "Sex in the City."

"There are powerful, negative messages against us," said Bob Crawford, executive director of the Florida Department of Citrus. "We're not going to stand and take it."

Wouldn't it be smarter to spend that money talking about the Australian study that showed drinking orange juice cuts the risk of mouth, larynx, and stomach cancers by 50%? Why emphasize the idea that drinking OJ is the enemy of several wildly successful weightloss plans? Stupid, stupid, stupid!!

Last edited by Dean4Prez : Sun, Jan-25-04 at 03:10.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 11:56
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think oranges are fine to eat on any diet, even Atkins and SBD, as long as you don't over do it. Orange juice, is another matter. I think mothers who are feeding their kids tons of fruit juices are not doing them a service.

I wonder if Florida will start issuing tickets to people on diets.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 14:21
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Federal judge rules part of Patriot Act unconstitutional

Monday, January 26, 2004 Posted: 3:11 PM EST (2011 GMT)

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/01/26/p...t.ap/index.html

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A federal judge has declared unconstitutional a portion of the USA Patriot Act that bars giving expert advice or assistance to groups designated non-U.S. terrorist organizations.

The ruling marks the first court decision to declare a part of the post-September 11 anti-terrorism statute unconstitutional, said David Cole, a Georgetown University law professor who argued the case on behalf of the Humanitarian Law Project.

In a ruling handed down late Friday and made available Monday, U.S. District Judge Audrey Collins said the ban on providing "expert advice or assistance" is impermissibly vague, in violation of the First and Fifth Amendments.

John Tyler, the Justice Department attorney who argued the case, had no comment and referred calls to the department press office in Washington. A message left there was not immediately returned.

The case before the court involved five groups and two U.S. citizens seeking to provide support for lawful, nonviolent activities on behalf of Kurdish refugees in Turkey.

The Humanitarian Law Project, which brought the lawsuit, said the plaintiffs were threatened with 15 years in prison if they advised groups on seeking a peaceful resolution of the Kurds' campaign for self-determination in Turkey.

The judge's ruling said the law, as written, does not differentiate between impermissible advice on violence and encouraging the use of peaceful, nonviolent means to achieve goals.

"The USA Patriot Act places no limitation on the type of expert advice and assistance which is prohibited and instead bans the provision of all expert advice and assistance regardless of its nature," the judge said.

Cole declared the ruling "a victory for everyone who believes the war on terrorism ought to be fought consistent with constitutional principles."
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 14:48
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I think oranges are fine to eat on any diet, even Atkins and SBD, as long as you don't over do it. Orange juice, is another matter. I think mothers who are feeding their kids tons of fruit juices are not doing them a service.

I wonder if Florida will start issuing tickets to people on diets.

Well I was talking about FRESH SQUEEZED orange juice--HEAVENLY!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 08:43
Lurking LowCarber

BF:

Related article:

WFTV.com

Florida Considers Anti-Low-Carb Campaign To Increase OJ Sales

POSTED: 5:04 PM EST February 19, 2004

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- The Florida Citrus Commission is considering trying a new ad campaign to battle a three-year decline in orange juice sales.

Most Florida oranges are made into juice. Sales have been going down, and experts blame it largely on the popularity of diets like Atkins and the South Beach Diet.

The Richards Group handles advertising for the Citrus Commission. It's proposing a new, six million dollar ad campaign to "poke fun at the logic" of the low-carb diets. For instance, someone would be shown frying bacon, then pouring the leftover grease in a juice glass and asking if it's more healthy than orange juice.

The Florida Department of Agriculture says something has to be done to get people drinking orange juice again.

But some members of the House and Senate Agriculture committees are concerned that going negative could result in a backlash against the citrus industry by those who follow the popular diets.

The head of the Florida Citrus Commission says the department will look closely at the proposed campaign before deciding whether to move forward. Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press.

#25   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 09:20
Lurking LowCarber

BF:

Another related article:
DENMARK/USA: Danisco develops low-carb orange juice

February 18, 2004
Source: just-food.com

Danish food ingredients firm Danisco has developed a low-carbohydrate alternative to orange juice.

The company said low carbohydrate diets, increasingly popular in the US, have contributed to consistently declining orange juice sales the past three years.

In response, Danisco has created an orange juice alternative using the company's citrus flavours and ingredients. The product contains one-third less carbohydrates than regular orange juice but delivers the same nutrients and taste, Danisco said.