Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 07:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/203.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Help !!

Hi all:
I'm new to this forum but am happy to have a place to go for support.

I need some help from Atkins people....
I started Atkins on January 1/04 and had a great 2 weeks. I lost 16 pounds. Now this last week, I have been up and down 2-3 pounds every day. This morning I am up another pound. I am getting scared....I need to lose, not gain for my health's sake.

I have been perfect, I thought. Coffee never effected my loss during my first 2 weeks, so I allowed myself one cup each morning as a treat. I started last Sunday putting lactose free soy milk into my coffee, measured and carbs accounted for.
This is the only thing I have done differently from the first 2 weeks. Any suggestions from anyone? Could this little change make this much difference?

I reallly think that 3 weeks into the game, and me with 50 more pounds to lose, this must be too early to be stalling. I am so frustrated that I cried this morning when I weighed myself. I want this so bad and this is the first "diet" I have ever been so faithful on.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 08:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

This is really, really normal! you lost 16 pounds in 2 weeks? OK, I'M JEALOUS. I think most folk's weight loss slows after the first few weeks. And you are not stalling! A stall is something like several months of no loss and no change in measurements.

Give it some time, and keep up with the plan. If you've not registered on www.fitday.com, go ahead & do it - keep track of what you eat for a few days, and then let everyone here take a look at it.

Ensure that you are not having bars or shakes, more than 6 oz of cheese a day, and that you are drinking plenty of water.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 08:26

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hi Striker,

What you are experiencing is pretty common. You did great in induction. The body naturally fluctuates a bit in weight up and down - I wouldn't worry at all about 2-3 lbs.

I experienced the same thing. I lost pretty well in induction (9 lbs) and then it really slowed down after induction.

I think if you stay the course you will see results. I know it can be frustrating, but please stick with it. I doubt the coffee is affecting you. I think it's just natural what you're going through.

I would drink lots of water, make sure you're getting your vitamin supplements and stay off the scale for a week. Also make sure that you're measuring.

And don't worry that a 2-3 lb gain means you are gaining weight on this diet. You're not! It's just a fluctuation and it's normal.

Squid
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 08:29

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/190/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

hang in there! i think this is how it works for most everyone at some time or another! there are many things that can contribute to this little fluctuations...but if you keep doing what you know is right, it will eventually show up on the tape measure or on the scales! stay the course!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 09:22
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

What kind of soy milk ar eyou using? Many brands have alot of added sugars, wheat and other nasty things. I use unsweetened or soy slender which have no added ingredients which add carbs.

It could also have to do with your time of month. Are you having alot of salty or processed foods that could cause you to retain water? Are you making sure to avoid all sugar free candies and protien bars? Why not post some of your menus here so people can better help?

It also helps to rememebr that weight loss isn't always constant. Most in thier third week notice a slow down while thier body stopps and catches it's breath. After that the loss continues, in a slower healthy rate. For many it also comes in batches with a little stall or gain just before a loss.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 16:46

Stats: 273/245.0/150 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 23%

I remember that happening the first few weeks I started. I lost almost the same amount you did in about the same amount of time. Then nothing--I even made my son make sure the scale wasn't broken. But then I remembered I had taken my measurments before I had started Atkins. Surprise--over the next ten days I lost about 6" overall, but not an ounce of weight. It seems to work that way for me now....weight loss--then inches lost. It seems like your body needs to adjust to the weight loss and re-distribute everything around. Please don't give up, you will start loosing again. And keep checking in to this site. Without these people helping me with their support and stories I would have never made it.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 22:24

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I lost 26 lbs my first year doing Atkins. I want to lose a total of about 35ish lbs. To me, 26 lbs sound like alot of weight. But a weighed reuguarly...almost daily. I stalled a 142 lbs. My weight went up 2 lbs down 1 lb./up 4 lbs. down 3 lbs. It zig zagged all over the scale. I remained consistant and ate the same way. Then finally I found myself weighing 136 lbs. So it doesn't matter if I watched the scale on a daily basis or, if I checked my weight 1x/year. My body still gave up 26lbs. When I am menstruating, my weight goes up so I don't even weigh myself at that time. I am now hoping that I lose 5 lbs this year. If I lose more I won't complain.

Black57

Oh, one other thing. I began working out at Curves in November. I lost 4.5 inches. I lost nearly 1% in body fat and GAINED 3 lbs ( now explain that! ) What I am trying to say is losing weight doesn't always have to be part if a weightloss plan.

Last edited by black57 : Thu, Jan-22-04 at 22:28.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 23:02
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Congrats to a fantastic result, striker!

I lost very much the first two weeks of induction too, over 14 lbs.
During week three I gained 1 lb.
During week 4-7 I hovered around the same weight, up and down.
Was totally frustrated and whiny. Couldn't understand what I did wrong.

Then I started losing again.

This is a very typical pattern and nothing to worry about. Your body needs time to adjust, that's all. Just stay focused and you'll be fine.

Cheers,
/gil
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 08:18

Stats: 217/203.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Talking Thanks for your responses!

Well, I am feeling a little better after reading your responses. thanks so much for your support. I feel very fortunate to have found this forum.

Regarding the soy milk question, I have been using "silk" soy beverage. I have been eating Atkins bars almost daily however, even from the start of induction. I thought I read in the book it was okay to use them occasionally. (ok, maybe I have overboarded the occasionally....)
But what do the rest of you eat when you have an urge for somethign sweet? I just find that after supper, I want something sweet, so I'll have half a bar and I eat the other half on the way to work the next morning. I had ice cream daily for 20 years, so I like that litttle something to finish off my evening meal.

I know I shouldn't weigh every morning, but I am just so curious. Now this a.m., I am down 2 pounds from yesterday. I will try to start weighing every other day, and wean down from there...lol

Again, I thank you for your posts. I am doing Atkins alone, so it is nice to have "someone" to talk to about things.

Also, when did you start to incorporate low carb foods like pizza crust (yummmmmm pizza....), the low carb muffins and snacks, etc. While hubby is on the couch scarfing down popcorn it would be nice if I could have some low carb rice cake looking things I saw at GNC yesterday.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 08:30

Plan: Atkins / OWL
Stats: 260/208/190 Male 71 in
BF:

striker:

From what I recall, Silk has cane juice in it -- pure sugar.

Best to use only Unsweetened soy milk or Soy Slender.

H
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 11:05
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:

Get rid of the bars and switchsoy milks to see if that helps. Make sure to read lables on things. Not only for total carb count and sugar count, but also ingredients. The Silk soy milk has alot of added junk.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 17:32
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%
Smile

These bars (and shakes) are infamous stallers for many people, no matter what the Atkins sales dep. says.

As for sweet treats, part of this WOE - especially Induction - is to wean our bodies from sugar cravings, so my best tip would be to just drink more water. Have some Chromium or L-Carnitine supplement (helps regulating your blood sugar levels, hence keeping those cravings at bay). Some people rely on SF Jello with a dollop of whipped heavy cream on top for an occasional snack.

I have not incorporated any "LC junk food" at all yet into my WOE, no pizza, no muffins, no nuthin. Don't intend to either. I'm on pre-maintenance now, so once in a while I will treat myself to a slice of Wasa crisp bread (sesame/wholewheat), 4g netcarbs with tons of butter and gouda cheese on top to go with a soup or so. Or half a cup of brown rice now and then.

On OWL I started introducing snacks such as almonds or unshelled peanuts etc. (Carefully though, some people stall on nuts and they're highly addictive to some - as almonds is for me...) And once in a while, a 10g piece of Lindt Excellence 85% cocoa chocolate bar (2 netcarbs). Just for the pure cocoa kick - cocoa is a natural "upper". I never have more than that 10g square though. The high cocoa amount is satisfying enough anyway. SF candy I stay away from like the plague if I can. (Sugar alcohols can give heavy belly pains, diarrhoea etc.)

Another OWL/pre-maintenance snack I have "on special occasions" is a mix of 2 tbsp of 10% fat Greek yoghurt, 2 tbsp creme fraiche (34% fat), 1 tbsp crushed almonds, some liquid sweetener, vanilla essence and cocoa. Makes a yummy dessert, close to Italian ice-cream in style.

But try to give yourself and your metabolism a chance to purify, before you start experimenting with these or similar options. That way it will be so much easier for you to keep to the right "treat" levels in the future.
I used to be able to down a whole 200g milk choco bar in the past. is all I can say to that now... Would never dream of doing that again, my whole body chemistry has changed.