Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 08:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/196/125 Female 5 feet 1 inch
BF:
Progress:
Question Combining Overeater Anon W/ Adkins plan?

Hi everyone-I'm new to the site but not new to Low-carbing-
I have been low-carbing off and on for five years. I have a terrible sugar addition. Thats why I keep falling off the wagon. (I can't eat the low carb bars because they majorly stall my weight loss and they upset my stomach with the sugar alchols. (Any advice?)

Has anyone tried the combination of OEA and Adkins?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 08:52

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

It's good that you agree you have a sugar addiction, but while doing Atkins properly, the physical symptoms go away. Then you are left with the mental ones.
OA is probably helpful with that. You need to figure out why you are using food as a drug, and come up with better coping skills that don't involve sugar. Since the bars upset your stomach, all I can say is stay away from them.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 10:14
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I think it'd be a good thing. Personally, I combine the principles of Dr Phil's "Ultimate Weight Solution" program with low-carb eating, and am having a much easier time this time around!

Whatever helps you overcome what makes you turn to food!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 11:37

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Haven't/a/Clue
Progress: 82%

It's probably no help to you, but you don't really need "frankenfoods" to follow Atkins.

Think of alternatives (activities rather than eating) to get you through the low spots.

Come here for support, as well as your OA, or whatever it takes. Just remember that it is for yourself, and your health that you are following this lifestyle.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 21:43

Stats: 217/196/125 Female 5 feet 1 inch
BF:
Progress:

Thanks guys for all the advice. Much needed and much welcomed! Anyone else struggling with a sugar addiction.
That, " I gotta have something sweet feeling you get after every single meal" feeling? I don't eat large quanities but I do have to have a candy bar or something after every meal.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 12:40
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Yes, I understand that feeling. It's actually more habit than anything, though. Once you get the cravings under control, it's easier to break the habit, though. Instead of candy (even sugarfree or protein bars) I started having a cup of decaf with heavy cream and a splash of sugarfree flavored syrup (DaVinci or Torani make good ones) It didn't seem to spark cravings like the candies, and it was a good "meal's over" signal to my body without the sugar alcohols from the bars.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 17:09

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I was just going to suggest the decaf coffee also!!! DH and I like to have a cup of decaf coffee with LC milk and a little splenda. It totally gets rid of that needing something sweet feeling. Plus it takes a while to drink. I read that some people buy the LC Choc. milk and heat it up for hot chocolate.
In the summer time I think I will blend cold decaf coffee with ice and make a homemade granita! YUM!

Wee
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 20:21

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Yes, I was going to say "it's just habit." I used to prowl the office for candy after lunch, it was a general joke. Now after I eat lunch, I'm satisfied. I realize it's not a real body urge that's happening, just the old sugar cravings from low blood sugar. It went away the second week, along with that overwhelming urge to take a nap!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 15:49
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

>>"Anyone else struggling with a sugar addiction."

Who on this board isn't? I used to be a total sugar junkie. Sugar cereal, candy, you name it. Now it doesn't even tempt me. I'll have some on special occasions, and that's it. If I can give it up, anyone can. I think the key is to really listen to your body and trust that it doesn't want or need any of that stuff.

Did you know that OE used to have its own LC plan? They changed at some point, but the abstinance upon which they focused was abstinance from "the white stuff:" sugar, white flour, etc. Check out The Grey Sheet. There is now a splinter organization called "Greysheeters Anonymous."