Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-01, 16:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/270/130 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Gaining, gaining, almost going...

Out of my mind.

Gosh, I was so psyched when I started.

Now the pounds are creeping up again. Nine days on Atkins - first six I lost 7. After that, I held steady, and within the last couple of days have gained five.

I'm trying to drink as much water as possible.
I'm using a food journal.
I'm eating as much as I can without getting myself sick.

I dunno. Maybe high protein/low carb/low fat/low sodium?

I'm going to read others' stories now for some enlightenment.

Ciao.

Loqui
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-01, 17:17

Stats: 181/138/125
BF:
Progress: 77%

Don't despair Loqui. You did not gain 5 pounds of fat in a few days. This is water retention and something we all have to deal with to some degree or another. Are you anywhere near your TOM? If so, that could be an easy explanation. Your hormones are in a bit of a quandry at the moment due to suddenly changing the way you metabolize fuel. It's going to take some time for everything to even out.

I lost 13 lbs on induction and then gained 6 of it back within a few days as well. BUT, I am feeling so much better and I am getting smaller. I can tell by my clothes. Around TOM time, things get a little bit tighter then loosen up again as soon as it's over. Also, all that protein you're eating is being used to rebuild muscle and other tissues at the same time that you're burning fat. Net result on the scale can equal stalemate or a gain.

This is the major reason why I am so much against using the scale too much, especially at first. It's going to fluctuate and make you sad and frustrated. So just do what I did. Put it away. Don't even weigh yourself except for once a month. Use your clothing as a guide instead. (or measurements) When we get so obsessed with what a silly piece of metal tells us, it tends to get discouraging and makes us wonder if this WOL is really for us.

Instead of worrying about the scale, focus instead on how good you're feeling now....how much energy you have....how wonderful it is to be in CONTROL of your eating for a change and not be hungry. If you choose to take this kind of positive attitude instead, time will just fly by and your clothes will start falling off of you before you know it. If you make it a day-by-day struggle with what the scales say, then it's going to be painfully slow and discouraging.

Keep the faith, girl. I know you can do it!

#3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-01, 03:05

Plan: Barry Groves - Dr Atkins
Stats: 175/173/142
BF:
Progress:
Default Me too!

Hi Loqui & Thanks Raven,

This is my 4th week and has happened to me too and I've been quite tearful about it (Something I never am as I try to be as positive as possible at all times). I then read as much as I could and have been trying even harder and drinking even more water than I thought I could possibly consume in one day and I'm not going to weigh myself until I feel in my clothes and myself that something has happened.

So, your not alone - I want to lose weight more than anything and I'm going to give this my best effort to ensure that I reach my goal.

Tonight I'm going to skip out in the garden before I go to bed, I've had a busy week and not had the chance to go to the gym or go swimming and tomorrow I'm going to go swimming and over the weekend I'm going to go for a long walk with my crazy other half and I'm going to find the time to fit it in bcause I sit all day at work. (It takes about 20min to do 1000 skips - at a moderate speed).

I hope I've helped, I can honestly say that I know exactly how you're feeling and I wasn't going to mention mine because I was feeling such a failure but when I'm constlantly telling others to be positive I have to be positive too!!

Raven, you're so kind and considerate, you talk to everyone and give them lots of good advice and encouragement - keep it up honey cos it is noticed!!

Big cyber hugs to both of you,

Bez

#4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-01, 17:45

Stats: 181/138/125
BF:
Progress: 77%

Aww thanks Bez, that was very sweet of you. Big hugs to you and Loqui too
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-01, 18:12
Registered Member

Plan: Protein power/Atkins
Stats: 165/165/120
BF:
Progress: 0%

I am right there with ya. I lost 10 lbs in the first 3 weeks, then I gained 5 back in the 4th - 5th week. Darn it anyhow. I am so frustrated. I am afraid that this way of eating may make me fatter???? If that were to happen I would flip! I really am having a hard time being positive about it all when I am gaining, ya know? And even after losing 10 lbs, nothing seemed to fit different and NOONE noticed (except my mother who I think was just trying to make me feel good cuz she knows how much I am trying). Help! My motivation is fading!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-01, 18:57

Plan: Atkins- post pregnancy
Stats: 174/127/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

I know what you mean about NO one saying anything about your weight loss. I've lost 28lbs. and No One has said ANYTHING! Well,except for hubby. But he is on the diet too, and it's just not the same. Anyway, are you so sure the weight you gained isn't water weight? Maybe you can post your meals so other members can make suggestions.(If needed) Keep drinking your water. If not, your body will hold on to every last ounce!
Don't give up, you can do this. Don't let what is probably water weight bring you down.
Heather
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-01, 07:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/181/165
BF:
Progress: 52%

I can certainly understand your frustration at losing and then gaining alittle back. It doesn't seem like alittle at the time- it seems like you have blown the whole project. I climbed on the scale today myself and yuck!! I gained back two pounds . But I am not letting that get me down. more water !! The folks here at work must wonder about me -I keep a 2 ltr of water under my desk and am at the ice machine 6 times a day. so what.. I am going to be healthy and happy.
Liddle, I can identify with you !! Nobody has noticed my weight loss either. However, I think they would have noticed if it was 28 pounds. People around you must be blind !! Go look in the mirror and smile !!! 28 is fabulous !!!
I have not told anyone except those I actually live with (obviously) what I am doing. eventually folks will start noticing and I will smile and say oh yeah... I have lost a few pounds havent I?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 21:39
Registered Member

BF:

Well, I am almost where I started. I am so frustrated. I was feeling so good about things. I need to really track things for ya'll and get some tips. I have a computer being shipped to me as we speak. Once I get online at home I will be able to do this. Argh. Wish me luck.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-01, 02:34

BF:
Progress:

Good luck Giggles.

We both seem to be in the same boat but keep trying with me and we might be able to conquer this together.

I certainly know I would notice if someone lost 28 lbs and I'm jealous cos that's about the amount I need to lose. When I lost that first weight, one of the girls in the office noticed but couldn't believe how I did it and she's still sceptical and that is one of the reasons I'm still going?!!

Take care all.

Bez

#10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-01, 15:25
Registered Member

BF:

Yes, I will try with you. I am going to get the Protein Power book and try to understand and attempt that program to see if it works better for me. I will be back online Wednesday. I'll let ya know more then.

Giggles
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-01, 09:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 319/268/160
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up WOW!!!

You Gals are great!!! Such motivators. I just got weighed at my doctors and it said I lost only 2 lbs. I am done as of today with induction. I know though that I havent been drinking enough water. How much Crystal Light can we drink in the place of water? I could drink a gallon of that a day no problem..lol. Could someone let me know?

Thanks alot!
Tricia
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-01, 10:02

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Water is important, Trish. I just replied to your other post in daily, without realizing you hadnt been drinking enough. The advice Atriana gave you about a whoosh will help, but you must drink the water. I would avoid crystal light, however. After reading this post http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...t=crystal+light I will not be drinking the stuff anymore. It came as quite a shock.

Nat
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-01, 10:54
Registered Member

BF:

I am a Crystal Light drinker myself, but you cannot substitute ANYTHING for water. You need to drink all of the water, plau anything else you want to drink.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-01, 11:07

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Giggles, did you read the link? I used to enjoy Crystal light diluted in some water as a change, but with the possibility of that many hidden carbs, its just not worth it to me. I'll squeeze some lemon into my water or have sparkling water with some davinci's SF syrop instead.

Just my 2cents
Nat
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-01, 12:16

BF:
Progress:

Hi giggle,

Just so's you know I'm still aound, I'm cutting cream out this week and I hope that's what the problem has been - I don't think there's anything else I can cut out so I hope it works.

Anyway, you take care and I'll check on you to see how your doing. I have a very busy week at work and at home so I'll just have to say I'll pop in when I can.

Speak soon,

Bez