Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 22:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 277/241.4/140 Female 5'4"
BF:???/???/Healthy!
Progress: 26%
Default A strange day...

Hi all...

Hope everyone is doing well. I just thought I'd check in...

Today was a little strange...I didn't cheat, but things bothered me; the teacher who ate chocolate pudding next to me, another teacher's macaroni and cheese, etc. It wasn't that I really wanted it, but I found myself missing things like that. I began wondering if I'll ever be able to eat any of that stuff again, even in very small amounts. I wonder if I'm going to the extreme in my new eating habits. I absolutely refuse to eat anything I'm not supposed to, although I'm not giving up my iced tea (once a day). It's like I'm afraid to stray from my plan...like I'll never get back on track and will set myself up to fail.

Is anyone else like this?? Since I'm still new to this WOE, please share your thoughts.

TTFN!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 23:31
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins Like
Stats: 266.5/231/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:50.06%/42.96%/25%
Progress: 33%

I am the same way- I do not cheat - I do have cravings or should I say temptations - I probably will look at adding stuff when I am near to maintenance. But right now I do not trust myself to cheat even a planned cheat.

Of course when in maintenance you will be able to have small amounts of what you want. You can have chocolate pudding - Jell-O diet chocolate pudding - as soon as you are out of induction. I have found most stuff can be replaced with lower carb stuff. It is kind of a mindset - if you feel that you are depriving yourself then you will feel deprived - if you believe that this WOE is the best for you then you will not feel deprived. If you still want the stuff then prepare your cupboards and fridge with duplicate stuff you can have.

I still think that strawberries and real whipping cream is the best desert of all. When I am feeling that I want something that is what I have. Legal and delicious.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 01:55

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Teachin....I just wrote a small essay about this very thing in my journal. If you like you can check it out and know that you are not alone in what you're feeling.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 06:13
Contributing Member

Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

I feel that way too. You know what? I am addicted to sugar like an alcoholic or drug addict and I always will be no matter how much time passes or how much weight I lose.

When I hear negative comments about the way I'm eating I think to myself, eating this way has turned my life around, I know for a fact it is good for me, I wonder why they don't want me to lose weight and become healthy again.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 11:11

Stats: 360/336/179 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 13%

hey Lori - know exactly how you feel! For me I just find it much easier to avoid it if I can. But where I can't I talk to myself and steer clear. You know when you are at a party and table is loaded up with all the stuff you can't have? Tough sometimes but there is always a cheese platter somewhere!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 11:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/190/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

it sounds like we're all in the same boat! i was just in the hallway and kids from home ec were passing out cookies! boy, they looked so good! but even though i wanted one, i didn't really want one! i think you have to think in terms of how badly you want to eat something, and how badly you want to get healthier.....i don't believe in total deprivation, but i do believe i have learned to pick foods more carefully!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 11:48

Stats: 210/115/110 Female 4'10"
BF:32%
Progress: 95%

Every once in a great while I eat something I used to eat (like mac n cheese) or I eat a regular sized restaurant meal. After doing LC for so long I feel so stuffed and uncomfortable for hours that it reminds me how I got fat to begin with and I stop craving whatever it is I ate.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 14:17
Busty McChacha

Plan: atkins
Stats: 304/246.6/175 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

Speakin for myself I dont think the feeling of "I want that" ever goes away. Now its tempered with "how bad do I really want that". Most of the time I dont want it bad enough to go off plan. Its a complete shift for me. I never thought I would be able to pass things up and say no thank you. Today I can do it!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 22:01

Plan: My own
Stats: 340/340/180 Female 5' 10"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 0%

Perhaps when I'm at my goal weight I'll have a nibble here and there but to maintain my health for the long haul I'd rather find a LC substitute for the majority of HC items. So far I've been able to find most everything I want in a LC version that is fairly palatable. It is a personal choice though so you need to decide what's best for you. All the best!

Nicole
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 22:59

Stats: 277/241.4/140 Female 5'4"
BF:???/???/Healthy!
Progress: 26%
Talking Thanks!!

Hi all...

Happy Friday to everyone!!

Thanks for all of the responses...I like reading what everyone else has experienced. I'm still cheat free, and I wanted to share what happened today at school...

First of all, there was the "payday" breakfast. Once a month, on payday, one department fixes breakfast for the rest of the teachers. Today, the social studies department put on quite a spread. I thanked them for fixing "Lori friendly" food as I walked past the French toast, pancakes, huge cinnamon rolls, bagels, and fruit. I headed instead for the pan of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and ham. It was soooo yummy, and I didn't regret not being able to eat the other things. Although, I have to say that the cinnamon rolls looked good, and extremely sweet. I got a toothache from just looking at them.

Later in the day, the coolest thing happened. I had been a little down because my scale hasn't really moved for a couple of days...well, another teacher came across the hall and told me that I'm shrinking in front of her eyes. Now, I've only lost 9.5 pounds, and I don't see a difference, but I guess she did. I almost hugged her...it was just what I needed to hear today! Another teacher mentioned that it looked like I've lost more than 9.5 pounds...another big smile from me. Finally, my manicurist said that she knew I'd lost weight because I didn't have to struggle to pull up my pant legs for my pedicure.

I don't know if it's right to feel this way, but I'm so proud of myself right now! I've stuck with this longer than I ever have, and I'm beginning to think that I will succeed this time. Of course, with new "bestest" friends like all of you cheering me on...I can't lose. Oh wait, I want to lose, don't I??

Thanks for letting me ramble on and on and on. My family gets a little bored with listening to me sometimes.

TTFN!!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 23:03
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I was really like that in the begining, and I think it is good that I was. It took me 10 months to learn how to eat normal sized portions and to become used to not over eating compulsively. I think if I had tried doing this in the begining, it would have caused more pain than pleasure since I would have had the urge to eat the whole thing after tasting it. Now that I've taught myself to eat normally, I will have small bits of high sugar fruits like oranges and starchy veggies like carrots and corn occasionally. Sometimes I will have a nibble of a cookie even .
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 23:38
I'll get there yet!

Plan: Atkins/nutritionist blend
Stats: 319/284.4/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 20%

Lori,
You did good today! And while 9.5 pounds may not seem like a lot to you, obviously other people see it!

You only have to deal with treats in the staff room once a month? We have treat days every Friday! A different group brings in goodies each week; we're a big enough staff that we only have to sign up for 4x per year. Originally, everything was HC--donuts, tea breads, chocolate, chocolate, more chocolate. I've noticed, though, that people are starting to bring in LC friendly treats: today we had some chicken wings, meat balls, and veggies with dips. Didn't notice if there was chocolate or not!

Jude
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 06:44
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

This is a really inspiring thread. Lori, way to to with your noticable loss. I, too, have supportive workmates and it does help with the motivation.

I am one of those who is afraid to take even a little bit of anything forbidden. I have done that so many times and ruined a diet that I don't trust myself. Will I ever? I don't know. My sister (of normal weight) and I had a conversation on this same topic last night. She is not overweight but she has a cholesterol problem. I suggested she try LC for a month to see if it made a difference for her. She couldn't see keeping it up for her whole life - and she's on cholesterol meds. We are eash different, I guess, and have to fight our battles on our own terms in the way we can be successful.

Onward now to the gym to start to fulfill the TDC Fitness Challenge!