Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 00:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/123 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress:

I'm new here and I'm sooo glad I found this site! Tomorrow, I finish my 1st week of induction. Frankly, I am sick of the eggs, meat, and cheese. This just doesn't feel like a "girl" diet...at least this section. I just want a nice bowl of cereal sometimes. Plus, this goes counter to the low-fat shopping, cooking, and eating I've been doing for years. Come on, REAL butter! Not a fat-free spray!?! And heavy whipping cream?!? I keep expecting to balloon up! Bought a scale and weighed myself on the evening of day 2. On that day, I was 140 (but I had been 143 after Christmas, but prior to the flu where I didn't eat much for a few days). It dropped to nearly 133 right a way, but stablized at about 135. I think I had lots of water at 1st (or a bad scale!?). Anyway, my clothes feel the same and I think I look the same. My rings are a bit looser. I measured, but d/h "put away" my ta[pe measure and lost it. He is on Atkins too. The past 2 days have been agony. Lots of stress and I wanted to stress-eat!!! Today I wanted to dive face first into a bag of spicy nacho doritos and follow it w/ a pan of chocolate chip brownies and milk. But I ate sausage and cheese instead. I'm eating more veggies than I ever have! Trying new recipes and new ways to cook. I'm going to try the mock French toast. Pork rinds? REALLY? Never had them.
Are pork rinds ok to eat as a crunchy snack? How about seasoned ones, in moderation of course???

Can we have any of the chocolate or controled carb ice cream yet if in Induction? I've been DYING for chocolate! I bought some on sale and had some with whipped cream and actually couldn't finish it, but boy was it great! Just knowing I have it and can have a taste is oddly soothing.

For a sweet, try pumpkin pie (no crust). You get your carb/veggie in the pumpkin and instead of "sweetened, condensed milk", use "evaporated milk" and add Splenda. Tastes JUST like real pumpkin pie. Cover in whipped cream and you are set!!!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 09:02
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Evaporated milk is still higher carb and not allowed.

Make sure to reread the induciton chapter. If it is not on the allowed foods list, then it's a no during induciton. Induction is a time to get over those sweet cravings and break the habit. Having chocoaltes and icecream would just make the cravings continue.

Pork rinds are fine to have. For the pumpkin, use cream cheese or heavy cream, both of which are allwoed in controlled amounts on induciton.

Acceptable foods
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html

Rules of Induciton
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-325810.html
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 10:48

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 186/155/148 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 82%

Hmm, I will look for a recipe thread or maybe even start one, but I am not ready for a journal. I still can't even find my way around and am clueless about 99% of things about the tech stuff of a forum. I know, I really need to take the time to read the faqs and stuff and get over my fear of doing something wrong that will like jettison the forum into another dimension or something.

Hello, Gringo, I know this is weird, but I actually lost too much weight and went on a carb binge to gain weight back these last 2 months. And yup it is easy to gain weight just by eating carbs. Plus now I remember how I always felt hungry before.

Any way, it is time to stabilize and even lose some weight. I am really looking forward to eating low carb again since it feels so good for me. I am going to go to 40 grams a day, which compared to induction is a party. Then try once more to slowly add carbs and maybe this time I won't overshoot my weight loss. I have *never* had a problem being too thin before! This diet has been fantastic.

Induction can be the pits, but boy when you add your 5 grams of nuts, you will really enjoy it. What was key for me was the list in the atkins new diet revolution of things that have 5 grams of carbs. I made a copy and just picked one thing. I also came up with my own additions and wrote them down to memorize them. Then the next week I chose another thing to add. I love nuts so those were the first things I added.

You are in the fun time believe it or not, since when you add stuff back, you will know the joy of eating. As opposed to before, if you are like me, you ate so many things you never really appreciated them.

Does the produce ailsle in a grocery store smell wonderful to you yet? I remember feeling like I could just smell the sugars. A pepper never tasted so good. I am so excited to be going back to low carbing. I am on day 2 and really loving it. I just have to work harder at finding how many carbs I need to eat to keep my weight stable. But I tell you, I am toying with going back to induction.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 10:59
Phoenixa

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

centikel,
the great thing with having a journal is that you can always be reached in it. Threads come and go, but your journal stays in your signature all the time as a button for anyone (incl yourself) to push and you'll be taken there.

Our journals are our bootcamps/homes where we can chitchat about basically anything. These other threads are more topic specific.

Cheers,
/gil