Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 07:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 161/141/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Curves?

A friend and I are going to check out a local Curves tomorrow morning since I'm definitely not exercising consistently on my own like a should. I'm curious as to what results various members have had with this program?

The idea of getting a total workout in 30 minutes definitely appeals to me!
Thanks!
Carol
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 08:34

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Love CURVES..just started going again (out 3 mos due to bad back and laziness). FOr someone like me that hates exercise, I find this a quick and efficient way to tone down. My CURVES has 14 machines with 14 boards (that you do jumps, aerobic, dance..what not) and the 30 minute workout fits right into my morning routine. Definitely Recommended.

I dropped 6% body fat in 6 months with CURVES and LC. Go for it...
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 10:20

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

#4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 22:55

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I am going to have to join the Curves group. I have been a Curves member since November and I am doing quite well. It is amazing that you can get so much results in a 1/2 hour workout. This is the first time I have been faithful to any exercise regimen this so long.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 12:36

Stats: 259/191/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

I joined Curves because of the mega-thread on Curves; probably the one sited by Galadriell. It a freaking miracle: I love it! Please check my gym log for my take on my Curves experience through December*.

* I'm still going to Curves on a regular basis, but I've not been posting in my journal or gym log since the holidays. My losses for December were 6.5 lbs and 7.5 inches.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 15:58
Registered Member

Stats: 161/141/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureMoon
I joined Curves because of the mega-thread on Curves; probably the one sited by Galadriell. It a freaking miracle: I love it! Please check my gym log for my take on my Curves experience through December*.

* I'm still going to Curves on a regular basis, but I've not been posting in my journal or gym log since the holidays. My losses for December were 6.5 lbs and 7.5 inches.

What great results! We did join on Friday for 3 months and will make a call from there. We went today for the first orientation and workout, we both loved it! The 30 minutes just flew by which is my kind of exercise!

Carol
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 10:36
Registered Member

Plan: Mediterranean based
Stats: 205/190/140 Female 5'7"
BF:44/42/23
Progress: 23%

Curves is a great place to start, especially if you are uncomfortable in a typical large gym (where I find people can be rather intimidating and competitive), and respond to a highly supportive atmosphere.

The best workout is the one you will actually do every day, so if Curves is a place you will go every day, that's an excellent place to start. I think we should all aim to be active every day.

That said, there are a couple of points to keep in mind, both taken from the Prevention Magazine article on Curves http://www.prevention.com/cda/featu...1-6337,00.html?

"While Curves has earned kudos for getting sedentary women moving, it has some limitations. "This program is great for out-of-shape beginners," says Prevention fitness advisor Wayne Westcott, PhD. "The machines are easy to use and unlikely to cause soreness, but they provide resistance only during the lifting phase of the exercises, so your muscles only get a partial workout."

Curves' advertising implies that you will never need more than the half hour circuit, but I suspect most of us will, after a few months, want to move on to a more challenging workout to further our fitness goals. Personally, I like to feel like I had to push a bit to finish my workout, so as my body adapts, I make things a bit tougher.