Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 00:46
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/170/150 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 73%

I got the "You're too thin!" comments from my relatives back when my weight was under 140. However, I tended to give more credence to what I was hearing from prospective sex partners then, so I mostly just ignored them. I know my relatives love me, so I'm not going to worry about it when I get to my goal weight.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 01:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/120/130 Female 5"3
BF: ?
Progress: 120%

I know exactly how you feel, I got one of those comments from someone on this board
What really bugs me is the comments that come from people that nagged you about losing weight(my mil) in the first place... now you have and they are still complaining. You cannot please everyone....so now I am all about making myself happy and being healthy.

cheers,
Judi
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 02:33
"Princess" of Norway

Plan: Atkins / Lindberg
Stats: 187/169/143 Female 162 cm
BF:Yes
Progress: 41%

This is the comment Smurf got on her Goal Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_Ireland
Congratulations, and don't take this the wrong way, but you're too skinny now. Go eat a baked potato or something. I'm honestly not being mean, I'm just worried about your health.

One thing is when friends and family tells you you're to thin - another is when people at this board post comments like the above......

I read this yesterday and almost posted a curt reply ...... but I did'nt want to sink to PT_Irelands level........

I wish that someone would tell me I'm to skinny.......never happened...ever !!!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 07:02

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Yeah...I've gotten those comments almost since my loss first started becoming noticeable. It doesn't make me feel good at all when people say it because I know its not true. I can look in the mirror and see that I still need to lose. I don't have an issue where I might "see" myself as fat when I'm really too thin.

I did use those comments as justification for not staying on this woe a few times. Just kind of rationalized things to myself, but bottom line is...I don't know what weight I will end up at as my final goal, but I will know it when I get there and I am NOT really even close. I still feel I have a significant bit to lose...not as much as when I started, but I could lose another 25 or 30 lbs. easily and that's the plan

L
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 07:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/161.2/146 Female 5ft 6in
BF:yep, sure have !!
Progress: 82%

I can so relate to the above post !!

Since Christmas Ive been told by a number of people that 'you dont want to lose anymore weight' , 'you need to be careful that you dont go all anoxeric on us' and even yesterday I was told by someone that 'i was starting to look gaunt' .

So so annoys me, I know I have more weight to lose, Ive checked my target weight against what my BMi would be and it indicates that I would be within a 'normal' weight bracket, and my current weight shows a BMi of 27.7 which is classed as overweight so I know im not being unrealistic with my targets.

I admit, I look 100 times better than I did at the start of this WOL but I know that I could look better!!

Im sure people think that its a compliment, but I really wish they would keep their opinions to themselves. and if after I have lost say another 7 lbs im happy with the way I look, im more than comfortable with adjusting my target weight - its not set in stone - but you do need an end goal to work towards !!

Guess we just have to ignore them and do what we know is best and realsitic for all of us !!

Lisa x
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 08:24
Registered Member

Stats: 197/165/130 Female 5'4"
BF:??/29/20
Progress: 48%

I think people just don't know much about anorexia, that's what I think. As if being on a diet where you EAT A LOT, EVERY DAY is *anything* like being anorexic. My boyfriend's stepmother, who is severely overweight and unhealthy, gave me this lecture on stopping my diet. Now, I've lost a lot, but I'm nowhere near where I want to be. 160 pounds at 5'4" is NOT "too skinny"!

My advice: Just ignore them.

Holly
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 09:22

Stats: 210/204/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

JustJen, you're progress is something to be very proud of. You know you look great, and it's true people aren't used to the new you yet. I get alot of those comments too, "you're way too skinny, or, you're too big boned to loose more weight"....
I just ask if they'd like to see me naked and then reassess me!!!!
Anyway...Congrats!!! You're and inspiration for sure!!!

Last edited by Tracey71 : Thu, Jan-22-04 at 09:28.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 10:24

Stats: 203/138/140 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I am glad, kinda, that I am not the only one with this problem. I could always use the wanna "see me naked" comment.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 12:18

Stats: 164/135/140 Female 5 4
BF:28%
Progress: 121%

Yup, I'd get the "too thin" comment after I lost all the weight... but it was from ppl who didn't know me years ago when I was at this weight, so they didn't know I have always been on the thin side. I realized it was a shock to them, they weren't used to me that way, plus, many ppl worry you will go too far, which is concern. Also, it's a way some ppl compliment, saying "you're thin!" It's like "wow, that "diet" worked!" My MIL would make a comment everytime she'd see me, but she's stopped now, she's realized this is the way I am now, get used to it!
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 13:04

Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

OMG I get this all the time too....I can't stand it. Drives me NUTS! I think each individual knows their body best and knows what weight they feel comfortable at.

Quote:
Yeah...I've gotten those comments almost since my loss first started becoming noticeable. It doesn't make me feel good at all when people say it because I know its not true. I can look in the mirror and see that I still need to lose. I don't have an issue where I might "see" myself as fat when I'm really too thin.

That is exactly how I feel too.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 13:22

Stats: 196/150/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Angry Glad I'm not the only one!

I get it from my mother. It is usually after I say something like I intend to lose another 20 lbs. Sher replies with something like this:

"You know, you look fine. You don't want to be TOO skinny or unhealthy."

This is also the woman that is a WW/low fat guru who actually likes low fat/no fat products. Blech! She is convinced that Atkins is going to kill me, even if she hasn't read the book (and I've even bought her a copy!). She was on the phone first thing Monday morning to tell me about the article in the New York newspaper.

Now, I am in the 150s currently, and I'm 5'6". I want to be in the 130s, which is in the middle of the recommended weight limits for my age and height. This is not "too skinny" or unhealthy at all. Plus, and most importantly - I eat! I eat healthy stuff, meats, lots of veggies, cheese and I snack on almonds. I sure as heck eat better stuff than her "frankenfoods".

I just wish she'd READ THE BOOK!

Whew! Rant over!
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 13:26

Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

I have a few comments that I save uo for times like this.
Like when someone tells me I should stop doing Atkins, I've already lost enough, blah blah blah, I tell them that it is not a diet, it's not just for weight loss,I'm in it for life, etc.

My favorite is when people hear "no-carb" when you say "low-carb." There's a HUGE difference people!

Those people who mention anorexia should be handed a dictionary, and a sample daily menu of the average LC'er.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 13:39

Plan: Atkins OWL 30g
Stats: 150/135/125 Female 66"
BF:?/18%/15%
Progress: 60%

Call me a cynic, but a fundamental aspect of SOME people's personalities is that they do not like seeing other people happy, or they are jealous of someone else's success. Some people may not want you to lose any more weight because they feel threatened by your improved appearance. Given your height and weight (similar to mine), you are at a healthy weight, and losing a few more if that is what you want to do would not make you too thin. I want to be 125 myself, but even losing another 15 lb. at my height would not, in my opinion, make me look too thin. You just have to smile at those people, say "Thank you, I take that as a compliment" and walk away.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 14:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/180/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 46%

I'm only half way to goal and when I said that to three friends they went all, on no you don't need to lose any more weight. These are all overweight people saying this. However, nothing more was said when I said I I'm going by what the BMI Chart says I should weigh to achieve that and be healthy.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 17:12
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 172/163/124 Female 62.5"
BF:31/29.5/24
Progress: 19%

In defense of all those well meaning friends and relatives, there is some truth to the "haggard" comment. Don't forget how the body moves fat around: you lose it from the top down, and then redistribute it from the bottom up. That is, most people lost weight from their face and neck and upper chest first, only from the ab, hips and thighs as it shifts from there upward. Apparently this process takes about six months (there's a thread around somewhere that I can't find, of course). So after you hit goal, your face with fill out a little and soften up (some people even report their boobs get perkier - may the Lord hear me typing those words ...) Be prepared at that time for people to say "you're putting back a couple of those pounds, are you? See, I told you that you were too thin!"

But you can't win with mothers and cousins, is my experience!