Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 08:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/158.0/130 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default stall in 2nd week of induction?? Advice pls!

Since Sunday I have not moved from 158 lbs. My husband is losing lbs like crazy (2-3 a day!) I am so frustrated! I lost 6 from last Monday to Sunday, now nothing. I am drinking a ton (a gallon a day) of water and keeping my carbs below 20.

Here are my meals this week:

2 fried eggs and 1 piece of lunch ham

Bunless burger with swiss/mushrooms and bacon some salad and mayonaise

steak and brocolli

Tuesday:

same breakfast & 2 cups decaf coffee with heavy cream and splenda

1 ham and cheese roll up and 2 turkey and cheese roll ups and 8 black olives (I was hungry!)

Chicken breasts with bacon and cheese on them & salad

1 glass of wine (I know I shouldn't but never had a prob. before)

todays menu:

2 sausage links

2 fried eggs and 2 slices ham

bunless burger with cheddar cheese and bacon with a salad

thanks for any advice you can give!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 08:52

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%

Pizza, this is not at all unusual, I think especially for women. You're doing fine!

I lost 8 lbs my first week of induction and then one the next and it's really gone slow since then.

Your diet looks pretty good - make sure you're getting enough veggies in.

Don't compare yourself to your hub. I'm sure you know men lose faster. Besides your TOM may be affecting you too. But really I think your results are quite good.

Squid
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 08:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 176.5/172/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Some people might scream at me for saying this, but I think you are drinking too much water. I drink 2 liters a day, and if I drink more- I do not lose. Maybe it is just me though and my body. It is different for everyone.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 09:00
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Squid made some excellent points there.

Also, a "stall" is 4-6 weeks of neither losing lbs or inches. Do you measure yourself? We often lose inches when the scale stands still. Much better way of following our results (as lean muscle weighs more than fat, but takes less space.) www.mybodycomp.com

And the average weight loss during induction is said to be 10% of your total desired weightloss, which for you would mean 3.5lbs. So you've made a terrific start.

Your menue looks fine to me, but if you want to try some tweaks, maybe cut down on the cream and cheese a bit (dairy slows some people down), wait with that wine until OWL and beware of too salty foods (bacon etc) that can cause water retention. Also make sure your brand of bacon isn't cured with sugar. Do you use fitday to track your daily food intake? www.fitday.com

Just stay focused and you'll be fine!
Best of luck!

/gil
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 09:20
Getting back to me

Plan: LC WW
Stats: 176/167.2/145 Female 5'7" in
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
And the average weight loss during induction is said to be 10% of your total desired weightloss, which for you would mean 3.5lbs. So you've made a terrific start.

I've never heard this before. If it's true, it makes me feel better. Two is the last day of Induction for me and I am only down 8 lbs. So, this is 2x more than 10%. Thanks!

Last edited by danakins : Wed, Jan-21-04 at 09:21.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 09:34
Phoenixa

"Only" isn't a word that automatically comes to mind when describing a weightloss of 8lbs in 13 days. Especially not since you don't have that much overweight to begin with. (Normally, the less we have to shake, the slower it goes initially...)

Congrats danakins!

/gil
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 17:41
Getting back to me

BF:

Thanks, Gil! You just read all about these people who lose 12-15 lbs during Induction and I know that the loss is going to slow way down after.

Thanks again!

Dana
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 18:17

Stats: 203.5/163/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 52%

Atkins says what is normal is 10% of the weight you need to lose during induction and then 5% each month after that. With 28 more lbs to lose that would be 1.4 lbs this month, 1.3 lbs the next month and so on. You don't have much to lose so it will be slow going, just stick with it! And I don't think 1 gallon of water is too much. I drink that much also
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 18:26

Plan: Atkins since 5/27/03
Stats: 202/167/150 Female 67.25
BF:
Progress: 67%

I think 8 lbs down is great. Doesn't sound like you have enough veggies...3 cups a day. I ate more, whe I eat more now my weight loss definitley speeds up...Keep with it, it will happen. Plus men lose MUCH faster than women, don't compare, it's just too depressing. Remember it's not a competition but a woe...
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 18:31

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
You just read all about these people who lose 12-15 lbs during Induction

Dana...you have to realize that people who lose that much during induction first are more the exception than the rule and second usually started out with a great deal to lose; 10% of 100 pounds is 10 pounds and 10% of 20 pounds would be 2 pounds. A lot less pounds to be sure, but still 10%. It's unfortunate that Dr. Atkins choose to include such examples in his book and gave the impression that what those people lost was "normal" for induction, but the fact is that it's not.
You're doing great, Dana...stick with it!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 18:34
Phoenixa

I also drink about 1 gallon of water/day. If I drink less I start hovering, once upping the water again, I continue losing weight.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 18:42
Happy Spring!!!

Plan: Will be starting SBD soon
Stats: 226.5/223.5/175 Female 5'7
BF:34%/33%/lo as poss
Progress: 6%

Do not cut down on the water, if anything up it, you eat a lot of salt in the bacon, ham, sausage and such. If you continue to eat that much salt you need that much more water to keep it flushed out.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 18:43

Stats: 152/147/120 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarOrchid
Atkins says what is normal is 10% of the weight you need to lose during induction and then 5% each month after that. With 28 more lbs to lose that would be 1.4 lbs this month, 1.3 lbs the next month and so on. You don't have much to lose so it will be slow going, just stick with it! And I don't think 1 gallon of water is too much. I drink that much also

Hey StarOrchid.... when you say 1.4lbs this month, 1.3lbs the next, do you mean per week or per month? I have about the same amount of weight to lose and my goal is to have shed it by May (have a friends wedding to attend). If what you are saying is per month, than that means I would have only lost about 4.2lbs in 3 months... that is pretty discouraging Could some please please clarify! Thanks!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 19:30

Stats: 204.5/157/142 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

I lost 5 lbs my first week and then nothing for the next 2. This week Im down 2.5....It'll happen. Patience, I learned, is the key.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 19:39
Getting back to me

BF:

Thanks to all for the encouragement! I feel much better already with the lbs that are gone...and that's the point!

Patience is not my strong suit but, I have resigned myself to it taking as long as it takes and that this is truly a WOL going forward.

Thanks again!
Danakins