Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 09:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192/173.5/150 Female 5'3 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Not right for me?

I'm into my 2nd week of induction and it looks like i gained 5 lbs. I haven't cheated once and I don't understand why i'm gaining instead of losing.....could it be that Atkins isn't for me? I do feel that i am addicted to carbs...i love all the stuff i can't have

Another question that i know could be related to the first problem.....has anyone else missed their TOM since starting atkins? I don't usually miss and i'm about 1 1/2 wks late. I know that part of my problem could be water but I took a diuretic yesterday and like i said...i gained between 4-5 lbs. Usually that makes me lose a few but not this time. anyone else have this problem?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 09:13

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%

I'd keep trying induction for another two weeks before you give up. I'm sure your TOM is affecting you, especially if it's that late.

I know it's so frustrating to see others losing weight on induction and know that you're not. But I do think it's too early to decide this WOE isn't for you.

Have you posted your meals before so people can comment on whether or not you might be letting extra carbs sneak in or perhaps not eating enough? Are you getting enough fat at this early part in the program? Going too low fat can hurt results.

Hang in there Sinistres and don't give up yet ok??

Squid
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 09:18

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Even when I was on induction, not drinking enough water would bring my weight loss to a screeching halt. Water (not tea, coffee, pop, or anything else) is key to weight loss because of the relationship between the kidneys and the liver and their roles in metabolizing fat. For me, two quarts a day is a minimum.

Also, are you eating your veggies? I agree with Squid: please post a menu, and we may be able to help.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 09:28

Stats: 330/217/190 Male 70 in
BF:?/30/less than 20
Progress: 81%

If you are late, could you be pregnent?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 09:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

You might not be drinking ENOUGH water. It's common for people to lower their water intake when they are retaining, but it just makes the problem worse by increasing the sodium content of your body cells, and then they retain MORE water.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 09:40

BF:

Thanks for replying....no..I'm not pregnant...at least I shouldn't be unless there is somthing I don't know..lol.

Here's a sample of my menu....maybe it will help.

Breakfast... atkins shake or morning start bar. (I know they are not very recommended but I can't eat the eggs..they make me sick)

Lunch.....Salad with dressing...sometimes with meat on the side or in it.

Dinner.....4 oz of chicken topped with mushroom and mozzarella cheese, a salad with dressing and sometimes a veggie

In between meals I drink about 64 oz of water...eat pork rinds or cheese for snacks, maybe a quick ham roll up or something like that.
I usually try to do 20-30 minutes of pilates 3x a week (I am not workout person) and 50 crunches on the other days.

hopefully this will help!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 10:09

Stats: 152/147/120 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I would try to cut out the bars and shakes for a while. I know its hard, but it does seem to give people problems. If eggs make you sick, try something else for your first meal of the day.. it doesn't have to be "breakfast" food. Maybe some turkey or chicken, or the ham roll-up you mention you eat as a snack.

Keep the pork rinds to a minimum.. they are very salty and, at least in my case, seem to cause a mild case of bloating.

I too haven't been loosing as much weight as I would like.. have been on induction 3 weeks already, but I am going to stick with it and hope to get hit by the "woosh" fairy everyone rants and raves about

Good Luck!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 10:32
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I thnk it's one of those combinations of factors.. teh bars might not be helping, the salt in the pork rinds, ham, etc. might be making you retain water ...add this to TOM coming up (it's common for your cycle to be a bit "off" when starting low-carb, BTW) and I'll bet you're packing a lot of water weight.

I gain more water weight than I used to pre-lc. Personally, I'd NOT take diuretics, and rely on drinking more water, eating more veggies, and sticking with it for a little longer. If you still can't lose after TOM is over, then it'd be time to take another look at the plan, IMHO.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 10:36

BF:

Oh I know....I've read that alot here...get rid of the bars and shakes but they are so easy to have for morning..i just hate eating in the morning! But, I am going to try to make this thing work so I a made some deviled eggs last night and am making some of the sausage balls today and i thought maybe a deviled egg and a sausage ball might be stomachable in the morning...I don't know but I will try

I'm just worried that maybe atkin's won't work for me.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 10:41
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I'll likely get thumped on the head for saying this, but if you can't stomach breakfast, I'd say skipping it would be better than the bars! The shakes aren't so bad, though, since they don't seem to have the sugar alcohols the bars do. I just don't think it does any good to force food if you don't feel hungry.

Some days breakfast of ANY kind just gags me, frankly, so I have a small snack later in the morning, when my stomach "wakes up"....
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 11:08

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I also eat breakfast a little later than most. I usually don't eat it until 9:30-10:00 and I get up at 6:30. I cook up a bunch of breakfast link sausages for DH and I, enough for about 3 days. Then I either fry a few eggs just slightly the night before then when I nuke them at work they are still soft, or I take two soft boiled eggs and eat it with 2 sausage links in the morning. It is quick and easy and just filling enough.

I would stick to it for a few more weeks and see what happens. As for TOM it really messes me up. The pills I take make my TOM very easy, almost to where I don't have one at all. Both times I started LC'ing I had normal one for over a week both times. That is why I don't want to eat too many carbs because it really screws my body up.

Wee
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 11:23
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

I agree. There's no rule that says you must eat as soon as you get up. I can't. You just aren't supposed to skip meals, and to not go more than 6 waking hours without eating. I usually can't eat for a couple hours after rising.

You're far better off waiting a bit and having a snacky breakfast a bit later than eating the bars. Once you're past Induction, you can make your own shakes that will be cheaper and enable YOU to control the carb count.

K.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 11:52

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Also...don't forget that there is no rule saying breakfast has to be eggs I have been known to even eat roast beef for breakfast at times...lol.

L
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 14:47

Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

I love love love pork rinds but find when I eat too many or eat them too often I gain.....same thing with too much bacon. I think it is all the sodium in both of those foods. HTH
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 15:18

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

Yep. I agree with all the advice given, here.
Try to eat whole foods, as much as possible. Stick with whole, unprocessed meats and try to derive almost all of your carbohydrate intake from veggies. Use oil/vinegar on your salads.

Barring any unusual metabolic disturbances (namely thyroid), if you can do this, I almost guarantee you will lose.