Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 09:45

Plan: Atkins Nutritionals
Stats: 226/204/150 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Re: Good Morning America Atkins program

Just got done watching the Atkins review on GMA today (I taped it)
They had a medical doctor advisor from the Atkins group a Dr. Stuart Trayer or Strayer, but anyway he basically set everybody straight about the NY Times article, saying there is no revision to the Atkins diet and they are not recommending any saturated fat daily percentages, only to "eat liberally" until satified, eating a wide variety of proteins and fats, watching carbs.

I think the Dr. did a good job of clarifying things and support Dr. Atkins!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 09:47
overeasy

Plan: No grains/sugar/alcohol
Stats: 221/175.4/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I saw that this morning, I was so happy that the Doctor put the media straight!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 09:51

Plan: Atkins Nutritionals
Stats: 226/204/150 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Tomorrow on GMA is a show about Atkins and/or lc eating at restaurants.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 11:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Same Old Atkins?

Atkins Reps Say Diet Has Not Been Changed, Despite Recent Reports

link to ABC article

N E W Y O R K, Jan. 20 — Dr. Stuart Trager, of the Atkins' diet group, says the low-carb diet plan has not made any recent modifications, despite a report that its followers are being encouraged to cut back on the beef.

Trager, the chairman of the Atkins Physicians Council, an advisory group of medical doctors that advises, among others, Atkins Nutritionals Inc., told ABCNEWS' Good Morning America that the Atkins diet plan offers the same guidelines as it did back in 1972, when Dr. Robert Atkins first introduced the plan.

"We're not changing our message. It's still a diet that lets people eat liberally," Trager said. "For years and years, Dr. Atkins has always talked about this being a balance of fats and proteins and a variety."

While a front-page story in Sunday's New York Times article reports that Colette Heimowitz, the director of research and education for Atkins Nutritionals, is telling health professionals in seminars around the country that only 20 percent of a dieter's calories should come from saturated fat, Trager says people have misinterpreted Heimowitz's instructions. He says, despite all the talk, the diet has not been modified at all.

"The number, 20 percent came about when we tried to calculate from our diet plans what we're actually recommending in terms of what you eat. The Atkins induction phase where 60 percent of your calories come from fat, 20 percent ends up being saturated fat," Trager said. "We're not changing our message. It's still a diet that let's people eat liberally."

A press statement released Tuesday by Atkins said: "Atkins has not changed. The basic tenets of the Atkins Nutritional Approach, consistent since 1972, are control the intake of refined carbohydrates (like sugar and white flour), eat a balance of fats (including saturated fat but not trans fats) and a balance of proteins including red meat. Saturated fat remains a valuable part of the Atkins Nutritional Approach."

Meanwhile, some doctors say they are not comfortable recommending the Atkins diet in its current design.

Dr. David L. Katz, of the Yale Prevention Research Center in Derby, Conn., has strongly steered his patients away from the Atkins diet.

"All major organizations involved in nutrition recommend a saturated fat intake maximally half of what Atkins is now recommending, namely 10 percent of calories," Katz said. "Most such groups and I share this view and recommend a total (regular) fat intake of approximately 20 to 25 percent of calories."

Katz says the threshold chosen by the Atkins camp is clearly excessive.

Dr. Joe Breault, of the Ochsner Clinic Foundation in New Orleans said that Atkins can work, but is best when a modified approach is used.

"My patients who keep to the Atkins diet with sensible modifications (limit saturated fats, portion size) and do exercise have great results in weight loss, cholesterol readings and health," Breault said. "I agree with (Atkins) that carbs are generally bad for you in the amounts and types Americans consume. Unfortunately, the issue is complex and hard to explain in a 15-minute visit," he said.

Meanwhile, Stuart says he believes the Atkins diet, without modifications, works best since most people don't like a lot of restrictions.

"We're finding that people don't like to be told what not to eat when it comes to foods that taste good," Trager said.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 12:15

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

At the end of the 11pm CTV National News last night, they did a story on the change to Aktins. An Atkins employed doctor was interviewed who said you should limit the amount of beef you eat. Also, a nutrisinist said Aktins was bad for you. They also showed a clip of Aktins himself saying you can eat all the steak and eggs you want.

On the whole a very confused story.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 18:18

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Good!!! Well, you know you cannot trust the media any further than you can throw them. Yet the majority treats them like they know everything.

Black57