Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 01:43

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 292/249/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Thumbs up Misinformation by local news station averted!

Hello everyone; I just wanted to report on this happy incident here. It really shows that we *can* make a difference on a personal, individual level!

Earlier tonight, here in San Diego, Fox 6 TV news ran a couple bumpers (for lack of a better word) proclaiming vigorously "Atkins Changes The Rules! Tune in at 10 pm for the details on what you should be eating!"

This set off major red flags in my brain, and I hopped on the net to see what was up. An email waited in my inbox from Atkins.com (http://atkins.com/about/recentnews/...NotChanged.html) which vigorously refuted the F.U.D. going around right now about the "eat less steak" thing. I was indignant.

So...I ranted to my boyfriend for a while about how the media sucks, it's all sensationalism, how the low-fat deception is too well entrenched in the human psyche. Boyfriend recommended I call or email the TV station, which I declined to do since I felt that it would do absolutely ZERO good. I just had no faith whatsoever in the media.

So, boyfriend shoots off the following email to Fox 6:
To: Fox 6 News
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 8:42 PM
Subject: The Atkins story you are planning to report tonight is most likely
untrue.

(Source:) http://atkins.com/about/recentnews/...NotChanged.html

(Excerpt:) ""Make That Steak a Bit Smaller, Atkins Advises Today's Dieters," published in the January 18th edition of The New York Times--and the subsequent publicity--is yet another dramatically inappropriate example of the media reporting on the media and perpetuating a false report on Atkins. ..."

If you plan on going ahead with this untrue story, please report on "both
sides of the issue" and at least let the viewers know that Atkins denies the
story.

Well, the next bumper we heard about a half hour later was along the lines of "Has the Atkins diet really changed? More on this story at 10 pm." Needless to say, both my sweetie and I were stunned, but still a bit suspicious...but we found out shortly that it was true: the TV station had visited the Atkins.com site and read the "Atkins Has Not Changed" article, and completely reversed the content of their TV report on the Atkins diet! WOOHOO!!!

We received this reply back from Fox 6:
Sent: Mon 1/19/2004 8:58 PM
Subject: RE: Viewer Story Feedback

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We will look into it
immediately. Please tune into Fox 6 News at 10:00 p.m. for the latest. I
promise we will bring you "both sides of the issue."

Thank you,
Christine Tanaka
Managing Editor
Fox 6 News

Now how cool is THAT?!

-- Nicky
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 05:35
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Whoah, YOU GO GIRL!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 05:53

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

That's great that your boyfriend did that.
My mil had me watch the news yesterday, she said there was a story on about Atkins diet. I watched it and thought 'oh, great, now she is going to tell me that the Atkins diet must not be good for you, if they are changing it." Thank God, she never called me back. I would have had to defend myself by saying how I eat less meat now than I did before. In fact I eat less of everything.
I had this same email in my inbox and ran straight over to this part of the forum and found your post. I had the atkins.com link copied and ready to paste. I cannot believe that it was a lie. I thought Atkins really changed so they could get more doctors on the Atkins bandwagon.
I was thinking ,poor Dr Atkins is rolling over in his grave. He is only gone for a year and they are changing his plan.I am relieved that it is not true. I can't wait until they have it on the news again and say how it was all a big lie.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 06:00

Plan: Low Carb Lifestye, Atkins
Stats: 515/474.5/180 Male 71 Inches
BF:Got Some
Progress: 12%

The media loves to bash the low carb thing, they need to make drama to drive the ratings, they know Atkins is popular right now and another story about how many people are low carbing is boring, so, let inject a little conflict. Its sad but I saw this same story on CNN, Local News and AOL the media cant wait to bash, I posted the info from Atkins website just before Ellipsis started this thread. I am so glad you were able to change the story and gave them a true outlook on the Low Carb Lifestyle.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 07:05
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Awsome story Nicky

Wa'il
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 09:57

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Nicky! Great job!

Sad isn't it tho, that a viewer has to point out that research should be done!?!?!?!?!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 11:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Nicely done!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 11:39

Plan: Low Glycemic
Stats: 298/300/125 Female 5'3"
BF:Too much!
Progress: -1%

I agree - great job for sure!! But I'm sure that when I return to work this week, my co-workers who aren't really following the story but just catching headlines can't wait to tell me about how Atkins was wrong and blah blah blah blah blah! Your info helps my confirmation that the original reporting was incorrect. Thanks

Last edited by Lindazkewl : Tue, Jan-20-04 at 11:41.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 17:57

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 292/249/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySue48
Sad isn't it tho, that a viewer has to point out that research should be done!?!?!?!?!

So true! I'm also a bit stunned that no one else in the Fox 6 viewership spoke up. We really must try our best to be vigilant against sensational press!

-- Nicky