Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 01:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/188/185 Male 6 feet
BF:28%/12%/5%
Progress: 93%
Default My story (changing diets)

If anyone is interested how I got off atkins without putting on all the weight back on read below.

The way I did it was by slowly adding carbs back into my diet week by week. First with veggies, then with fruit. When I added fruit my cravings started to come back and it took some discipline to fight them off. But after a few weeks I was able to rid myself of them. After the first month I added some treats into my diet (ice cream, cake, juices) mostly desserts no snacks. Then I would allow myself one cheat day a week where I can eat whatever I want.

I did this because every 3 months I shock my body so that I can add more lean muscle mass. You can get off atkins, but it is in no means easy...

From all my studies atkins is by far the best and the most user friendly diets for the common man.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 05:28
Registered Member

Stats: 315/219/185 Male 6 foot 2
BF:
Progress: 74%

"When I added fruit my cravings started to come back and it took some discipline to fight them off. But after a few weeks I was able to rid myself of them. After the first month I added some treats into my diet (ice cream, cake, juices) mostly desserts"

I thought you said after a few weeks you were able to rid yourself of them? then you said you were eating the deserts, I dont get what you mean.

I use to be horrible hooked on ice cream, always was. I cant imagine going back to eating all of that stuff like that. Regardless of the diet you chose, I dont think anyone should consider adding this junk back as a normal part of their diet. A very occasional treat is fine but that is rarely how people do things in this time era. Portion size is usually too big and to frequent.

If you are cheating once a week, how come you consider this a every 3 month shock technique.

I dont understand why you added this stuff to build lean muscle mass. Simple carbs dont build muscle. They dont aid in the repair of muscle tissue so how is that beneficial.

If you are posting this as advice you really need to clarify your plan because right now I really dont understand what your talking about

P.S. adding more vegetables and fruit IS how atkins is supposed to be done, so I guess i could use some clarification here to.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 06:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/190/180 Male 69 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 87%

Battousai

I agree with the above. I hope you don't put you weight back on

Lez
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 08:46

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%

I agree with OneBigMan. The whole theory behind this WOE is to change our bad habits...the sugar and flour and junk food habits. Adding them back in over time is not what the Dr. ordered. I think you may be misleading a lot of newbies with "YOUR" WOE. And having one cheat day per week is defeating the whole purpose of this WOE. One cheat day per week = 12 cheat days in a 3 month cycle. Could you please clairify?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 09:35
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

The first part of your statement holds true to the way you should journey towards lifetime maintenance... slowly adding back in veggies and fruits etc. Curious as to the *cakes and desserts*? Were these LC or high carb things? I cannot see how adding the high carb crap back in is healthy and can be promoted in any way. As for the one cheat day a week, there are LC plans that allow for that, maybe you should explore those options?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 09:35

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

sounds like you were using Atkins as a 'diet' not a new Way of eating.... this isnt a good message to send out to the general population I dont think but I do wish you luck in keeping the weight off. I never plan on having to do eat whatever I want days because theat would make my mindset wrong for me...it would sabotage my efforts. I just dont know what to say... definately do nmot want to offend you and you can do whatever you want for sure! I hope new people dont read this and say "oh I can lose the weight and eat whatever I want again" It really doesnt work this way...
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 10:22
Registered Member

Stats: 315/219/185 Male 6 foot 2
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenzday
sounds like you were using Atkins as a 'diet' not a new Way of eating.... this isnt a good message to send out to the general population I dont think but I do wish you luck in keeping the weight off. I never plan on having to do eat whatever I want days because theat would make my mindset wrong for me...it would sabotage my efforts. I just dont know what to say... definately do nmot want to offend you and you can do whatever you want for sure! I hope new people dont read this and say "oh I can lose the weight and eat whatever I want again" It really doesnt work this way...

exactly what i was thinking.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 10:46
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Well you seem to be a high intensity weight lifter/athlete... but why would anyone else want to go off atkins ?

I have zero desire to eat real cookies cake and ice cream ever again. Why should I when the alternative fake foods are almost as good?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 11:07
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:

Quote:
The way I did it was by slowly adding carbs back into my diet week by week. First with veggies, then with fruit.

That is the ongoing weight loss (OWL) stage. It's not going off Atkins. There is more to Atkins then the two week induction period.

You might look at the Body for Life diet as it is ment for body builders and does have one day off wher eyou eat what you want.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 11:34

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I "went off" Atkins, too. Check out my signature for the results. I did this by adding a few carbs (veggies and fruit) here and there, and having a special "free" meal once a week. Then it turned into a couple free meals a week. Etc.

For your sake, I hope this works for you. It sure didn't work for me. And, by the way, I work out BFL-style three to four times a week, and did during the time I "got stupid."

At least this is my experience.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 12:07
Registered Member

Stats: 211/180/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 44%

I dont think I can do it, my body would go crazy and want everything in site. I do wish u the best of luck with your plan and please keep us posted on your success.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 12:42
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Rather than going "off Atkins" most of us are wondering why the hell we didn't get "on" sooner!

Please don't think your results are typical. Your best advice to others is to get them to read the book carefully and follow it as closely as they can.

Good luck keeping your weight off and your cravings under control. I hope it works for you.

k.

Last edited by Kaillean : Tue, Jan-20-04 at 16:15.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 22:04

Stats: 225/188/185 Male 6 feet
BF:28%/12%/5%
Progress: 93%

I got off atkins in late august and have been doing fine since. I have started induction of atkins again recently to shock my body, I am a high intensity weight lifter and my routine may not be what your looking for. I just wanted to let others know its possible to get off once your on.

p.s. carbohydrates "hydrate" your muscles when it comes to lifting, so once a week I carb loaded (hence me eating the junk)
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 22:29
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I prefer not to take chances, since I'm low-carb to control my insulin, heal my body from years of yo-yo-ing, and keep my blood lipids healthy. I have no desire to go back to eating crap, or to "shock" my body... I think there's likely good reason Dr A advised against abusing induction that way.

To each their own.