Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 17:18

Plan: EFGT/Nourishing Trads
Stats: -/-/- Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 57%
Lightbulb Has a low carb book changed your life?

Radio 4's "Open Book" programme is asking people to nominate a book
that has changed their life -

"Open Book wants to hear from listeners about books that have had a
life changing impact on them. And we mean life changing - books that
have in some fundamental way altered your outlook and affected the
way you live your life."

If a low carb book has changed your life, you might want to register
your nomination at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/op...mail_life.shtml

or

http://tinyurl.com/2rhbv

Let's keep up the low carb profile however we can!

Katy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 07:35

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Thanks for alerting us to this Katy. I've sent a response, given below.

"Dr Robert Atkins - New Diet Revolution

I purchased this book in July 2001 after hearing of it from a colleague. Since then I have lost over 5 stone in weight and this has meant I am a lot more confident and can do so much more than I could before.

Having put on weight following a low fat regime for 10 years this low carb diet plan has revolutionised the way I eat and my whole life.

I now eat a really healty diet and have prevented myself from developing type 2 diabetes, amongst other things.

I still need to lose more weight, but am now the lightest I have been since 1987. I know I can achieve my goal of weighing what I did in 1976, even if it takes another 2 years to get there."
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 10:12

Plan: EFGT/Nourishing Trads
Stats: -/-/- Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 57%

This was my nomination:

"Eat Fat Get Thin" By Dr Barry Groves.

After 20 years of watching my fat intake and eating a high complex carbohydrate "healthy" diet since the Government first made those recommendations in the early 80s, and struggling to keep my weight down all along, I came across "Eat Fat Get Thin" by Dr Barry Groves in early 2001.

He advocates a lower carbohydrate/higher fat way of eating (which is not a "diet"). This is not Atkins, but a no-nonsense lower carbohydrate approach to healthy eating. Barry Groves is British (for a change!) and he and his wife have eaten low carb themselves for 40 years. He has spent the last 20 years in full time research on nutrition and writing and lecturing round the country.

He recommends approx 60g of carbs a day, emphasising fresh meat, fish, cheese, nuts, vegetables and fruit, dairy, cheese and plenty of good fats, and avoiding processed and starchy foods, such as cakes, biscuits, cereals, sweet desserts, etc. He bases his recommendations on the fact that the human body evolved on a “Hunter/Gatherer” diet of fresh meat which was hunted and any berries and seeds that could be gathered in season. As a species, we ate this way for millions of years, and it is only in the last 5,000 or so that cereals and cultivation have been introduced into our diet, which, evolutionarily speaking, is only yesterday. This is far too short a time for us to have evolved an efficient way of digesting high starch foods, and this has contributed to many of the diseases of modern civilization, eg, diabetes, heart disease, stroke and, of course, obesity (especially since we have been advised by well-meaning health professionals to base approximately half our diet on starchy foods ever since the 1970s!)

I have followed this way of eating for almost three years now and have dropped from a size 18 to a size 12/14 without really noticing. I must say that it has done wonders for my health - I sleep very soundly, my skin has improved and I feel fitter and healthier than I have ever felt; I feel strong and full of energy yet more relaxed and peaceful at the same time. My cholesterol ratios and blood fats have also improved.

For me, who used to be a serial dieter (I joined Weight Watchers and successfully lost (and regained!!) weight on their plan six times over 20 years), this is The Answer. I am active on the internet helping to run support sites for other low-carbers, and I write a regular recipe column for Carbhealth Magazine which has subscribers in the US, Canada and the UK. Best of all, I never have to worry about my size again!

#4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 19:32
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

CAD reaffirmed what I always believed about my body chemistry and could never get a nutritionist to listen/affirm.