Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 09:03
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default CNN Report: Atkins advises cutback on meat

The media is just eating this up :-(

Report: Atkins advises cutback on meat
Monday, January 19, 2004 Posted: 9:49 AM EST (1449 GMT)

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Promoters of the popular low-carbohydrate, high-fat Atkins diet are saying that people should lit their intake of saturated fat by cutting back on Atkins staples such as meat, cheese and butter, The New York Times reported on Sunday.

Responding to criticism from scientists that Atkins could lead to heart disease and other health problems, the director of research and education for Atkins Nutritionals, Colette Heimowitz, is telling health professionals that only 20 percent of a dieter's calories should come from saturated fat, the paper said.

Beef, pork, lamb and butter were on the list of "foods you may eat liberally" in diet founder Dr. Robert C. Atkins' plan. Atkins' original 1972 book, "Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution," was contrary to the recommendations of most nutritional experts at the time. It has become increasingly popular since the 1992 publication of his book, "Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution."

Atkins, who died last year, always maintained that people should eat other food besides red meat, but had trouble getting that message out, the paper said.

The change comes as new low-carb diets are gaining in popularity, with many calling for less saturated fats. The South Beach Diet is one such plan and has sold millions of copies of its book since its launch last year. The book is currently No. 1 on the New York Times best-seller list.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 09:09
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

Quote:
Promoters of the popular low-carbohydrate, high-fat Atkins diet

Why is it that now they suddenly realize that atkins is a high fat low carb plan but for god knows how long they have been calling it high protein?

Quote:
Responding to criticism from scientists that Atkins could lead to heart disease and other health problems, the director of research and education for Atkins Nutritionals, Colette Heimowitz, is telling health professionals that only 20 percent of a dieter's calories should come from saturated fat...

according to what research?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 09:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

I said this in another forum, but I'll say it here, too.

"Thanks Colette Heimowitz. You have now made the Atkins Nutrition Plan a global laughingstock."
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 09:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Wait... CColette Heimowitz, M.S. wrote this article:
Quote:
Big Fat Lies
Colette Heimowitz, M.S.
Saturated fat has gotten a bum rap. The real enemy of your health is trans fat, which lurks in many processed foods.

Many people mistakenly think all fats are nutritional villains responsible for everything from coronary artery disease to obesity. To the contrary, many health problems may actually be caused by deficiencies of certain fats—even the much maligned saturated fats. Fats serve an array of important functions, including cushioning our organs against shock and insulating vital tissues against cold. They also influence body-temperature regulation, pain sensitivity, appetite control and cognitive performance. Along with glucose, fat is a primary source of energy and is present in every cell membrane of our body. One legitimate concern about fat is that it can form carcinogens when charred. (See "Don’t Get Burned," below, for tips on how to cook meat properly.)

http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/21-587266.html

Heh! Well, ummm.... that's a bit of a turn around?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 10:05

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

Oh, let them talk. In the meantime, we're doing it, for ourselves, with or without their agreement!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 10:05

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 271/217/186 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Dr. Atkins is now officially whirling in his grave.

A damn shame that his name is tied to the corporate frankenfood operation. And, yes, I realize that Dr. Atkins was the main architect of this corporate marketing effort, and that his family is realizing big bucks from the operation. Still makes me very unhappy.

Now we are left with just the actual books by Atkins, and self help groups like this website.

My guess is that the true Atkins revolution will only survive for about 10 more years.

Maybe someone new will pick up the banner and carry on. Perhaps there is hope that South Beach will be a truely low carb WOL??

I just feel very fortunate to have learned the lessons and reaped the health benefits of the WOL, before it turned into a corporate money fest. Bleahhh!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 10:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Wait... CColette Heimowitz, M.S. wrote this article:

http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/21-587266.html

Heh! Well, ummm.... that's a bit of a turn around?

Boy, can you say WAFFLE?????

And I don't mean the LC version, either!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 10:23
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGal1415
Boy, can you say WAFFLE?????

And I don't mean the LC version, either!

How funny! I just thought about accusing them of feeding us Waffles and I came back and found you beat me to it!

And, just to restore some perspective, here's a bunch of stories from CBS news and Atkin's about how shocked and amazed doctors were at the cholesterol results:

Quote:
(CBS) Multitudes swear by the high-fat, low-carbohydrate Atkins diet, and now a carefully controlled study backs them up: Low-carb may actually take off more weight than low-fat and may be surprisingly better for cholesterol, too.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/11/18/health/main529790.shtml

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003...ain577832.shtml

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Jan-19-04 at 10:29.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 11:04

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/170/170
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Never mind. . .

Well, NOW the Atkins groups claims they NEVER said that stuff about limiting saturated fat.

They say the media mis-reported again.

So. . .

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=115415
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 11:09
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

so where did this 20% thing come from?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 11:09
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Well, NOW the Atkins groups claims they NEVER said that stuff about limiting saturated fat.

They say the media mis-reported again.

So. . .

Well, that I can believe! Yay!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 11:20

BF:

Frankly, I don't know WHO to believe, anymore.

I'm getting to the point where the only person I can believe is myself.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 12:24

Stats: 140/132/120
BF:
Progress:
Default Ooops Atkins Recants the backtrack???

Has anyone heard anything more re: this article?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/diet...reut/index.html
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 12:52

Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

This a false report. If you go to the Atkins site you will find a link to an article explaining this false report.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 12:53
Registered Member

Stats: 210/158/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 104%

This is the article on atkins.com about this article.
Atkins Has Not Changed

"Make That Steak a Bit Smaller, Atkins Advises Today's Dieters," published in the January 18th edition of The New York Times--and the subsequent publicity--is yet another dramatically inappropriate example of the media reporting on the media and perpetuating a false report on Atkins. This is a great disservice to the millions upon millions of Atkins followers who have been benefiting from this nutritional approach for more than 30 years. The accusation in the media, which claims that Atkins is retreating from its long-held position on the consumption of fat is simply wrong. It is a false premise created by members of the media themselves, based on input from "experts" who apparently have neither read any of Dr. Atkins' books, nor even casually browsed this Web site.

Atkins has not changed. The basic tenets of the Atkins Nutritional Approach™ (ANA), consistent since 1972, are to control the intake of carbohydrates, avoid refined carbs (like sugar and white flour), eat a balance of fats (including saturated fat but not trans fats) and consume a variety of protein sources, such as red meat, fish, poultry and tofu. Saturated fat remains a valuable part of the ANA. There is absolutely no scientific research to support any claims that eating red meat and saturated fat as part of your Atkins program is anything other then beneficial. These protocols have been consistently reinforced as safe, effective and beneficial and have been further supported by 17 studies released over the last three years.

Equally as important, and terribly troubling to all of us at Atkins, is the attempt once again by critics of Atkins to ignore fact, science and the clear messages stated in Dr. Atkins' own words over the past 32 years, in order to sensationalize the ANA as the "all-the-steak-you-can-eat" approach to weight loss and good health. This has never been true and the millions of individuals doing Atkins, along with the health care professionals who have read Dr. Atkins' books, clearly understand this. We would urge anyone who is confused, including the media to simply read Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, Atkins For Life or The Atkins Essentials, or review this site, rather than interpret Atkins on the basis of sensational reports manufactured on hearsay and mischaracterization.

Even in the original 1972 edition of Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution, Dr. Atkins explained, "fat allows for enormous variety in your diet; that vital and best of all, it keeps you from feeling deprived. Of course, you aren't confined to steak, you can have almost any kind of meat, fish or fowl." He continued, "One of the biggest reasons this diet works so successfully is because you eat protein and fat…."

Dr. Atkins made no secret of the fact that his methodology evolved over time as scientific discoveries added new and useful information. He rewrote his original 1972 book three times, exactly because he felt it was his responsibility to keep people up to date when it came to the most recent and relevant information on controlled carbohydrate nutrition and health. In the 2002 edition of Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, he wrote, "Eat either three regular-size meals a day or four to five smaller meals. Eat liberally of combinations of fat and protein in the form of poultry, fish, shellfish, eggs and red meat, as well as of pure, natural fat in the form of butter, mayonnaise, olive oil, safflower, sunflower and other vegetable oils. Adjust the quantity you eat to suit your appetite, especially as it decreases. When hungry, eat the amount that makes your feel satisfied but not stuffed…."

By providing individuals doing Atkins with a life-long strategy, including exercise and meal plans (at various carb thresholds) incorporating a wide range of foods, as explained in Atkins for Life, Dr. Atkins believed he would finally put to rest the misconception that his approach was based on eating only red meat. His simple goal was that people would come to understand how to incorporate his controlled carbohydrate nutritional approach as the first step in gaining control of their nutritionally out-of-control lives.

Millions of individuals who benefit from doing Atkins understand that the ANA is a very effective four-phase approach to healthy eating. The ANA focuses on moving people away from diets loaded with refined carbohydrates like sugar and white flour to a lifestyle centered around eating whole foods and nutrient-dense carbohydrates like leafy greens, and finding a balance in the consumption of proteins and fat.

Enough said.