Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 14:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179/163/143 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress:
Smile Anyone heard of MALTITOL ??

It's a no carb sweetner that measures cup for cup of sugar. No aftertaste. It's about $8.95 a pound, but worth it if there's no aftertaste. Some intestinal problems if you consume toooo much of it for some folks.

I am really looking forward to trying it...can't find it here in my hometown. The only way I know to get it at this point is to order it.

Do a seach on Maltitol and you'll see where.

Let me know if you have tried it.....and how you like it, where you got it ?

Thanks a bunch......
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 14:52

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I didn't even know you could get it. I've seen it as an ingredient in things like LC bars, but that's it. In my case, I wouldn't bother since I don't sense any aftertaste in any of the artificial sweeteners (Splenda or Sweet & Low; I avoid Aspartame as much as possible).
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 15:42
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Ack evil evil stuff. Even a little causes me to get massive bloating, gas and other problems.

I want to try erythritol. It's not suposed to have the massive side effects of malitol and lactol. The couple candies I tried with it seemed to work fine. It also has less calories then other sugar alcohols.

http://www11.netrition.com/lowcarbs...ritol_page.html
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 16:54

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

The side effects could be massive LAXATIVE action so be very careful!!!! You have been warned. There is even a prescription laxative which made from 2 sugar alcohols & called Lactitol.

For more information on this and other sugar alcohols, go up to the top of the page and click on the heading "Low Carb Tips" then scroll down that page to the excellent article on Sugar Alcohols.

Last edited by tofi : Sat, Jan-17-04 at 19:37.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 18:29
Registered Member

Stats: 211/180/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default My tummy could tell u alot about it

Had it once. All I can say is: I didnt think I would be able to sit for a minute without running to the bathroom

Who knows, it doesnt bother everyone. Let us know what u think
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 18:37

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

Oh, man! I wouldn't consider buying it in bulk...I can barely tolerate it in a candy bar ! I wouldn't waste your money until you know what kind of side effects you might experience...and they could be an exerience you never want to repeat. It sure keeps me from binging on LC candy!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 23:20
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 172/172/130 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Where do you all get all these sugar substitues? I can't even find liquid Splenda here in Kansas City. I do buy bags of Splenda for my coffee (just can't give up my coffee) herb tea, and an occasional chocolate fix. I've never been much into sweets except for ice cream so it's not a big deal. It seems to me that once I started eating the sweet stuff ie: LC ice cream I started craving it and my LC WOE did a nose dive last summer.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 00:24
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I can find xilitol in health food stores. Anything els eI would have to go online for sugar alcohol wise.

My powdered stevia I can get form Vitamin Cottage or wild oats. It is by far my favorite sweetner, though it takes alot of practice to get the measurements right and avoid a bitter taste.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 00:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, mostly
Stats: 174/159/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

I hope you have better luck than I do with this stuff. Yes it tastes wonderful in chocolate and candy but even one small piece of a maltitol sweetened chocolate bar causes pain, gas and bloating. Emphasis on the PAIN.

But everyone is different. Hope you are one of the lucky ones!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 08:38

BF:

Splenda isn't out in liquid form, as far as I know.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 08:44

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

From all the sweeteners that we are allowed to have, I still like my Splenda the best. Stevia has an aftertaste I believe and sugar alcohols of any type cause me problems if I consume more than just a little.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 13:07

Plan: My Own
Stats: 191/166/155 Female 5'4"
BF:32%/25%/25%
Progress: 69%

There is a product on the net that is called zero carb syrup base from locarber.com. An 8 ounce bottle has the sweetness of 32 cups of sugar. I have been using it for months and it is wonderful. Adds zero calories to drinks, cooking, and baking. The only thing to remember is that some baked things get properties from sugar other than sweetness so you need to use something like the NOT SUGAR for those properties.

The stuff is great. I recommend it to anyone wanting to reduce carbs.

Ann
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 14:27
Don't Call Me Sugar

Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%
Thumbs up polyols

See, I think people have it the wrong way around. If you eat a candy bar made with maltitol, you're eating quite a lot of it very quickly. But if you buy the stuff in bulk and you use a teaspoon in your morning coffee, tea, yogurt, etc. it doesn't have that kind of impact. Especially the yogurt, since you're eating it with other food.

I have xylitol at home, and erythritol. I use the xylitol to sweeten cheesecake. One cup of it in a giant 10'' cheesecake means that each slice doesn't have much. The erythritol doesn't seem to cause gas, I tried having a bunch of it at once and had no problem.

If anything, maltitol is one of the most gassy-making. Although I think lactitol is the absolute worst for that (and that's what's in those s/f Hershey bars...eeek!).
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 17:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysabella

If anything, maltitol is one of the most gassy-making. Although I think lactitol is the absolute worst for that (and that's what's in those s/f Hershey bars...eeek!).

I agree that maltitol is bad but didn't realice lactitol was another, never having tried anything that reads "sugar-free" (because that doesn't mean low-carb). I have tried the new Z-carb bars but although they don't cause problems that are nearly as bad as those with maltitol, they still aren't problem free for me. I pretty much have to stay away from all the sugar alcohols. But thanks for the info...I will certainly be looking for the lactitol on labels!