Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 21:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/236/200 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Question About Weights/Gym Work

This is a question for the people here, who take gym work seriously, by that i mean every day, none fail, and live for it , either in a sport or self satisfaction..

I Have Been Going to the gym now for 6-7 months, and i seem to have put on the right ammount of muscle, 7 lbs of muscle when i think the max for 6 months is 6lbs, so thats all looking good for me.
now i am around 250 lbs, and starting to look good, but a bit bigger than i want.
so i want to lose 3-4 stone(50 lbs * I think) But Also While Losing Weight, Want to tone my muscle properly, so it doesnt all go saggy iff i ever give up for a few months. With Christmas Just Gone, And I Started A Jew Job, I Feel Tired All the time and not doing as much excercise as i did say 4 months ago. but this is going to change ofc.

This Is My Normal Gym Workout.

Monday

* 60-70kg (4 * 8) - Bench Press machine
* 65kg (4 * 8) - Bicep Machine
* 35kg (4 * 8) - Tricep Machine
* 45-60kg (4 * 8) - Pec Deck
* 55kg (4 * 8) - Pull Down Machine + 45kg On Shoulders
* 55kg (4 * 8) - Rowing Machine

Tuesday

* 35kg (4 * 8) - Cab Crossovers

Wednesday

* 45-60kg (4 * 8) - Pec Deck
* 55kg (4 * 8) - Pull Down Machine + 45kg On Shoulders
* 55kg (4 * 8) - Rowing Machine

Thursday

* 20 kg - Arm Curls
* 20kg - Arm Flys
* 150 sit-ups

Friday

* 35kg (4 * 8) - Cab Crossovers

---------------------------------------------------------------

The Problem With This Is, Im Building Muscle All The Time And Not really Losing Weight, So I Was Looking for some tips, i want to cut down on the muscle build and step up more on some of the weight loss machines (ie, Rowing, Bike, FreeRun, Step), But Also While Doing This Tone The Muscle As I Said Earlier..
Iff Anyone Can Give Me Any Help On What I Should Do And How Much A Day Id Be grateful, coz i dont want to do to much with it + the diet program, and one day collapse or something

Thanks,

Kleberson
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 21:55
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

Dude (or dudett, don't really know for sure) , you need to start doing some research in a few weight-lifting sites 'cause you are lucky to still be getting results as far as gaining muscle with that gym schedule! You are OVERTRAING your muscles! You are not supposed to work the same muscle group so many times in a week without letting them recover. Maybe if you try to get through to "Trainerdan", he is a moderator in the CKD group, he can stear you in direction more suitable. And the CKD has stickys that will tell you what it is, which could be the weight-loss, while you keep muscle approach you are looking for also.

Good luck, Chip
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 22:23

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 230/191/180 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I would agree with Chip...that's waaaay too much! Once a week to failure on each muscle group is all you should be doing if weight loss (fat) is your goal. Your priority should just be to maintain your existing muscle base, since it is difficult to build muscle and lose weight at the same time
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 22:42

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

looks like an unbalanced routine to me- there are no exercises for your lower body - where are the squats, deadlifts ... ? Also, can you move to free weights instead of all machines?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 15:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/236/200 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress: 5%

my legs are ok, i used to do a lot of sport, football and rugby, and the muscle has stayed, its just a matter of losing some weight off them, i dont want to have even bigger muscle in my leg than i have now.

+ i do squats at home myself, thats not really a problem.

but thx chip, ill try get hold of that guy.

i could ask my dad, he is an ex bodybuilder, but we dont really see each other often
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 17:20

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

At the minimum you should cut down your lifting to every other day PER muscle group. You should never lift the same group in consecutive days.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 10:22

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

First, welcome to the forum!

Now to get down to business ... As the others have said, you are definately overtraining your muscles. They need rest to recover!

I have a beginner's gym article in this forum. Click here to go to it. It gives a sample routine, etc.

Beginner's gym
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 10:26
Registered Member

Plan: Mediterranean based
Stats: 205/190/140 Female 5'7"
BF:44/42/23
Progress: 23%
Default Allo Allo

Kleberson, you will find this forum really helpful...lots of great people generous with support.

The guys are right, you are overtraining, or to put things another way, you are confusing your goals.

I think you have two, and they are working against each other right now! They are:

1. Build/keep a healthy amount of muscle
2. Lose fat.

The first thing you need to do is drop your preoccupation with size. You have much bigger fish to fry here! Don't worry about how you look or how big you are ("size" is a confusing term that can mean different things to different people), concentrate on making some changes to your routine that will accomplish your primary goals (which are getting lean and mean!).

Since you have already carved out time to work out each day, think of switching up your routine more like this:

Mon/Wed/Fri: cardio work that targets the big lower body muscles (walking, learning to jog program, biking)
Tues/Thurs: strength training that targets core/abs, upper body

And every day, eating sensibly and moderately, from a wide range of healthy whole foods, which will foster the building of good, lean muscle, and help you lose the extra fat.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 15:50

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleberson
my legs are ok, i used to do a lot of sport, football and rugby, and the muscle has stayed, its just a matter of losing some weight off them, i dont want to have even bigger muscle in my leg than i have now.

yes, but you want to burn fat right? So get those leg muscles (a large % of your muscle mass) to do some work and burn some calories for you. By only working 1/2 your LBM I think you cheat yourself on the calorie-burning / metabolism raising benefits that including a leg routine would give you.

Lisa