Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 15:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/149/150
BF:13
Progress: 105%
Default SO MUCH LC education needed out there!

I just watched a segment on Fox news, by neil cavuto, a financial show, where he was analizing the low carb "craze", and had an expert on to predict what stocks would benefit and suffer from the low carb growth,

The expert:

" Well i think companies like Bally Total Fitness and Weight Watchers are going to suffer, i mean, since the atkins diet foundation is 'eat bacon, and dont excersize' and you will still lose weight, who will want to go to the gym or talk about their weight problems in a discussion group"

SO frustrating how little they know, and how no one is doing anything to squash the misinformation about LC dieting
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 16:12
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Wow. What a doofus.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 16:20
100% pork rind free

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 215/182.5/180 Female 5 ' 10 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Gee, he's right. I can't imagine why anyone who low-carbs would want to talk with other low-carbers about their experience.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 16:21
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Well everyone knows you need carbs for energy...all us low carbers would be too exhausted to make the meetings!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 16:30
Hello

Plan: Modified Ketogenic
Stats: 182/180/145 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

yeah, I am sooo drained by the lack of sugar that it is all I can do to lie here and type!!

how do we manage to survive????
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 18:13

Stats: 193/183/159 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress: 29%

I can't figure out how they can talk about a subject that they have not read up on. How much more do we hear on other subjects that are not factual.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 19:21

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
i mean, since the atkins diet foundation is 'eat bacon, and dont excersize' and you will still lose weight,

Strange...I'd better read the book again. I seem to have missed that part the first two or three times I've read it. Maybe it was my poor, carb-deprived brain hallucinating, but I distinctly remember something about "exercise; it's not optional" and that low carb isn't to be used as a license to gorge yourself on low carb foods. I also seem to remember something about limiting bacon unless it was the type that was nitrate-free, but again it might have been a carb deprived hallucination.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 19:51

Stats: 170/149/150
BF:13
Progress: 105%

And the expert predicted that the "low carb fad" would fade in 4 years, and shift to some new craze. He compared it to the low fat fad of the 80's and 90's, and said as soon as people start getting fat from cutting all the carbs, the way they got fat from cutting all the fat and loading up in sugar, they will look for a new way to eat!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 11:37

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I'd be interested to know exactly what this "expert" was?
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 11:55

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

It's a little frightening to notice that whenever there's a news story where one has some personal knowledge of the subject...they always seem to get it wrong.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 16:34

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/170/170
BF:
Progress: 100%

You know, my resolution for the New Year is NOT to pay attention to media tripe any more.

I'd read these stupid articles, get mad, post a reply here somewhere, steam and fret. . and to what point?

I've discovered what works for me. I feel like a million. I'm healthier than ever. I've had no weight issues for years now. Why should any of us care whether some hack or doofus likes what we do?

We should all have enough confidence to go with our guts (or our lack of them) and ignore the nonsense in the media.

After all, are we looking for a way-of-eating that has the blessings of the establishment dolts? Or are we looking for a way to improve our own health, well-being, and energy?

Me, I'm voting for well-being. Never mind what everyone else says.

So starting right now, I will not longer get so riled about what some uninformed reporter says. . . or what the doofus in the next cubicle says. I'm going with what works for me.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 18:08

Plan: Medifast/Atkins
Stats: 296/166/135 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

The proof is in the puddin...(or lack thereof) hehe A girl I work with is on an "oatmeal at lunch and nothing else the entire day" diet. She kinda giggled when she see's that I eat every 2-3 hours. She's starving, and hasn't lost anymore than the initial five pounds, and I'm just dropping while eating tons of food. lol Gotta love it! Us low carbers are wrong ya know! hehe
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 13:51

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

I think if we analyze the word "expert" we will all understand wherein the problem lies.

Okay, here goes:

"ex" = has been
"spurt" = drip under pressure

Now, if you say ex-spurt real fast you have expert. Seems to me most experts I've read recently really ARE has been drips under pressure!!

shortstuff
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 14:48

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Ex-spurt!

#15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 18:01

Stats: 354/233/200 Male 5 ft 11 in
BF:YES
Progress: 79%

well what bothers me is the crap put out by the atkins center. they have this infomercial with this guy selling the "official" atkins weight loss package saying over and over again "and remember when doing this diet there is no need to exercise" i bet Dr. atkins was rolling over in his grave. Also i think that the reason some of us care about the media perception isn't becasue we want to be validated but because we are concerned about the mis-information that is getting out to people who could benefit from doing the diet the right way. yes i know that they should be smart enough to read the book but the truth is alot don't. i have a friend who told me he was on the Atkins diet now and that he learned how to do it from some of his friends on it. (he lives out of state from me) I asked him what veggies he was eating and he said that on induction you can't have any veggies at all becasue the 20 carb allowence you get for the 2 wks doesn't allow for it. he ACTUALLY thought that you could only eat a total of 20 carbs for the WHOLE 2 wks of induction. It really worries me the amount of people that do atkins wrong. i could go on and on. Another guy i met at the video store was doing what he called atkins eating nothing but chicken,hamburgers and diet coke. that's it, nothing else. anyway i am done venting.

Jon