Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 10:19
Doctor Dirt

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%
Angry I don't think Sanjay Gupta (CNN) likes lo carbing.

Did anyone see the CNN piece this morning on the trend for restaurants offering low carb alternatives? I get the feeling that Sanjay Gupta doesn't like LC'ing very much -- he kept repeating the LC diets have a high dropout rate (show me a diet that DOESN'T have a high attrition rate) and that after a year, the LC dieter will lose the same amount as a low fat dieter.

He talked mostly about the restaurants (Burger King, etc.) that are now offering LC alternatives, and kind of laughed about the fact that Holiday Inn is offering a LC breakfast that is bacon and eggs without the potatoes or bread. He also called 7-Eleven a restaurant. Maybe he needs to get out of the office more.

He missed the point. I have never in my life stuck to an eating plan for -- WOW! 7 months as of today! And it's because LC NEVER makes me feel deprived. How many (show of hands here) have starved themselves on low-fat diets and ended up getting fatter and fatter??

Sanjay, you're a real cutie but you just don't get it, honey.

Jeannie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 10:23

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

Ah, well. He'll get over it.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 10:47

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

First of all, I don't thint that people that haven't tried this WOE should critique it. That's like giving a review on a restaurant when you haven't even eaten there.

I don't care that a lowfat dieter loses the same amount of weight as a LC dieter. The point is that you aren't starving to death. I'm sorry but these people that say that they are not hungry on diet's like WW have just learned to deal with hunger. The only way I lost weight on a LF diet was by being hungry. Whenever I had a week that I was not hungry it was because I had eaten too much and I would gain that week! Not to mention there are so many other health benefits to this WOE besides weight loss, like the fact that I don't get headaches or migraines as much and I haven't taken an antihistamine for over a month, but nobody ever brings stuff like that up.

Also, why isn't the media freaking out over Applebees serving WW entree's with the Points calculated!

Wee
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 11:11

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

As long as the media continues to slam this woe, it will never get this credit it so richly deserves. Hopefully over time the truth will be so obvious, that the media will have to admit that this wol is everything Dr. A said it is and more.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 11:19

Stats: 222/178.4/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 50%

I fail to understand how, at its very basic level, anyone can argue that cutting out sugar, flour, and refined foods is really a smart way in which to lose weight.

Clearly, all these diets people try (WW, etc) work because as a very minimum, it changes one's eating habits. That's the key, isn't it? Changing your eating habits - but in DANDR, we argue that not only is it changing your eating habits, but it is changing them in such a way as it is unlikely one will "fall back" into the old habits. And that's where this WOE turns into a WOL.

By doing it this way, we should all reach our goal weight, and maintain it indefinitely. We are taught ways to watch out for weight gain and ways to handle it before it gets out of control. This is where we win, and so many others lose out. And if anyone tries to argue with me that drinking a Coke with all its sugar is good for me, they surely are insane!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 11:21

Stats: 222/178.4/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 50%

Oops, that first sentence came out wrong - People can't really argue against cutting out sugar, flour, and refined foods. It just makes sense - what do these things contribute that I can't get from fresh foods, lovely veggies, and a variety to eat. Anyway, you knew what I meant.... I hope!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 11:30

BF:

I knew what you meant!

But really, how many diet plans out there really PUSH refined sugar and flour? I mean, even the low-fat people push the "whole foods" concept as well. It's just that we're not afraid of fat, they're not afraid of sugar.

I guess in the end, hopefully either one camp or the other will convince the masses to quit eating the garbage that the food industry insists that it must produce.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 11:38
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGal1415
I guess in the end, hopefully either one camp or the other will convince the masses to quit eating the garbage that the food industry insists that it must produce.

And then they have a a problem......because nothing is so cheap to produce, transport, storage and get people addicted to as refined carbs.

OHGal - I truly enjoy your posts, you rock!

Alina
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 11:46

BF:

Thanks, Alina! That made my day!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 12:23

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 272/261/190 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Wait, wait, wait. CNN presented a biased story??? That never happens on CNN.

Anyway, screw 'em. The low-carb way of life is EXPLODING right now - in a good way. We now have numerous options for eating out, having a snack or heating up a quick meal in the microwave - just like "normal" people do. Let Mr. Gupta think whatever he likes; low-carbing is here to stay and is only gaining credibility with each month. There will always be skeptics out there and people who love to hate whatever's successful...
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 19:38

Stats: 240/194/140 Female 5'6
BF:Lose 50 in 2004
Progress: 46%

Well put, CarbsBeGone - the media is covering low carbing so much recently that the truth is bound to come out (even if it takes some time). I read another thread where a lcarber overheard a co-worker say that lcarbing gives you blue pee! Funny stuff!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 20:24
Registered Member

Stats: 240/233/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 7%

I think any publicity is good, even if its biased or inaccurate, at least people are hearing about 'low carb' and if they are interested enough, they will research for themselves. I think most people know that the media is pretty biased and inaccurate by now. Granted, it would be refreshing to hear an UNbiased report with actual FACTS. Maybe thats why I just don't watch television anymore.