Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 22:56

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%
Question Question for the 40+ crowd

Someone warned me today not to lose weight too quickly on this diet because in my 40s my skin is not as elastic as it used to be and I'd get baggy and droopy all over. She said definitely do not go more than a pound a week. That way the skin can shrink.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 22:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/226/200 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 68%

A little off topic but did you see the extreme makeovers show where the guy lost over 150 pounds and had like TONS of excess skin. It was scary looking..

Back to your topic, I dont think it would make a difference if it was 1 or 2 pounds a week. If you end of having some extra skin, you could always tighten it up with some muscle
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 03:20

Stats: 175/172.5/115 Female 62.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
HI,
I think that that will depend on the person and how much weight they have to loose. I have seen some people over 40 who have weight to loose but are very fit and exercise regular and their skin looks very firm. I think that they would do OK but those whose skin is not in this kind of condition might have a problem.

Sprissy
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 05:17

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Arrow

I think no matter what your age if you lose weight too quickly without doing toning exercises you will have some droopy skin. I, unfortunately, have droopy belly due to two pregnancies that no matter how hard I work I will never lose So the key is to do some toning exercises WHILE you lose weight.

ALso...heriditary has a lot to do with it too....
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 13:10
Registered Member

Stats: // Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 54%

Really rapid weight loss will lead to MORE excess skin, and if you lose a LOT of weight you can count on excess skin. Fact of life-it's been stretched out by fat, then the fat goes away. Eating this way should help minimize this effect, because it is high in fat and helps allow skin to be as elastic as it can be. Slow steady weight loss will also minimize it, as will toning and muscle building to replace the fat. Regardless, having loose skin is FAR better for you than having an unhealthy weight.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 13:23

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I think there is a lot of truth in that. By the time you are approaching or beyond 40, you have a lot less elastin and collagen in your skin. It is bad for anyone to lose it quickly but weight lifting alone will not take in some of the saggy skin - some have to resort to surgery to remove it.

My cousin and friend got the bariatric surgery and lost over 150 pounds each - they now have to get the surgery to remove the excess skin around their stomach and under their upper arms. I cannot say if this was just due to their excess weight so long or the quick weight loss in the beginning (both are almost age 40).

I think the skin cannot adjust to fast weight gain or loss and it is prudent to lose no more than a lb a week (excluding perhaps the first 2 weeks of induction - this would be hard to control).