Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 14:53

Plan: carb addict
Stats: 125/125/105 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress:
Question I'm so confused, don't know what to do?

Well, first things first. Hello to everyone here on this wonderful forum. I have been reading the past week every thread, absorbing everything I can.

This is my story...I have those last 20 lbs. to lose. I can't seem to shake them for over 2 years. Everytime I start to, I stall. I discovered the wonderful world of "Carb Addict" which works amazing for me. Now to my issue....My body type would be the pear shape upside down. I gain all my weight on my upper body. I am very short, 5'0" and 20 lbs. is a lot more for me than a taller person.

That said I am trying to start a new workout routine. I cannot afford a gym and living in Florida weather most of the time does not permit walking or jogging.
I am confused as to what videos to buy or what type of exercise I would need to do for that matter. My stomach is my #1 problem. I do own the abs of steel and I have read that zone targeting does not really work. Should I buy just aerobics, or also do some weight lifting? I was thinking of buying THE FIRM or TAEBO but didn't know which to buy either. Anyone has any suggestions? The more I read, the more confused I get. Thanks to all and have a wonderful day!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 15:28

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Enjoy it:-)

If you read journals, gym logs - you can see how different routines people here have. Some prefer cardio, some prefer weights, some prefer Pilates, some prefer outside activities, some prefer gym. The list is unlimited. There is no ONE "perfect" training program fit for all.
As a first step I would recommend to start with something that you really like, enjoy. Anything that you would do, can do 3-5x/week. If you go to the www.collagevideo.com - you can see detailed descriptions of hundreds videos - even with 60-90 sec previews.
The secret: consistency. Sticking to an exercise program. Creating a habit to exercise. It is much more easier if you enjoy it.
You mentioned Firm or the Taebo - excellent programs. You might start with any of them. Then there is plenty of time to modify your program. To do something more or something different.
If you check the Exercise threads or the Challenges threads you can find many exercise support groups, join to one of them.

Good luck to anything you chose. HAVE FUN:-)))

Last edited by Galadriell : Mon, Jan-12-04 at 15:31.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 16:24

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default You'd be surprised

At how many people walk in Florida. What did the Seminoles do before they invented AC? They had to get their food somehow. What's wrong with becoming a mall walker?

Get the ProBodX book at the library--you can make a lot of the equipment they suggest for close to free. It's a good workout.

But mostly--get up early and walk when it's still cool. FL isn't that much hotter than NC, although I'll agree it's hot longer into the fall and earlier in the spring. I walk year round.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 07:47

Plan: carb addict
Stats: 125/125/105 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress:

I see a lot of people walking all the time but I am usually on my way to work or back from work. I leave my house at 6:00 am. That's why I wanted to do the videos which I would have to get up earlier but it's a lot better than walking at 4:30 am when it's dark and so lonesome out there. Not to mention the rain that will start in a few months. If I break off my routine I can never get back on track.

At night time I can't walk because by the time I am finished with dinner, kids basketball and baseball games and dance, it's about 9:00. I know the best for me is the videos because I can do it before I go to work, I just don't know what to buy. I am leaning towards the FIRM but there are so many
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 14:34

Plan: Combination
Stats: 164/159.5/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default The Firm

Hi there. If you're looking to start using FIRM tapes, go to www.half.com and buy some used ones (the older ones are my favorites!). Don't buy their step... get a 14 inch Rubbermaid step, and a medium-sized one too. Much cheaper. We have a thread called "Firm Forum" in General Exercise. There's lots of info there, and lots of support.