Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 04:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 268/200/190 Male 5'9
BF:28%/14%/8%
Progress: 87%
Default Cheap Lunches!

(I got the idea for this thread from the McDonalds post)

I don’t know about you folks but lunch can add up to $50 or more a week for me if I am not careful. Lately, I have been eating McDonalds and Wendy’s...more Wendy’s b/c I am told McDonalds adds trans fat to food as a "grill seasoning." Anyway, 2 double stacks with cheese and an awesome Caesar salad at Wendy’s is only $3.18. Not bad for a filling lunch. Does anyone else have a cheap lunch they could share?.

Insert secret handshake here
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 05:00

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

got to love the .99 menu
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 05:43
Italian Goddess

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/199/150 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 53%

cheap lunch to me is bringing it from home to work.
Toss a handful of bagged salad and toss in a plastic travel bowl, toss a couple of slices of swiss cheese and turkey on top with some grape tomatoes, oh wait, first put the dressing on the bottom of the container so when you're ready to eat you can just shake the whole thing up. (like I said, I eat a lot of salads and most work days I make two and eat one for breakfast and one for lunch.

#4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 05:46

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

hmm never thought of that idea of the baggy with the dressing and stuff already mixed .. great idea.....
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 06:23

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

I have given up on eating out. One of my goals this year is to eat out only once per week.

If you aren't interested in taking a whole mean with you....how about eating a meal right before you go to work/school(whatever it is you do) and then taking a couple small snacks to get you through....then eating when you get home. I am only in the 2nd week of not eating out and drinking beer......but damn I have so much more money
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 06:36

Stats: 233/226/170 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 11%

if i dont brown bag it i usually go to wendys and order the triple cheese burger with xtra lettuce and hold the ketchup. ibring it to my car and strip everything off except the lettuce which i use as a wrap. $5 lunch . i dont buy anything to drink because i always have a case of water or setzer in my trunk.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 10:32

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

I’ve only done this a few times, but I will do it more often as soon as I remember to buy the ingredients. It’s so good.

Take one large leaf of romaine lettuce and spread it with mayo. (Not to the edges, though; that would be too messy.) On top of that, lay sliced turkey breast (lunchmeat, deli, leftover from a real turkey, whatever you’ve got) and then a slice of Swiss cheese. Swiss isn’t anywhere close to my favorite cheese, but that’s what I had on hand the first time I made this.

Anyway, this is true serendipity; the whole is definitely greater than the sum of the parts. I’m not sure why it’s so good, but it is. I’m going to try it with other meats and cheeses.

Oh, and it’s pretty cheap too.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 10:47
Brown-Eyed Girl

Stats: 260/153/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 102%

I usually get 2 Wendy's Caesar Side Salads at $0.99 piece or a Subway Grilled Chicken Salad with GP, Onions, Mayonaise, Extra Cheese, Salt/Pepper and Mayo and that is only 4.27. (They already know what I'm gonna order when I walk in the door at both places which are both right next door to my office.)
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 10:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrecklFluf
I’ve only done this a few times, but I will do it more often as soon as I remember to buy the ingredients. It’s so good.

Take one large leaf of romaine lettuce and spread it with mayo. (Not to the edges, though; that would be too messy.) On top of that, lay sliced turkey breast (lunchmeat, deli, leftover from a real turkey, whatever you’ve got) and then a slice of Swiss cheese. Swiss isn’t anywhere close to my favorite cheese, but that’s what I had on hand the first time I made this.

Anyway, this is true serendipity; the whole is definitely greater than the sum of the parts. I’m not sure why it’s so good, but it is. I’m going to try it with other meats and cheeses.

Oh, and it’s pretty cheap too.

I do this all the time - just had one for lunch, added some golden mustard. MMmmmm
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 13:50
Registered Member

Stats: // Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 54%

Used to be a McDonald's 99 cent double cheeseburger-no bun, and 99 cent side salad! Talk about CHEAP! I'm not eating ground beef anymore, though, cuz of mad cow.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 13:51

Stats: 166/160/143 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 26%

Eating out is expensive and it is also not the est way to eat on LC diets as the fast food meats ahve all sorts of things added to them.

Why don't you make a lunch the previous night (perhaps make your meal bigger and save some for the next day) and take it to work with you.

It is cheaper and it is also better because you have total control of what you are eating.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 15:54

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 255/239/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 15%

I don't think this is cheap but I had an Arby's Philly Beef Supreme with mayo instead of the garlic sauce and just took off the bun and ate with a fork. There is a ton of meat there. It was 4.30 for just the sandwich. It is filling though.
I still agree bringing your lunch is the cheapest and fastest and most nutritional way. I would work on bringing left overs see how that works for you. I like a grilled chicken breast warmed up with cheese melted and asaragus. Or taco salad make the salad and take some left over taco meat from the night befor with melted cheese and walla!!! You have the old faithfuls TUNA SALAD but yuk I am sick of tuna I ate that for the first month and now I try to have it only now and then. At any rate lots of luck to you...
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 16:10
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I do the cesear side salad, then a grilled chicken samwich minus the bun and tomato. I love it and it's very cheap, low carb, and even low cal for those watching it.

I'll have to come home for lunch or pack mine once classes start. Even the Wendy's cheap menu is too expencive some days
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 18:08

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I always bring lunch. I can't justify spending the money when I have already spent so much money at the grocery store. Not to mention I get to tempted when I go out to eat and like to keep it to a minimum.
I fry 2 eggs the evening before until just browned, then I have eggs over easy with 2 sausage links for breakfast. I cook enough sausage for DH and to last a few days.
Then for lunch I have homemade hamburger soup, lettuce wraps, salad, chicken legs or wings, tuna or leftovers. I just throw the makings in a bag and prepare the lettuce wraps or salad when I get to work.

I love all the fast food ideas though for that time I don't have enough time to pack a lunch.

Wee
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 18:38

Stats: 233/226/170 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 11%

how about white castle?
yes i'll have 100 burgers....hold the bun.....LOL