Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 15:13

Plan: Atkins (Induction)
Stats: 385/367.5/250 Male 6ft 1in
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Stacker2 ECA Stacks + Atkins?

Before Atkins, I've been using ECA stacks (Stacker2 pills), and have seen moderate weight loss and improved energy. I had a problem taking the pills at regular intervals (and I didn't change many eating habits) so I didn't get the loss I believe I can get with a diet oriented loss program.

Enter Atkins. I just started Atkins 4 days ago and stopped doing ECA, as I don't know how many carbs are in the stacker2 pills. Also, I have no idea how ECA stacks affect the Atkins or other low carb diets.

google.com searches are about worthless when you throw terms like "atkins" "ephedra" in the search. So much commercial garbage.

Anyhow -- Is it safe to ECA + Atkins at the same time? Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 00:05
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/170/150 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by macd
Anyhow -- Is it safe to ECA + Atkins at the same time? Thoughts?

Probably just as safe as ECA alone, but far less safe than Atkins alone. The ephedra and caffeine combination raises blood pressure (among other effects). This is probably safe enough for adults under 35 or 40, but as one ages, the risks of hypertension causing stroke and/or heart attacks increases. I was successful with an ECA stack for two months last year, but I've become concerned about the dangers of the ECA stack as I get older (I'm 44).

If you're younger or more of a risk-taker than I am and still willing to take an ECA stack, I would still advise you to do just the Atkins by itself for a while. Save the ECA for if or when you have a major stall if you're still willing to use them yourself then.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 18:56

Plan: Atkins (Induction)
Stats: 385/367.5/250 Male 6ft 1in
BF:
Progress: 13%

Dean4Prez,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm 22 and really not against taking stacks. My main concern was how it affected the mechanics of the low carb diet. It sounds like they're "compatible" in that the stacks won't cancel out the functionality of atkins.. that's good.

At the time I posted that, I had been feeling low on energy for the past few days, but am happy to say that I've felt my energy levels start to return to normal.. so I will probably do something similar to what you said -- only use ECA stacks if I feel like I'm in a rut.

(Or on long roadtrips, heh).

Thanks again,
Michael