Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 23:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I was a serious Pepsi addict before Atkins. I would drink a 6-Pack a Day (338g Sugar), plus a 40/44 oz. Coke Slurpee (138g Sugar.) That is 2-1/2 cups (476g) of Sugar. Add to that, the Sugar in the Bananas and Starch in my Bread and Pasta and I was taking in 600g of Carbs a day.

BTW, 476g x 365 days = 173,740g = 1737.4 kg = 382.7 lbs = 1/5 ton of Sugar per year. By my estimates, during my lifetime [22 years] I have consumed more than 1-1/2 tons of Sugar.

Interestingly enough, since going on Atkins and drinking Diet Rites I have had no real need for Coke or Pepsi. I haven't had a Coke or Pepsi in 13 months and have no interest in having one ever again.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 23:22

Stats: 160/154/125 Female 5ft. 3in.
BF:
Progress: 17%

I used to drink Mountain dew all day and night! Never had anything else, before this WOL....

After a week on Aktins, I kept telling myself to find a diet soda I could have occasionally for the caffiene and bubbles....hahaha...

I tried Diet Dr. Pepper.....it tasted like PURE SUGAR!! Tried Diet Coke, more pure sugar....this was only after a week on Atkins!!

Needless to say, if I want something sweet to drink I have a crystal light, but other than that I love water now!! It's crazy!!

Bug
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 08:00

Stats: 207/186/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default I am not sure if I want to try Diet Rite...

I understand that it would fill that "Cola" need but aren't I better off just not even trying it? I usually will have unsweetened Iced Tea, water or very occasionally diet cherry 7-up with Jack. If I add another beverage it might not be good. I know I should really stick with water but sometimes I need a little flavor. If I try Diet Rite and like it too much it may affect me negatively. Anyone have problems drinking Diet Rite?

Martha
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 09:10

Stats: 146/121.5/120 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 94%

I keep some Diet Rite in the garage---something about TOM makes me crave Coke and potato chips, so instead I'll drink some Diet Rite and eat some salty nuts (1 oz. portion control pack so I don't go overboard). Really though, just a little soda is enough, half the time I don't even finish the bottle.

Would it be so bad to try Diet Rite? Everyone and their triggers are different. You've done really well since July.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 11:32
Registered Member

Plan: Eat to Live
Stats: 200/200/115 Female 5'4
BF:29%/28%/20%
Progress: 0%

Martha,

My personal opinion is that yes, it is better to just give it up. For me, I just kept trading one addiction for another and unfortunately I don't do well with any of the artificial sweetners.

Until I figure something out, I am just drinking water. For a taste change, I have a glass of lemon flavored ice cubes (Vons -- no chemicals, no additives, just slight (real) lemon flavor).

I think you're doing great!
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 15:43

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 283/162/165 Female 5ft6
BF:
Progress: 103%

same here although I only drink diet, I just can't seem to give it up.....at least not yet.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 16:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammie22
Martha,

My personal opinion is that yes, it is better to just give it up. For me, I just kept trading one addiction for another and unfortunately I don't do well with any of the artificial sweetners.

Until I figure something out, I am just drinking water. For a taste change, I have a glass of lemon flavored ice cubes (Vons -- no chemicals, no additives, just slight (real) lemon flavor).

I think you're doing great!

I think I'll pass on trying it for now. It's funny when I tell someone I've never eaten a certain item, i.e. Sweet Potato Pie. People look at me weird and tell me I don't know what I am missing. But, if I don't try it, I won't have to give it up. Right?????!!!!
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 16:23
Registered Member

Plan: Eat to Live
Stats: 200/200/115 Female 5'4
BF:29%/28%/20%
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bafmrf
I think I'll pass on trying it for now. It's funny when I tell someone I've never eaten a certain item, i.e. Sweet Potato Pie. People look at me weird and tell me I don't know what I am missing. But, if I don't try it, I won't have to give it up. Right?????!!!!

Right!!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 16:34
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
It's funny when I tell someone I've never eaten a certain item, i.e. Sweet Potato Pie. People look at me weird and tell me I don't know what I am missing. But, if I don't try it, I won't have to give it up. Right?????!!!!

I'm the exact opposite. I know what most high carb foods taste like, so there is no urge to eat them. However when I see something completly new curiosity gets the best of me and I really want to try a bite.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 16:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Stillmans
Stats: 150/143/120 Female 5'7
BF:26%/24%/18%
Progress: 23%

I think that you are doing fantastic!!! I would forget about even trying a sip, and if you really crave it go for diet. I am too a diet addict coke drinker (thanks to my older sisters who were constantly on a diet), and am slowly giving up the coke. I figure that I am doing my body the favor (less sugar) as well as my checkbook (it really adds up in change)- as I would rather spend my money on Americanos at Starbucks.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 17:13

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I sure understand...I would follow coke right thru the gates of hell if I had to. I have had a liter a day habit for years and years. I prefer coke but pepsi is just fine in a pinch. I am sure that a large part of my weight problem has been cokes and other sodas as compared with food calories.

I will always want coke - I just love the stuff. Having kidney stones popped me back into reality. I don't know if the coke had ANYTHING to do with it but in my mind I was sure it did....

At 47 I have learned to be more humble and respectful of my body. I have done so much damage getting so many of my calories from crap as opposed to real food. All that sugar and caffeine has just got to kill ya...and so bad on your stomach and intestines. I will always work hard to stay away from it - I will always want it! Orchid
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 17:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 275/261/200 Male 5-8.5
BF:
Progress: 19%

Im the one that kept coke in buisness. I would take a six pack to work everyday to work in my hot kitchen. Then I would go home and finish off a 2 litre with a pizza. Coke is the thing I miss the most. But ive lost 20 pounds in 12 days so far so, I can do without coke. FOR NOW.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 17:39

Stats: 170/160/145 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Before Atkins, I would rather have a can of coke than a chocolate bar. After Atkins, I took one sip. It tasted to me like Pepsi always has... like carbonated cough syrup. It was so sickeningly sweet. That was a couple weeks ago and I'm still not over my disappointment.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 17:41

Plan: Atkins since 5/27/03
Stats: 202/167/150 Female 67.25
BF:
Progress: 67%

Tommy the Chef - 20 lbs in 12 days!!! YOU ROCK! GO TOMMY!
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 19:29

BF:
Default Thanks for the nice words and encouragement..

I think we should have a Cheat Free COKE Challenge. I know I have at least 210 days under my belt....(OH, that's right I wear belts now)

Martha