Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 00:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270.4/263.2/170 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Am I eating the right things?

Okay, I just finished my first day using Fitday. I'm still not sure if I'm doing the program correctly, but I think I can see some areas where I'm going wrong. First of all here is the link to my journal...

http://fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJour...ner=longhornlui

I imagine I need to eat more vegetables and less meats with high sodium counts. Other than that I'm just below 20 net carbs, over my water minimum, below 12-times my body weight in calories, and 70% of my calories are from fat.

If you have a second, please give it a look and give me some suggestions and advice. The help I'm getting from everyone on this site is phenomenal! Talk about group support!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 00:07

BF:

Oh, by the way the food is on Jan 8th, not the 9th
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 00:21

Stats: 190/186.5/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 9%

When you look at your food at fitday..look at the box that says 'calories eaten today' that will show your percentages..and from another forum here's what the balance should be - hope this helps!
grams don't mean a thing if you're not also counting fat and carb grams

it's percentages that matter.

your percentages (from calories) should be about 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carbs while on induction.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 05:07

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

OK, you are right that the percentages and calories look about right. Also, nothing you are eating is really 'wrong', so in that sense you are eating the right things. However, if you are thinking about this diet long term I think some improvements to what you eat NOW, in the induction stage, could help with your nutrition and health, which should be your aims as well as weight loss.

Sausages contain salt yes, but they are also not really a quality protein and vitamin supplier compared to other meats... think of them as being junk meat.. nothing wrong with some sausages but you seem to have a lot.. Also that Italian sausage is listed as 4 carbs.. spending 4 carbs on sausages during induction is not quite right, they could go better eleswhere. I would suggest trying chicken breast, or a steak instead, and spending that extra 4 carbs on vegies.. even cheese would be better then whatever the filler is in the sausage.

Brocolli is good but a range of veges is best.. I'd include some leafy vege's like spinach or romaine lettuce to prevent the old constipation and provide vitamins etc.. they have so little carbs you can really stand to have more then 2 cups.

I would also say that the 'extra foods' are included for a reason.. that 1/2 avocado and 10 olives may not sound like much, but are healthy and also make a better snack then slim jims etc (which you spent 2 carbs on).

This can all be a bit to adjustment and good luck. I hope you find my suggestions useful.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 12:44
Registered Member

Plan: no rice
Stats: 132/132/112 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 0%

how do u do that? the fitday.. ive tried that so many times and i just can't figure that thing out.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 14:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciar
how do u do that? the fitday.. ive tried that so many times and i just can't figure that thing out.

There's a sticky post here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=38343

About that very topic

And thanks mb for the great advice! It helps hearing someone else explain to you and confirm why some things felt just "too good to be true."

Last edited by longhrnlui : Fri, Jan-09-04 at 14:56.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 15:06

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%

I'm no expert... but I did notice one thing. You had a low-carb shake yesterday, and those are considered by most to be no-no's during induction. The idea is to try and get you eating more natural foods, not relying on chemicals. But hey, if a shake a day is the worst thing you do, you are off to a great start.

--nw