Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-01, 18:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 298/247.5/185 Male 6 ft 1 in
BF:36%/23%/12%
Progress: 45%
Default Dizzy

Hi. I've been LC since the 7th of July. Lost a bunch of weight and feel great. I mountain bike hard about 2 hours a day and have never gone over 20 grams of carbs since I started. Recently I have been experiencing dizzy spells. If I still down for a long time then get up I will have these intense dizzy spells for about 10 seconds. It will go away after that then I'm fine. It happens almost everytime I sit for a long time. Any guess on what this can be before I see my doc?

Dave
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-01, 20:07

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I used to experience this when I training hard (cycling between 50 - 75 miles a day) in my case it was low blood pressure. Have you had your checked lately? You can test it yourself at most pharmacies these days.

Just a thought
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-01, 08:08
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 169/163/130
BF:
Progress: 15%

I think Nat's right - it's almost certainly a drop in blood pressure. Its something I've had for ever, because my normal blood pressure is always fairly low (110/60 - practically dead). It may be that from losing weight and vigourous exercise you've reduced your normal blood pressure. Then, when you stand up quickly your blood pressure drops quickly. I believe the name for this is orthostatic hypotension, and it's pretty common. The only other thing I would say is are you on any medications? Lots of meds can cause this, not just anti-hypertensives.

Jay
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-01, 16:01
Registered Member

Stats: 298/247.5/185 Male 6 ft 1 in
BF:36%/23%/12%
Progress: 45%

Thanks for the thoughts. I am seeing my doc about it tomorrow. I don't take any medication at all. I just hope it doesn't have anything to do with the diet. Hate to quite now that I'm doing so well.

Dave
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-01, 10:35

Stats: 290/262/175
BF:
Progress: 24%

Are you taking potassium and magnesium? I found that when I dont take them I feel dizzy and weak. Sometimes I find that I have to up the potassium for a couple of days, not sure why, then go back to the regular amount.

Just my obvious 2 cents

Holly
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-01, 18:42

Plan: Don't know
Stats: 260.2/254.2/150 Female 68in
BF:
Progress: 5%

This is interesting. I've always had low blood pressure (110/70) and I get dizzy spells all the time EXCEPT when I'm low carbing. Very interesting.

Eat more salt. Low sodium diet isn't for everyone.

OH! That's the whole point of gatorade isn't it...duh. Makes sense.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 17:58

Stats: 194.5/170/155 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 62%

I have also have had dizzy spells but after awhile I noticed that it was when I wasn't eating as much as I should (especially when increased exercise) - once I start that dizziness upon standing up almost blacking out sometimes I just increase my food intake and that takes care of it. Maybe it is just that you need to eat more food. It works for me!