Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 15:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Gnc

I was thinking. Does anyone else go to GNC for their vitamins and supplements? Is it worth it I mean compaired to Walmart? Is the Gold card worth it? I've always gone to Walmart but lately they keep running out of everything, and they no longer carry the vanilla whey protien powder just the chocolate. Some opinions please, would be apprediated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 15:37
Contributing Member

Stats: 300/220/200 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:
Progress: 80%

I go to GNC all the time because it's the only thing in my area that has a full stock of the Atkins products. The bake mix, in particular, I've had trouble finding at other stores.

If you're going to shop at GNC, the gold card is probably going to be worth it, especially if you're buying your supplements there. It only costs $15 for the card, and I made that money back plus some on my second trip.

~Ryan
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 16:14
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Also go fully armed. GNC will price match any store. Well atleast the one over here does. So I think it might be the same all over.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 16:26

Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:

Thanks for responding. Ryan, is that $15 a year or only once? MaryToU, I have read in these forums that it is actually different at different locations and with different employees.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 16:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 146/123/123 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

i paid 10 dollars for my gnc gold card and if you shop there the first week of the month it is well worth it, you save 30% during that week, at least we do here. i have noticed they have everything as compared to walmart is hit and miss. although our superwalmart now has an atkins/low carb complete aisle. they just tend to run out of the things you need when you need them most.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 16:44
Contributing Member

BF:
Smile

Only 10 bucks for the gold card? Man, I got ripped off! I'm not sure if it's for the year or a one time thing, I didn't really ask at the time. I guess I'll find out this december.

I still think it was worthwhile though, even at 50% more than what 2brickie paid.

~Ryan
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 16:55

Stats: 207.5/195.5/105 Female 61.5 inches
BF:38/35.8/20
Progress: 12%

Our's is $15 a year, but my DH saved more than that on his first trip. It even has a freezer section with quite a few Atkins products.

Mims
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 18:04

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

I never go into GNC---what does the Gold card give you? And are the prices better than WalMart?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 18:20
Contributing Member

BF:

Here's a link to the GNC goldcard info:
http://www.gnc.com/goldcard/

Hrm, it looks like the goldcard only gets you the big discount on the first week of the month. That's frustrating, but it's still fairly doable with a bit of planning.

~Ryan
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 18:30

Stats: 220.0/220/120 Female 5'3
BF:

I think at GNC in Canada we get the discount throughout the entire month. I've only shopped there once, so don't hold me to that!

We had to pay $15 for the card, which is good for a year. And the card payed for itself that first day, but things still seemed a little pricey. They also had a great selection of low carb snack things if you're looking for that kind of stuff.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 18:39
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Mine is $15 a year. 20% off the first 7 days of the month (a major pain since I live so far away) there are some discounts all month. Last month I got 30% off the zero carb bake mix.. so it pays to check.

I don't think I'm saving much overall, since the discount brings their price down to what I'd pay at Wal-Mart..but Wal-mart doesn't have much to choose from and/or is out a lot!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 21:33
Happy Spring!!!

Plan: Will be starting SBD soon
Stats: 226.5/223.5/175 Female 5'7
BF:34%/33%/lo as poss
Progress: 6%

my gold card was $15 too. My second trip there saved me nearly $20 tho so I got it back already plus some. I agree that Wal-Mart might be cheaper, but I like GNC because the usually have people there who know what they are talking about, instead of me looking at a bunch of bottles at WalMart and not being able to decide what I want to buy. Our GNC here in my town is little and doesn't have tons of atkins products, mostly bars and stuff, but they have a goodly selection of the rest of the vitamins I take. I heard the GNC's in Columbus has a much greater selection.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 21:51
Zombie Love Slave

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 247.6/231.6/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Just keep watch. The Gold Card goes on sale every so often. The regular price is $15. but in November and December there was a $10. sale. I renewed mine a little early to get the discount.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 22:43

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 189/184.5/165 Male 75 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default On-line

If you can plan out your supplements that you want to take, you can get the much cheaper on-line. I buy all of my vitamins and aminos on-line for much cheaper than any store. The trick to getting it much cheaper is first using froogle.com or shopping.yahoo.com and then ordering a big supply to offset the shipping costs. With this method you can get the high quality vitamins (I recommend solgar brand) for less than you would pay for store-brand ones. You can also get LC candy and soy stuff on-line but I haven't tried that yet. Be wary of Walgreens and CVS because they will gouge you (i.e. $15 for 50 ketostix ~ walgreens while you can get 100 for $6 w/ shipping online).
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 09:22

Plan: My own plan!
Stats: 176/163/135 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 32%

GNC has a company policy that they have to match competitor's prices so anytime I want something that Walmart is out of or if I want a different flavor of something, I go to GNC and show them my old Walmart receipt and I get a great deal!