Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 00:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 284/270/130 Female 5 ft. 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Lower Back Pain and Other Muscular Aches

My husband and I have been following Atkins for 3 months now. We are currently on OWL, and eating around 30-40 grams of carbs a day. Ever since we started the diet, my husband has had muscular soreness, especially in his left arm. We know it is muscular because he can bring the pain on by moving it a certain way. He has changed the way he slept, he has tried keeping it immobile, but nothing helps.

He has also started having lower back pain about 2 weeks ago. Again, he has increased his walking to strengthen the area, we have tried heat and massage, but nothing seems to help. He feels it is the diet, and I am beginning to suspect he is right.

He had his annual physical one month ago, and was pronounced to be in perfect health, albeit fat (and with high cholesterol for the first time in his life *sigh*). The doctor feels that it is better that my husband lose the weight, but is suspicious of Atkins.

We have started taking calcium, magnesium, and potassium supplements as of last week, hoping that this would help. So far, he feels no different.

We have had some nice results from this diet, but we have also seen some odd things. Between his muscle pain and my hair loss, we are getting frustrated. I have searched on backaches and muscular pain on this website, and it seems this is not uncommon (this is where I got the suggestion for cal/mag & potassium).

If anyone has had similar problems and resolved them, I would appreciate advice. Thanks!

~~Amaara
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 00:29

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

the vits are good. Give them a bit more time, maybe, and check the dosage. Also, how's his water intake?? Is he exercising??
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 00:53
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaara
... He had his annual physical one month ago, and was pronounced to be in perfect health, albeit fat (and with high cholesterol for the first time in his life *sigh*).

hi Amaara,

Is he taking a cholesterol-lowering medication? Muscle aches and pain are a side-effect of some of the statin drugs, and can indicate a serious problem of muscle tissue breakdown. If this is the case, please contact the dr ASAP as the medication will need to be stopped or switched to something else.

Otherwise, the minerals should be helpful. Make sure he's drinking lots of water .. dehydration can cause muscle cramps and weakness too.

hth,

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 00:55

Stats: 260/214/190 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 66%

I too had a lot of back pain but it started much earlier, probably around the 1st month and continued through the 3rd month. I attribute my back pain to the fact that I lost so much weight and was carrying myself differently. Because I lost weight so fast the muscles were unable to "keep up" and it took them a while to be strong enough to support my new posture.

That's my theory and I'm sticking with it.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 04:20

Stats: 272/226/150 Female 5'6"
BF:Way too much!!
Progress: 38%

Please pay exteme attention to what Doreen advised. My Mom ended up with paralysis from those drugs. The blood levels must be monitored closely. Once they hospitalized her and got her off the meds and then started her on some other, she was fine. I really don't think its the diet, but get him to a Dr. NOW. I would also think about finding a physician who is schooled in Atkins and go for another opinion AFTER the meds are checked. Good luck and keep us informed!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 07:24
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

This new WOE has taken my worst back pains away. Not sure if true but was told for every extra pound around the mid section puts 10 pounds of pressure. True or not, it sure seemed to be the case for me.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 08:39

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

After two months, the cholesterol can be high, but that should calm down. Unless it that some people are sensitive to arachnoid acid, and need to cut down on the red meats and eggs. I know I've read about this but can't find it on the web, perhaps another poster can expand on this.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 10:04
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkpam
After two months, the cholesterol can be high, but that should calm down. Unless it that some people are sensitive to arachnoid acid, and need to cut down on the red meats and eggs. I know I've read about this but can't find it on the web, perhaps another poster can expand on this.
Yes, some people can be sensitive to large amounts of AA coming from the diet, and have inflammatory reactions to it .. including elevated blood pressure and cholesterol, joint pains, skin rashes. We do make some AA in our bodies, and most people will experience no reaction. The Drs. Eades from Protein Power have this to say about AA:
Quote:
Can I really eat all the red meat and egg yolks I want?

Most people can. However, there are a few concerns to keep in mind. First, you can’t do the (low carb plan) halfway. You can’t increase your protein foods haphazardly and continue to eat carbohydrates as you do now and expect to see results. In fact, you’ll be worsening your problems if you do so.

Second, there are some people who may have problems with large amounts of red meat and large quantities of egg yolks. These people: have elevated blood pressure and/or cholesterol, retain abnormally high amounts of fluid, and/or suffer from inflammatory conditions such as skin rashes, asthma, allergies, bursitis, or arthritis.

It’s not the cholesterol in red meat and egg yolks that is the problem. It’s the fact that they are high in arachidonic acid, which can promote or worsen the above conditions.

Here is the strategy for these folks to follow: Eliminate red meat and egg yolks from your diet completely for three weeks. At the end of the three week period, take stock of your health. Has it improved? Eat a large portion of red meat and eggs for a couple of meals and observe what happens. If your problems reappear of get worse, you are sensitive to arachidonic acid and should have these foods only once in a while. When you do have them, make sure to remove as much of the fat from the beef as possible. Grill the beef. This will reduce the arachidonic acid by as much as 35%. Another option is to marinate the meat in a combination of red wine and olive oil or light sesame oil for 24 hours before grilling.

As far as eggs are concerned, have no more than one or two whole eggs at a sitting, and eat egg whites the rest of the time. Also, you should avoid margarine altogether (as everyone should).

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 10:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 146/123/123 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

lower back pain can also be caused from constipation. you might want to take some fiber or something. when my lower back starts to really bother me, it is almost always related to constipation. as far as muscle aches i havent had any of those, but maybe give it awhile longer and see how it turns out.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 12:26

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Please don't give up this way of eating!

Quote:
We have started taking calcium, magnesium, and potassium supplements as of last week, hoping that this would help.

Just last week, so give it time, cause you really should have been doing this all along. I't's not going to change overnight. And putting on weight is not going to help a darn thing, right?

I agree to about if he is on meds like Lipator, that damn stuff did my hubby in, he felt as weak as a kitten! He also has Parkinsons, but that Lipator made him feel far worse then the PD did. He is now on non flushing Niacin for chol. and it is working, he is checked every three months. The day he quit the lipitor he felt much better, his leg muscles seemed to wake up, his sore back went away!

Hang in there, Kathy
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 17:35

Stats: 284/270/130 Female 5 ft. 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Thanks, all. The doc did prescribe Lipitor, and he took it for 3 days, then his back started hurting. We *immediately* stopped it, because of the known side effects. This was two weeks ago.

He is walking 30 minutes every day, but he hasn't been drinking enough water, imho. I had been nagging him, but he has begun (today) to dramatically increase his water intake.

He hasn't been constipated.

Thanks again. I will keep everyone apprised.

~~Amaara
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 17:47

Plan: Atkins since 5/27/03
Stats: 202/167/150 Female 67.25
BF:
Progress: 67%

LACK of vitamin C can cause muscle pains. Please be aware of how much you may have changed that - do you take a multi vitamin with vit C in it? Are you following strict induction still? This could be the culprit...
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 17:49

Plan: Atkins since 5/27/03
Stats: 202/167/150 Female 67.25
BF:
Progress: 67%

Oh also hair loss is very common with stress and your body views weight loss as stress, there was agreat thread on that with a link to a very informative article, look it up on here, if I find it I will let you know...
Here is the link

site: http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/newsle...07.html#letters

Last edited by ashley1 : Wed, Jan-07-04 at 17:51.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 18:27

Stats: 166/160/143 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 26%

If the back pain is muscular, as you say, then perhaps it is because of the actual weight loss and not the diet.

The stonger your stomach muscles are, the stronger your back is.
So I suggest situps or cruches daily to strengthen the abdomen to "carry" the back.