Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 12:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/214/190 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Last few questions before I start

I've bought the book, read the book, checked out the web site. I've done some reading here (Thanks Nat et. al.). And, I've lost enough weight on Adkins that I'm no longer ashamed to set foot in the gym (silly, I know, but we all got our neuroses).

My goals for the exercise are:
Better self esteem through better body and accomplishing positive goals.
Stronger back.
Helping my diet to remove the excess "me".
Also, I won't turn down more endurance, more energy, and a bod that turns heads

So, here are my questions:
1) Supplements: Right now, I take a multi-vitamin (no iron). Chromium picolonate (sp?) once a day. Flax oil capsule once a day. I see references to several supplements for weight lifting/muscle building:
Creatine
Glutimate
Whey protein

Are any of these required (I'm guessing not). They are all pricey at the local GMCs, so I have to pick just one or two, which one(s) are the "best", considering my goals above?

2) Diet: looks like I won't have any major problems with Adkins and BFL thanks to all the wonderful info I found here, but any insights are welcome.

3) Stretching: I didn't find any specific references to this in BFL. Did I just miss it the 1st time through? Do folks stretch before and after a lifting day or just before? I'm way to stiff for my age, so I'm looking into some sort of stretching class at the gym I decide to join (Ti Chi or yoga or some such). Any recommendations.

I'll keep y'all posted on my progress, I've narrowed my gym choices down to 2, just going for a final visit to each this weekend before I plunk down the cash to join.

Thanks again for all the wonderful advice and support.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 13:21

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Of your three optional supplements, I would spend my money on glutamine first. Glutamine drastically reduces muscle soreness (voice of experience) and can help blunt sugar cravings (if you have those - I didn't).

Whey protein - this depends on how much protein you get in a normal day already, and what your needs are. GNC is ugly expensive. I get my Designer Whey protein at bodybuilding.com. $17.95 for the 2.1 lb container, or $29.99 for 5 lbs. GNC was $29 for the 2.1. I add protein powder to things like yogurt and oatmeal, and it makes a nice grab it and go shake, too.

Creatine - don't spend money on this yet. It's an pretty advanced thing, and I'd say your plate will be full enough for awhile. It also only helps some people, and is more for building muscle than losing fat. If you're new to lifting, you'll be adding muscle easily enough anyways, and creatine probably won't be worth the $$ spent.

Cheers!

Friday
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 14:13

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%

on stretching, Bill insists that the first reps are akin to stretching since we use low weights and really concentrate on lengthening and contracting the muscle. I don't stretch and I haven't had any problems. Some times I'll do quick stretches between sets to get the ol blood flowing and to look busy! LOL
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 17:10
Contributing Member

Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardbear
3) Stretching: I didn't find any specific references to this in BFL. Did I just miss it the 1st time through? Do folks stretch before and after a lifting day or just before? I'm way to stiff for my age, so I'm looking into some sort of stretching class at the gym I decide to join (Ti Chi or yoga or some such). Any recommendations.

Hi bardbear,

I'm way to stiff too, so I've looked around at doing some yoga. First I tried a class at a rec centre and it was pretty hard to do. It took a lot of strength and it was a beginner class. Then I started going to a class that is in the building I work in. It was much more my speed. Problem is, I have a hard time getting to this one because it is during work hours. There is also a local yoga tv program that comes on at 6:00 a.m., so I tape it and do it a night sometimes.

I guess you just have to try different classes until you find what is right for you. Both of the classes I went to had drop in fees, so you could pay for just one class rather than joining up for the whole series.

Arnie
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 17:17
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

I stretch after the first set on Benches and Squats. I also do a lot of stretching on cardio days.

Emily
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 07:46
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the suggestions. When I get paid next week, I'll get some glutamine and pay for my new gym membership.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 08:22
Contributing Member

Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardbear
Thanks for the suggestions. When I get paid next week, I'll get some glutamine and pay for my new gym membership.

When you get the glutamine be sure to get the powdered stuff that is about 5 grams/tsp. Many of us (incuding myself) made the mistake of buying the capsules that are only .5 grams/capsule.

Arnie
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 09:36

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Oooh, good catch, Arnie. Yes, a cannister of the powder, not the capsules. The powder can be added to water or to a protein shake - just be sure to drink it soon after you mix it up. It's pretty much tasteless, so even in plain water, it's no prob to get down.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 13:52

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Good thing I checked this thread, I was just leaving to buy some Glutamine and more and likely would have bought the capsules! YIKES!

Thanks guys.

Also, wanted to add that I always stretch for 5 minutes or so when I'm done with my workout (weight lifting only). Its relaxing and helps to get my heart rate down.

Wee

Last edited by WeeOne : Fri, Jan-09-04 at 13:54.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 11:22

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default Bfl

Quote:
1) Supplements: Right now, I take a multi-vitamin (no iron). Chromium picolonate (sp?) once a day. Flax oil capsule once a day. I see references to several supplements for weight lifting/muscle building: Creatine, Glutimate, Whey protein

I would up the flax to 1 Tablespoon of liquid per 100 lbs. bodyweight. It mixes in protein shakes well.

Whey would be the first choice on my list of the 3. I am also a big believer in glutamine, but whey is more important as far as I am concerned. If you are meeting your daily protein requirements already without whey, then you can go for the glutamine.

Are you taking any protein in after your weight lifting sessions? If not, a good whey isolate shake taken within 20 - 30 mins of your workout will do wonders for your growth and recovery.

Also, GNC is overpriced in most cases. Look online, or try proteinfactory.com for your protein.

Quote:
Stretching: I didn't find any specific references to this in BFL. Did I just miss it the 1st time through? Do folks stretch before and after a lifting day or just before? I'm way to stiff for my age, so I'm looking into some sort of stretching class at the gym I decide to join (Ti Chi or yoga or some such). Any recommendations.

Basic stretching between sets always worked for me. If you need to see some examples go here: Stretching
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 12:40
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately, my doctor won't let me lift yet, so I'm in holding pattern till my shoulder is better. Ah well, gives me more time for research.