Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 06:07
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%
Thumbs down Anxiety

Well yesterday morning I woke up short of breath and chest pains.. I tried to take care of the house,kids,buisness, way too much after just burying my sister Sunday.. I had never felt that bad before. But the pain just got unbearable and the dizzy spells made me faint. Next thing you know Im at the doctors office on a EKG machine. They said my blood pressure was very high(which never had been) and my heartbeat was erattic.. They sent me straight to the hospital.. After HOURS of tests and waiting around it turned out it was a bad anxiety attack. SHWEW, my hubby was in tears.. They let me go home with strict orders to take it easy for a few days... That was the scariest I ever felt like dying.. Im soo glad to be ok and home...I exspected doctors and such to make some crack about being on the Atkins diet, but to my surprise not even a one said a negative thing about Atkins....SHOCKER..They did however ask me over and over if I was on ephedra or any other diet pills, I was like HELL NO. Im not crazy....They saw I was telling the truth once the bloodwork came back....Heres where I have a question for YOU the FORUM.......... My DH which is the one who got me started on this WOE, said," Hun, maybe you should take a few days off the diet." What in the world for? I tried to tell him the attack and the diet had nothing to do with one another but he was very scared yesterday..I do feel alot better this morning.. I just put too much stress and work on my plate at a sad family time..
I do NOT want to top this WOE for one day..
Please... I would really like some advice.. Thank you and God bless.
Angel
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 06:41

Plan: aitkens
Stats: 216/177/150 Female 5feet5inches
BF:
Progress: 59%

I kn ow what you mean by anxiety.Just before xmas I had to take a week off work as I was so stressed out.I would go to the gym and not be able to finish and have to leave.I just felt like my legs couldn't hold me up and I was having heart palpations etc.I went to the doc and he gave me some sedatives to calm my insides but I didn't take them as I hate to take any meds unless absolutely necessary.Then I remember a book i had twenty years ago when i had Panic attacks na i reread it.Basically it is for people who have stressed themselves by grief,work ,family issues etc.It says to let it go.I know that i worry about everything and find it hard to let go.Before xmas my sis ter tells me she is getting a divorce after 30 years marriage,my daughter lost her job, my other daughters husband lost his job and I helped my daughter buy and settle into a new house.This is the busy time at work as i work retail and so it all piled up.STress.It can make you so weak that you can hardly move and the first three days i was off i slept almost the whole time.I guess my body needed it.So the basic of the book is first Acceptance accept that things will happen second don't fight it accept it and them float through it.Imagine yourself on a cloud or imagine yourself swimming past it.Then give yourself time and eventually it will not bother you so much.I try to meditate every day or take deep breathes and slowly let it out.It is very calming.You can do it but like everything it takes time.Good luck and God bless.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 07:00

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Angel!

Sorry to hear about your loss and that you're feeling so stressed. I know how scary panic/anxiety attacks can be...I had them about 12 years ago when I was going through a very stressful period as well. For some people, it really can feel like you're having a heart attack! I did wind up taking medication for it for a short while and it did help. The doctor also advised me to avoid (or at least cut back a lot) caffeine and other stimulants. I was taking Sudaphed at the time for a sinus problem and it turns out that I react to it like a person who is taking speed.
FWIW, I don't think going back to a high carb diet, even for a few days, will help. It will probably just send your blood sugars on a wild roller coaster ride and might even make things worse instead of better. DO take care of yourself and take it easy. Do activities that you find relaxing and comforting. Allow yourself to grieve for your loss; keeping emotions like that in stresses the body, too.
I hope you're feeling better soon!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 08:24
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Someone else was having problems with anxiety, esp around bed time.

What suppliments are you taking? Some may have hidden stimulants, esp diet pills. There are also suppliments that can help with the anxiety. I think someone else recomended pottassium, calcium, and magnesium, the standard ones for an LC diet. You might want to track down the thread. It was titled something like "I am so nervous"
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 08:31

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

I am having these attacks too but nothing so severe yet. I am so sorry!!!! I do think you are correct that you should not eat badly if you can help it though..you dont need to feel worse! (((HUGS)))
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 09:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I'm sure eating this way had nothing to do with it, as I found my moods are both smoother and better since I've started low carbing. And what good will come from dumping a bunch of sugar and starch into your body?
Stick with it. My sympathies for your loss. This is a terrible blow and if you don't feel up to a "normal" level of activity, accept that you can't do it, and then don't.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 12:15
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

To answer, I never take stimulants.. I guess too much grief and stress was it. Thank you everyone. I am taking the doctors advice and taking a few days off work etc....But not off my WOE.