Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 11:34

Plan: Restarted LC 8/23/06
Stats: 254/208/175 Female 5'8"
BF: Moo
Progress: 58%
Default Weight Watchers on LC

Looky what I got in my mailbox from WW this morning, just in time for the new year! Methinks they're annoyed b/c I've lost 50 lbs and they aren't gettin' a dime from me now. Ahhh, life is good. Even if I do drop dead tomorrow b/c my BP and cholesterol are now well within normal limits.

Weight Watchers - The "Truth" about Carbs

Have at it, kids. Oh, and ladies...you're going to get kidney stones if you stay on this plan. Must be all that water we're drinking.

badgoat
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 15:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Weight Watchers should disclaim its business interest in seeing low carb diets fail when they put out this kinda information...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 18:50
Registered Member

Stats: 191/190/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Let me put it this way......if there weren't a million other reasons to low carb....I did weight watchers for two weeks recently and thought I was going to starve to death. There are better ways to die....and live for that matter. So.....give me a steak any day!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 18:52

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

No and low carb diets they say. Which diet is no carbs. They're nuts.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 20:00

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Oh PUHLEEZ! If it's just a matter of cutiing calories why did I have to eat 1000 calories a day in order to lose on Weight Watchers and on Atkins I eat around 2000 a day and have lost every month that I've been on it. Also I had kidney stones years before I ever heard of Atkins. As a matter of fact, I was on Weight watchers when I had my first one. How 'bout them apples WW?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 21:15
Registered Member

Stats: 269/243/200 Male 6' 00"
BF:39%/32%/25%
Progress: 38%
Angry What a bunch of crap!

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/...eas&inbound=MSN

Read the "truth" about carbs at this link.

Sounds like Weight Watchers is scared.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 21:26
Registered Member

Stats: 190/162.5/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 69%

I don't even know what to say to the statements made by WW. I think they are a little afraid of how many people are switching from WW to LC. I'm just speechless!!!

Melissa
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 21:29
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

They've also put a ton of money into advertising lately. I saw my first weight watchers commercial on TV the other day.

They also offer lower carb plans now. Of course since they think fat is evil it is probably low carb and low fat, erm yeah that sounds appatising :P
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 23:36
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

I saw the WW commercial too the other day.. that was a first...
that article is appalling!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 23:52

Stats: 297/235/190
BF:

It's funny, Weight Watchers made its name through the New York City's Board of Health diet which was pretty low carb. It even restricted carrots and tomatoes.

"People following these extreme diets ate fewer calories."
Dr. Atkins claims in his book, that people who follow his diet usually eat fewer calories, although it is not necessary, Because low-carb keeps you from being hungry longer. So they prove him right and then use it against him... A perfectly natural appetite suppressor, not produced by a drug company.. how terrible.

"The pseudo- science that's making the rounds says things like "only carbs can turn to fat," "how many calories you eat has nothing to do with what you weigh," and "carbs are bad for your health."
Sounds possible, but it's not true. Fact is, any calories eaten beyond what your body burns are stored as body fat."

The human body is not a giant vacuum where calories go in and out. It is a bit more complex, you need enzimes and hormones to acomplish even the most simple task. Carbs do not turn to fat, but you can't store any excess calories as fat without the hormone "insulin". Carbs are the major factor in producing insulin. Cut out carbs and you cut out insulin then you can't store fat no matter how many calories you ingest. (don't cut out ALL insulin it does serve some usefull purposes)

danny
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 10:11

Plan: Restarted LC 8/23/06
Stats: 254/208/175 Female 5'8"
BF: Moo

I found something else intriguing about the two plans. I lost 25 lbs on each plan (then another 20-ish so far with LC). At the 25 lb mark, I was a full dress size smaller on LC than on WW. And I was being a good little low-fat/high carb robot and doing lots of cardio (no weights) on WW. Sheesh. How's that for depressing? Hungry and panting all the time.

viva LC!

badgoat
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 21:08
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I was at Walmart today and saw new Weight Watchers Smart One Meals. They had "The Truth About Carbs" in bold print on the front, telling you to read the back. They also all had the total carbs listed on the front. Most of them were 9 total carbs :P

Low fat, low cal, and low carb. :P
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 22:08

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

Badgoat, I've noticed that too - I'm a lot smaller at this weight than when I last got here using a low fat diet. And I did a lot more extra exercise then too. Nowadays I just do my normal routines; obviously my body isn't clinging to this fat as tightly as when I did LF.

So, what is in those Smart One meals then?
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 15:35

Stats: 185.5/185.5/160 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Funniest line in the article:

"With a long history of providing science-based weight-loss programs that are safe, healthy, and focused on the long term, you can count on Weight Watchers to give you sound information."

Whatever.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 22:59

Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

[QUOTE]"only carbs can turn to fat," "how many calories you eat has nothing to do with what you weigh," and "carbs are bad for your health."[QUOTE]

Where are they getting these quotes???? Seems like they pulled them from their a**!