Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 18:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 276/265/200 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%
Smile How has it worked to get your family to change?

Hi everyone!
I am a newbie to your forum ( and still trying to figure out the logistics of how to reply etc!!! ), but last fall I lost about 25 pounds and then gained some back during a family illness, so I am looking for support, trying to get moving again, and trying to commit again. I miss the energy I had (and the loose fitting jeans!)
Was wondering if anyone else out there has suggestions for a family with 3 teenagers. (They are all active and thinner then I EVER was!) Spaghetti and Pizza are the mainstays around here.
I noticed last time I was LCing a few months ago that my grocery bill was about $30.00 more a week than normal. So this time I thought I'd get the family eating more of what I eat and see what happens. Any suggestions on menus etc would be great! I have checked out the recipe sites many times but seems a lot of the suggestions are for fish like salmon etc....which doesn't come cheap in Kansas!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 19:27

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Judy!

Two mainstays around my house are Deep Dish Pizza Quiche and Awesome Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole. As a matter of fact, we all had the Deep Dish Pizza Quiche for dinner tonight. They're both family friendly, filling and very yummy! They're both located in the Main Dish area of the recipe forum here.
If spaghetti is what everyone is craving, spaghetti squash fills the bill nicely. Just put whatever sauce you want (like Alfredo, for instance with some nice veggies in it) on top and voila!
My whole family (me, DH and two girls ages 8 and 9) is on low carb at varying levels. My girls do maintainance levels and I include light wheat bread, fruits, oatmeal and yogurt in their menus as well as the occasional treat or bag of chips, but most of their treats are sugar-free. For the most part, they've adapted nicely.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 19:42
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

The chicken casserole mentioned above is WONDERFUL! My whole family loves it, and you can vary the cheeses and veggies used too. I did a chicken/swiss/asparagus one and it was a hit.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 20:46
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

One way with kids is easy. Just don't buy the junk. If they want it they can spend allowance or money on it. I'm not saying cut out all sweets or treats, that can backfire and they spend all thier money and don't know self control.

Teenagers though are extreamly lazy. Keep a plate of Lc ready snacks in teh fridge. If it is a choice between cooking something, or grabbing what's there, they will grab what's there. Cook LC meals, and maybe have a moderate carb side dish for them if they aren't trying to lose weight.

Make small changes for thier health. Everything all at once would be too much and cause them to rebel. Instead just start buying all natural peanutbutter with no added sugars. Start getting high fiber whole grain breads instead of white bread. Buy brown rice instead of white. Yes they will whine and complain, but they will probably eat it.

Right now I am having deer stroganoff. You could make it easy with beef. For you have it on a large bed of spinach, for the non LC'ers go ahead and make up some noodles. Or even better ask them first if they even want noodles, or just the meat.

Make tacos one night. You have yours on either LC tortillas or in a cheese shell, while they have the more traditional. The lettuce, cheese, sour cream and guacamole are all LC. On th emexican note make fajitas and just eat them like a stir fry. You can also make mexican quiches and freeze them in single servings. The kids may enjoy something they can pop in microwave fast and have a snack.

One thing I notice works by many of the mothers on this bored, is just make up something for yourself. Boil a dozen eggs and keep them in fridge for a snack. It's amazing, but those same family members who complain about your diet won't think twice about stealing all your eggs :P (A plate of deviled eggs also doesn't last long)
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 22:36

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

I basically cook the same as I always have I just pass o the white stuff, I use Sp Sq alot. I live with 3 totally fit trim guys. If any thing I think, I've cut down on the casseroles, however, on those nights, I get lamb steak
:>)
Cheers Kathy