Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 14:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 240/163/175 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 118%
Default Stalled?

Since staring this WOE back on novemeber 25th I have lost 30-35lbs or so. I lost that weight within 3 weeks and all without workingout. Since I started working out on December 15, I haven't lost any significant weight at all. I eat the same foods as I did before and the scale doesn't seem to want to turn over into the 199 or less club. I have lost 1 to 2 inches off my waist though. What he heck is going on?

BTW, I'm still on induction carb amounts!

Thanks for reading and I hope someone can provide some info into what is going on.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 14:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/223/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

I would say the weight comes from muscles. So you are losing but your muscles weigh more so the scale doesn't show a loss.
angie
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 15:58

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

Skeeter, first congratulations on the weight and inches loss. Second, take a look at what I replied to Wager when she reported a small gain: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=156686
It's normal. Just keep on keeping on.

Joan
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 16:20

Plan: LC
Stats: 200/000/000 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 100%

....Its is very frustrated....so pay very much attention to your cloth .....(Im in the same place as you on my second attempted now)........let's hang in there....MUST :-))))
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 16:23

Plan: Atkins > SBD from 27Sep04
Stats: 291/279/190 Female 5ft 9
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Same has happened to me

Well Skeeter, same has happened to me.. I lost great for 4-5 weeks, and then this past week I have gone up 5 pounds (refuse to change my stats just yet). I have ruled out TOM, hidden carbs, have not cheated at all, and no chance it is muscle weight (gentle walking will hardly gain muscle).

I am just going to stick with it and hopefully it will come off again. Trying not get disheartened.

Is it really a common thing that people hit a bump 4-5 weeks in?

Luscious
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 19:11

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Skeeter, 30 lbs in one month is alot of weight. If you lost no more than 30 more lbs this year, that would be a total of 60 lbs in a year year.I was stalled for months. I did not exercise at the time. I then was forced to climb 2 flights of stairs several times a day since we purchased a new home with stairs. Then my stall broke so I accredit that to exercising. I had hoped to have lost 40 lbs in 2003. However, on any other diet, I would have been thrilled to have lost 20 lbs in a year. So losing 26 lbs sounds so much better.

Your body will always stall in weightloss periodically. I have come to the conclusion that it goes through some form of resting or catch-up period. If we monitored weight gain as closely, I am sure that there would be stalls as it increases, also.

My suggestion is to truly adapt to this way of eating. Whatever exercising that you do will be conducive to your weightloss goals.The weight will come off. You are only 20 lbs away from your goal weight, you might want to move on to OWL and up your carbs a bit. Sometimes raising carbs will cause a woosh. But, the closer you get to goal the more difficult weightloss will be.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 20:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I don't know if this helps skeeter, but what happens for me with low carbing is that I lose a pound or a few pounds, then I level out for a while. Then my body seems to adjust and I lose again, then level out. For me, its a process. You've actually had stunning weight loss for only lowcarbing since November. Your body is probably just getting used to things before dropping more weight.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 20:30
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

For the past six months or so, I have been losing weight every other month. I lose weight one month (five to eight pounds) and the next month I lose nothing or I gain back a couple of pounds.

It's very common for people to lose weight unevenly. I think our bodies reach a new low and then they take some time to get used to it. Just be patient and you will start losing again.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 21:09
Registered Member

Stats: 219/214/165 Female 70 inches
BF:34.4/34.4/20
Progress: 9%

You may want to consider increasing your carb intake and seeing if that makes a difference. When I started exercising my weight loss stopped, although I did continue to drop inches. I played around with increasing the carbs to increase my stamina for exercise and prompt weight loss again. So far it is working!
Catherine
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 00:38

Plan: Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/140.6/129 Female 5,1
BF:
Progress: 68%

The first real obstacle that I had just beginning was to avoid the expectation trap that induction caused to my psychis. To think that if I had lost 9 pounds in 2 weeks then I'll be done in one more month...It doesn't work that way but it DOES work.
Stick to the plan and things will start moving again