Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 15:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 284/270/130 Female 5 ft. 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Blood glucose meter recommendation

Does anyone have a recommendation for a glucose monitor? Mine is 4 years old, and I was thinking about replacing it, especially since I think it tends to measure my BG low. I would like one that would allow me to download readings into my computer. I bought the Lifescan OneTouch Profile, but I never could get the software to work properly. Hopefully they have updated it in the 3 years or so since I gave up on it. Should I replace it simply because it is old?

I would appreciate any recommendations!

Thanks,

~~Amaara
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 15:46
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 185/170/175 Male 6 foot
BF:Who Knows/Cares
Progress: 150%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaara
Does anyone have a recommendation for a glucose monitor?

Hi,

Blood Glucose Monitors have been discussed many times in other threads. Here is one -

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=135878

Thanks,

Adam
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 16:41

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default test strips

One thing that people should consider when buying a meter is the price of the test strips. As everyone here knows, they are all outrageously expensive but do vary in price by brand.
Walgreens and Kroger pharmacies often have free diabetes magazines that list all the major meters and their specifications. You might find that helpful, too.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 16:53

BF:

Thank you very much, nopie.

~~Amaara
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 21:42

Plan: Free-range
Stats: 161/154/140 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 33%

I find the Accu-Chek Complete has an easy-to-use software program with it...not sure what you pay un US for it's strips....Eve
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 10:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 237/223.6/180 Male 70 inches
BF:33/24/12
Progress: 24%

The meter that is recommended by Dr.Bernstein's office is
the Bayer Ascensia Elite XL. I called his Office in December and it is the one they have been recommending for years because of the quality control of the strips . they said any Bayer "elite" model is recommended.

The Elite XL can be downloaded into your computer from the meter using a optional cable that can be bought from Bayer for $29.95 here and the software can be downloaded for free here.

Using the software and cable gives you all kinds of control over your meter and the software can display and print an abundance of info.

I haven't got the cable yet so I just input readings manually. It a little bit of a pain but It works.
I'll be ordering the cable today or tommorow.

I will admit the meter and strips are a little pricy But the meter cost $65 and has a $45 rebate plus $20 off coupon for strips with it.

I bought a new one last month when my pharmacist told me that the new ascensia strips would not work in my old Bayer elite model. After getting home with the new one I programed my old meter with the new strips and checked it against the new meter and it was dead on with the new meter on every test.
I'll be sure my pharmacist hears about this so he doesn't make someone else spend money for a new meter they don't need.(I'll admit I did want the XL model from the beginning)
I hope this helps
Good luck and Happy New Year

Kevin
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 16:28

Stats: 203/171/170
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaara
Does anyone have a recommendation for a glucose monitor?
I would appreciate any recommendations!
~~Amaara

Every time I go for an A1c, I take a reading with my TheraSense Freestyle within one minute of the blood being drawn. My reading never varies from the lab's by more than 1 mg/dl. The last time the readings were identical. Therasense strip quality control is superb.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 21:01
Registered Member

Stats: 185/170/175 Male 6 foot
BF:Who Knows/Cares
Progress: 150%

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6h6o3
Every time I go for an A1c, I take a reading with my TheraSense Freestyle within one minute of the blood being drawn. My reading never varies from the lab's by more than 1 mg/dl. The last time the readings were identical. Therasense strip quality control is superb.

Hmmmm had the opposite occur with two Freestyles that I owned (they were off by over 20 mg/dcl). I returned them both back to the drug store and I only use the one touch ultra now (I have two of them). I believe that I posted this story a while ago....
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 15:59

BF:

Thank you all very much for this information!

~~Amaara
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 21:31

Stats: 203/171/170
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by switzr
Hmmmm had the opposite occur with two Freestyles that I owned (they were off by over 20 mg/dcl). I returned them both back to the drug store and I only use the one touch ultra now (I have two of them). I believe that I posted this story a while ago....

Goes to showya the importance of calibrating the meter with your doctor's lab, no matter what kind you get. Accuracy is everything. Mine is perfect so I'm sticking with it.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 16:41

BF:

kevjol, I wanted to thank you again for recommending the Bayer Ascensia Elite XL. I bought it and it is a joy. I am only upset that I waited so long to get a new model. Thanks again!

~~Amaara