Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 07:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/169/120 Female 5'2"
BF:don't know
Progress:
Default Be careful with restaurant eating!

I'm in induction, and got into ketosis. Last night my family went out to eat and I decided to order an innocent plate of eggs and bacon. Thank God, I asked the waitress to check and see if the bacon had sugar added, because it turned out it had. Then I said I'd like ham, but not if it was sugar-cured. She checked. It was! Then I asked about sausage. She was laughing by then and checked. She said there was sugar in the sausage, after she checked. Finally, I said, "Can I please have a pork chop? If that has sugar in it, then I'll just take the eggs." She was kind enough to check to make sure it was just a pork chop, and it was. I had a pork chop and three eggs (I love how we can have large portions). Because she was so kind and good-natured, my hub slipped her a $10 tip.

Moral of the story: DON'T ASSUME ANYTHING WHEN EATING OUT!

I have lost four pounds in four days, and hope to continue.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 07:56

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

ya know... When I first started on here I noticed that people ususally say a steak and salad is a safe dinner order at a restaurant. Since then I have learned that most restaurant steaks are 1-30 carbs each from the huge amount of spices and most salads have added sugar too... it's very disappointing! At least where you were they kbew.. most places dont have nutritional info still...
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 09:19

Stats: 186/186/120 Female 5'2" Inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default I know what you mean..

I just found out that the bacon that I ate this morning had sugar in it. My question is, however, that if it says no carbs but has sugar, which are you to believe? I always assumed that 0 carbs meant that and it was OK to eat. If I can't do that then there is NOTHING that I can eat next to making it myself..

FRUSTERATING
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 09:23

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

Bacon is usually cured with some kind of sugar, although not always very much. I have found that packages of "sugar cured" bacon still list 0 carbs. This is allowed if there is <1 g of carbs. If you want to be safe, count the carbs as 1 g when there is some kind of carbohydrate listed on the ingredients but 0 carbs listed on the label.

Joan
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 09:25

Stats: 186/186/120 Female 5'2" Inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

So the sugar that I ate, in itself, won't hurt. That is a relief. I really need to do this right.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 09:39

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

Well Smurfy, you have to be careful with the sugars in foods. If it's a refined sugar, such as what's in bacon, then it might trigger cravings for you. Be careful, take things slowly, and keep a journal describing your reactions to foods.

Read label ingredients. Watch for "sugar" words indicating added sugars. There will be some natural sugars in some foods, which will show up as "sugar" on the nutritional label, but check the ingredients. If no added sugars are listed then the sugar on the nutritional label is most likely a natural sugar in the food, and shouldn't have much of an impact if the food is an induction-approved food. If it is an added sugar you should avoid it while on induction and then be careful with it at the later stages of this WOE.

I have found that it is a "learning experience" to know what types of foods trigger cravings, and that it is also necessary to learn how to avoid giving in to those cravings if they occur.

Joan
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 09:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 303.5/283.5/170 Female 5'11'
BF:
Progress: 15%

also helpful is to click the orange "low carb tools" link at the top of the page. there are two tools there: the carb counter and the hidden carb inspector. you can use the inspector to find out how many carbs are in your 0 carb bacon. i've found this very useful.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 14:30
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

Eating luncheon meats and bacon cured with some sugar has never slowed me down. It is different for everyone; however, it definitely CAN trigger cravings in some. The ONLY thing that triggers cravings for me is low-carb candy.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 14:39
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I allways buy bacon that says sugar free, just read where it says,"cured with".