Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 01:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217.8/190.9/154 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress: 42%
Question Whats the story with cabbage?

I would appreciate some imput on the correct carb count for cabbage. I have looked at many references all with different answers? The dietclub food database has confusing data on this too. Some have it down at 3g carbs with 4g of fibre? how does that work? Is that minus 1 carb

I love cabbage and just want to make sure im not over doing it on the count as I am still on Induction.

P.s. Does Chinese cabbage have no carbs? If so, what does it look and taste like? I have only ever seen common and savoy.

I would appreciate any info....

Cheers Cheley
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 16:09
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

I go by Dietclub’s carb counts and according to them Chinese cabbage has the lowest at 0.8g per cup (80g), followed by common and savoy at 2g per cup and then red at 2.4g per cup. I found looking at different carb counters all the time just made me confused and annoyed. I figure its swings and roundabouts….some counts will be higher, some will be lower but hopefully it evens out in the end.

If you want to see what a Chinese cabbage looks like just do an ‘image’ search for ‘Chinese cabbage’ on google.

The 3g carb count with 4g fibre probably refers to an Australian food where the fibre is already deducted so it will just be 3g not -1g.

Last edited by zedgirl : Mon, Dec-29-03 at 16:12.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 15:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217.8/190.9/154 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Thanks.

Thanks Zedgirl,

It can get very confusing! So does the Diet Club Count already have the fibre reduced from all their listings? You know, to get the "net" carb?

I hope not, as I have been reducing the carb count by the fibre count to get my daily <20carbs!

And since this post I have found Chinese Cabbage, bought some yesterday, havent tried it yet, but i like most vegies!

Thanks for your help, and congrats on your fantastic loss!

I have a wedding in a month, and am hoping to shed well in the new year, wish me luck!

Cheers Cheley.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 15:42
Say cheese!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheley05

I hope not, as I have been reducing the carb count by the fibre count to get my daily <20carbs!

Sorry to disappoint you but in Australia the carb counts have already had the fibre deducted. Don't be too disheartened......If you've been losing weight anyway just think of all the weight you'll lose when you start factoring it in.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 21:01

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 172/149/144 Female 5ft. 3 1/2 inches
BF:45%/33%/27%
Progress: 82%

Zedgirl,
I have found in Sydney some labels have the fibre count written on them and some don't. Are you saying the ones that don't have taken the fibre count off the carb count already?
Cheers
Ozzie_girl
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 23:09
Say cheese!

BF:

Ozzie_girl

I did a search on this forum and have copied and pasted a few questions and answers on the topic. All the questions have been answered by ‘Rosebud’ the Aus/NZ forum moderator so I assume she knows what she’s talking about.

For my own purposes I only take into account the carb count as listed next to ‘carbohydrates’. I just ignore the fibre count regardless of how it’s listed or whether it’s listed.

Q Im a bit confused about the useable carbs notion. In australian labelling is total carbs always useable carbs? The distinction between sugar carbs and total carbs doesn't matter does it?

Also in browsing websites about low-carb foods I found one that says something about US labelling laws including sugar alcohols and that the listed carbs of these bars might be around 20 but is really about 1.0g - 2.5g of "effective carbs". Ive been doing atkins and Im hoping someone can help me out of this confusion.

A You're right - it is confusing because some products have the fibre already subtracted (from the total carb count) and some don't.
The only way to know for sure is to do the sums. Just remember that fat gives 9 cals(37.6 kJ) per gram, protein and carbs each give 4 cals (16.7 kJ) per gram. So eg if the total cal count is 38, with fat 2g (18 cals), protein 3g (12 cals), total carbs 2g (8 cals) and fibre 1g, the fibre has not been subtracted, otherwise, the total cals would be 34.

The sugar alcohols, AKA "hidden carbs" are often found in products like low carb bars or chocolates. According to Dr A, sugar alcohols don't give an insulin response, however many people find their weight loss stalls if they use them. It's a YMMV thing. There is more information on sugar alcohols (and on lots of other things) in "Low Carb Tips" on the orange bar at the top of the screen.

Q just a little confused about how you would calculate the carbs of something if the fibre is more.
eg. almonds have 5g carbs, 9g fibre per 100g
so what is the effective carb count?

A If the fibre count is higher than the total carb count, you can be 100% certain that the fibre carbs have already been subtracted.
So the effective carb count will be 5.
BTW, almost all Australian products have the fibre presubtracted.

Q When you read the total carbs on a food label in Australia, has the fibre been deducted?

A As far as I know, yes.
If you're not sure, the way to work it out is to do the little sums.

Protein - approx 4 cals (18kJ) per g
Carbs - ditto
Fat - approx 9 (38ish kJ) per g

So as long as you're given the total calorie or kilojoule count, you can work it out. I've always found the fibre to be subtracted.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 09:06

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 172/149/144 Female 5ft. 3 1/2 inches
BF:45%/33%/27%
Progress: 82%

Thanks Zedgirl. That's a bit of a blow as I've been substracting them. Better go and put them right back on again!!!
Cheers
Ozzie_girl