Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 09:50

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 180/174/142 Female 65.5 inches
BF:32.5%/30.2%/20%
Progress: 16%
Default Can you drink too much water?

Is it possible to drink too much water? I hear around all the time drink more water. Someone has told me that you can drink too much water. And Iw as wonderign how much is too much? I drink from 220 to over 300 ounces a day (it varies form day to day depending on how thristy I am). Your advice would be greatly apperciated. Thanks!
~CindyLynn~
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 09:57
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

All I know is that the more water I drink the better I feel.If I drink too much of anything else I am jittery or cotton mouth like..
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 09:57
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi CindyLynn,

As long as it's spaced out during the day, you shouldn't have any problem. If you tried to drink most of it at once, then yes, it could cause you problems.

If you have been doing this for ages and feel well and healthy, that's a good indication that all is well.

I regularly drink around 5 to 6 litres, which translates to about 160 to 200 ounces, and that is certainly not excessive. We have had members here before who have drunk 10 litres daily (about 333 ounces) with no problem whatever.

So I would only worry if either you don't feel well, or if you have only suddenly felt the need to drink so much.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 10:52

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 180/174/142 Female 65.5 inches
BF:32.5%/30.2%/20%
Progress: 16%

That is great news! I've been drinking lots of water like this for quite a while. And I feel great when I drink lots of water. The only thing I'm doing differently, is that I am measuring how much I drink so I know. Thanks for the help! ~CindyLynn~
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 11:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/174.6/172 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 80%

I've found that too much water tends to make me lose sleep...
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 11:25

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

There are people with a disorder that cannot stop drinking water. That's probably what the person who was telling you that you could drink too much was getting confused about. These people can end up in institutions that restrict access to water (even no water in the toilet ). Don't think you have to worry about that! Just trips back and forth to the loo--but, hey, you can count that as exercise

Nicole
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 12:29

Plan: Atkins since 5/27/03
Stats: 202/167/150 Female 67.25
BF:
Progress: 67%

There is also water toxicity and can be just as dangerous as anything else toxic, but as long as you spead the water consumption over the day that should not be too much. The only caution is trying to "force feed" water drinking like a gallon or two in 30 minutes or something, but if you do this all the time and take a multivitamin so that you don't deplete your resources...you should be fine.

On a lighter note - how much time do spend in the bathroom?!?!? =)