Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 17:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/170/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Default Cholesterol & Triglycerides

Having had limited success in losing weight on other diets, I decided to try Atkins and have found that I do not have the insatiable cravings I have had with other diets. Great!! I not only want to lose weight but I also would like to lower overall cholesterol and LDL. (HDL is good). I would like to know if there are any of you who have the same concerns and what has happened to your overall cholesterol & triglycerides while on Atkins.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 17:57
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

My overall cholesterol went from 214 to 199 in my first nine months on Atkins. My triglycerides went down to 52. I can't remember what the triglycerides were originally, but they were substantially higher than 52. HDL went up and LDL went down, but I can't remember the exact numbers.

The biggest change people usually see is in their triglycerides. Wait at least three months before you get your cholesterol measured. Sometimes it goes up during the first month or two and then comes back down.

I will have my numbers redone this spring. My doctor doesn't see any reason to do them more than once a year since they were so good last time.

Last edited by liz175 : Tue, Dec-30-03 at 17:58.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 18:32

Plan: Healthy Eating
Stats: 200/193/170 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 23%

I started Atkins in June and just had my 6 month checkup which included my Tri's and Cholesterol. Normally my Tri's are close to 400, they were 170. My cholesterol which is usually 230 was 185.

Of course these numbers were before Thanksgiving and Christmas and I've just let myself go totally. But today I am started back up and hope to lose everything I've gained back and get my numbers back down. Especially since I have to have another cholesterol check in a month. (oh no)

It's amazing that real butter, eggs, and cream can do that---but it does happen.
I am a craving type person but while on Atkins, I crave nothing. I can't wait to be a non-craver again (and hopefully soon).

"T" who's back on STRICT induction.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 20:57

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Well, I can't tell you what happened to my overall cholesterol and triglycerides. Honestly, they were never bad. But 2 1/2 months after starting Atkins WOE, I had my lipid profile done and the results were perfect. I had another test last week. I checked my results yesterday and my total cholesterol is 148 ( HDL=77 LDL=59 )
triglycerides=59 and glucose=98

I can't discuss whether or not there has been any improvement but as you can see it lcing has been very, very good to me. High protein/fat/ low carb has not caused me any harm. When I find my readings from last February I will also post them.

Black57
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 21:15

Plan: Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/140.6/129 Female 5,1
BF:
Progress: 68%

I would love to tell the same but it is not my case. Cholesterol went way high (more than 300). Tryg were OK. I have checked it twice since I began last june. The second time my DHL was increased and total cholesterol drop by 30 or 40 points. (Don't remember now and I don't have them at hand) That means the second one was better.
I'll check again at the end of january. This time I'm yearning for good levels...
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 04:36
Registered Member

Stats: 245/199/170 Male 5' 10
BF:
Progress: 61%

trw1966,

Please cross-post your cholesterol numbers over at
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=48
for the benefit of those on that thread.

Isiar, you may want to visit there. Garlic Pat has already found this growing repository of information on LC and Cholesterol/CHD.

That thread tends to be cluttered with panicky messages of
(1) "OMG, my total cholesterol increased (even though the ratios of HDL to LDL improved or the HDL to Total improved) and

(2) "Gosh, I have a been on this diet 3 weeks and my LDL spiked."

I am exaggerating, of course, but I think that the
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=48
could use numbers that are positive, particularly from those that have been on a LC regime for awhile. It could also use more visits from those concerned about CHD and cholestorol in the LC context.

Last edited by PNW : Wed, Dec-31-03 at 04:47.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 14:58

Plan: Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/140.6/129 Female 5,1
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hi PNW!
Oh yes! I had read all the valuable information that are on those threads....and that's one of the reasons I keep going lowcarb.
I haven't panic...yet! LOL