Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 14:40

Plan: Atkins May 10 2003
Stats: 135/120/120 Female 5 Feet 5 Inchs
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default I am so nervous !!!!!

Can anyone suggest something I can take to stop this nervousness?...I am even shaking...I know its from lack of sleep and stress....Before LC, I would have a cup of warm milk.....So far, all I could think of was herbal tea......

Please help
Julie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 15:36
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Are you having caffine in any form? What kind of suppliemnts are you taking, do any of them have stimulents?

Have you spoken to your doctor about it? Constant nervousness to the point of shaking when there is no known cause could be a sign of an anxiety disorder or other medicaly caused problems. Even if it's not, seeing a doctor and ruling out those issues could at least releave worry.

Soem recomend chamomile tea. It gives me headaches, and if you have any ragweed alergies avoid it, other wise maybe give it a try. I like a nice warm cup of herbal tea that's camomile and caffine free at nights. You might also try soaking in a hot bath. It can help raise body temprature and relax you before sleep.

During the day get some exercise in. Even if all you can manage is 10 minutes here or there, get some dumbless to lift at home. This helps release hormones and chemicals that can help releave stress and make you sleep easier at night.

Try to get more sleep too. If you can, grab a quick nap during the day. Try to plan your evenings to where you can go to bed earlier some nights. If something can wait until morning, then let it wait. If freinds are over, politly tell them you need your sleep and ask them to go. If it's work then research time budgeting tips to help you organize and get things done earlier. Or if you are just taking on to much, learn to deligate the work, and tell people and yourself no when it comes to adding more work on.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 15:45

Plan: 60 grams or less a day
Stats: 178/148/135
BF:
Progress: 70%

Well, carbs calm the nervous system so your probably going through some changes physically.
From an Article:
"What causes the calming effect of carbohydrates is the ability they have to produce the neurotransmitter serotonin. Serotonin is what gives you a calm, relaxed feeling. Chocolate contains serotonin. For a longer lasting calming effect from the carbohydrates you eat, eat complex carbohydrates".
http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/f...lmingcarbs.html

Eat something low carb or your idea of an herbal tea is good. But that shaking doesn't sound good - be careful, okay?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 15:59

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

A cup of hot cocoa calms me down. I make it with pure cocoa powder, boiling water, some sweeteners and a dash of double (heavy) cream.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 23:40

Plan: 60 grams or less a day
Stats: 178/148/135
BF:
Progress: 70%

That sounds good, RC!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 09:37

Plan: CALP (switched from Atkins)
Stats: 189/169/145 Female 63 inches
BF:Way/too/high
Progress: 45%

My mother was having nervous attacks. Her nurse practitioner told her to take calcium/magnesium supplements and the attacks went away.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 18:29

BF:

Thanks everyone.....I ended up leaving and going for a long walk.....I hate when that happens to me....I don't take anything with caffeine either.....I get this pretty often and I think it is always stress related and this also causes me to have sleep problems.....

Also I want to congratulate all of you on your weight lose...Your all doing so well....

Also, Happy New Years....
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 18:34
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Ashwaganda works for me. It calms the nervous system but leaves you alert. You can read about it here at www.supplementwatch.com
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 18:47

BF:

Thanks nawchem.....Do you take this only when you start to get nervous or do you take it everyday?.....Is this okay to take if your on other medications and taking other supplements?......I will go have a look....

Julie
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 22:59
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Julie,
I take it(500mg) while I am pmsing and during any stressful situation from taking tests to being rushed or unhappy. I take it with all my supplements. However you shouldn't mix with other sedative type drugs such as alcohol, sleeping pills, anti-anxiety medication. I usually take it first thing in the morning and will take a benadryl in the evening to sleep. You can take two doses per day, it has always worked so well that I haven't needed the 2nd dose. You can take it everyday but I try not to take things I don't need. I buy it at the healthfood store. They can tell you if it will interact with medications you take.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 19:12

BF:

Thanks nawchem ..... I will look into this first chance I get...I hope it will be okay with my other medications.....I also don't like taking anything unless I need to......I will let you know what I find.....Happy new years....

Julie...
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 11:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

you know, I've been back on Atkins since November, and I've found that I'm actually on a much more stable and even emotional keel... My thinking is also clearer.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 12:13

BF:

Thanks for the response sydnarella ..... Congratulations on your lose.....How many carbs are you at now?....I am trying to stay between 25 & 30 ...... Maybe if I added some more it might help?.....Julie
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 12:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I am still eating 20 - 25 a day until I finish losing the weight I want to lose, or at least until I get to 125, then I plan to slowly add some until I find the right maintenance level.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 13:46

BF:

Thanks sydnarella ..... I have noticed also that I am better since I started this way of eating.....Julie