Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 23:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/280/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Any carmel-y type thing I can make?

I am really craving caramel and can't seem to find any lowcarb carmels in my area. I know you can make caramel type stuff with butter and brown sugar, is there anyway i coudl use butter and brown sugartwin?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 15:46

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'm sorry, but I haven't a clue. I just hate to see all kinds of people viewing a thread and no one responding.

Maybe try going to one of the many LC sites and doing a search on their recipe forums. If you don't know any sites, go to google.com (or your favorite search engine) and type in "low-carb recipes" (complete with the quotation marks). You might just find something.

If you do, try it and be sure to post the results.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 16:00
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Drugstores in our area (unfortunately we are nowhere near Oregon) all seem to have sf caramel candy. Sometimes it's in the area near the pharmacy where they stock sweets for diabetics.

Also I think there are some cheesecake "drizzled with caramel" recipes in the kitchen forum. Check with Karen.

Kay
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 17:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 312/312/140 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress:

I do not have a low carb caramel recipe but I live in Oregon and I have recently found Russell Stover Low Carb Zero Sugar Carbs Candies, one of which is Pecan Delights with caramel, pecans and chocolate. Fred Meyers and Wal Mart both carry such treats in my area. I hope that naming brands and stores is okay as this is my first reply.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 23:05

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Those Russell Stover Pecan Delights are SOOO good. And I'm pretty picky about candy/dessert items.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 13:46

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

i know that divincies syrup comes in caramel flavor. you can add that to a shake or something??
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 15:53
Registered Member

Plan: atkin's
Stats: 200/163/160 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: 93%

Me too. First thing I had to pass at the front door of the grocery store today was a bag of Kraft caramels!
I have searched for a caramel type recipe too but have had no luck finding one. I've tried the Stover's caramels and though they are delicious, I (my stomach) have a real problem with sugar alchohols like malitol. I've also looked at the toffee-like caramels in the diabetic sweets sections but they are still quite high carb (5 or 6 per candy).
Does anyone know of a caramel made with Splenda or a recipe to make my own?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 08:59

Plan: syndromeX
Stats: 231/220/150 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 14%

I've got a recipe for Maple Cremes but I can't recall where it came from. Possibly from the recipe forum on this site-

1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup maple syrup (one with splenda)
1 T splenda
1 pck gelatin

Melt butter in heavy sauce pan. Add cream, splenda and syrup. beat with wisk. bring to boil- almost to boiling over, take off heat - wisk. repeat this process for 5 minutes. After 5 min., remove from heat and sprinkle gelatin over the top. wisk in over heat again for one more time. Allow to cool to room temp, spoon into candy molds. refrigerate.

well, I was thinking that you could use caramel syrup with splenda, instead of the maple syrup to make the caramel creams. BTW, this was really good. I froze them into little bites. If you stored them in the regrig. they had the texture of jello cream mixture, not bad, I just liked them frozen better.

Hope this helps.