Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 20:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/245/160
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Will this work??

Hi everyone!
I am 22 yo and 245 lbs. I desperately need to loose weight, for myself and for the future I would like with my fiance. My only problem is that there never seems to be a right time. Right now it's the holidays. After the holidays I would like to start, but I will be starting my new job at a group home where I am required to spend the night and eat meals with the girls there. Anyone have any tips on how to make this work??? I have tried WW and I know that it does not work for me, but I am hoping that LC will work. Any tips and/or advice on how to make this work would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 20:23
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Sassy,

Yes, low carbing definitely works! Have a look through our Success Stories for some inspiration.

As for tips, you can't go past Low Carb Tips on the orange bar at the top of the screen.

All the best to you!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 20:25
ArtificiallyFlavored

Stats: 260/252/200 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

You can usually manage to LC with out too much difficulty anywhere. You just don't eat the things you can't. If you want, you could bring substitutes for high carb stuff, can't you?

Ultimately, nothing will work if you don't start. Why wait till after the holidays? Instead of gaining more weight over the holidays, you could be getting on track. I can't think of a better Christmas present to yourself.

Best of luck!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 20:54

Stats: 245/245/160
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thank you for the advice. I agree, I really think that I should start ASAP. And I think that I will start slowly up until January and go full speed from there. Mostly because I do not have the $$ for this WOL now and I would like to have a better chance to start out, and not sabbatoge myself and be let doen with the holidays. Thanks for the advice!
D
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 22:48

Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%

This WOE does not have to be more expensive. My husband has been unemployed since September. We are making it on just my teaching salary. We both decided that it was important for us to make this work. We eat a lot of eggs, which are cheap. We eat only cheap cuts of meat (slow cooking helps.) We eat salads and frozen vegetables. Not buying junk food - either regular or low carb, helps. We don't buy alchol or soda as we are drinking water. Are big splurge is a 3 pound block of cheese and one of cream cheese each month. We actually end up spending less than we use to on groceries. The problem is now we both need new wardrobes! Now that is expensive. Thank goodness for Christmas presents.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-03, 14:27

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Sassy_d2,

I began the induction phase the day after Thanksgiving of 2002. I had so many foods to choose from that I had no problems saying "no" to the typical goodies that prevail this time of year. But, I only had about 30 lbs to lose. Heavier people tend to lose quicker. Meals must be planned. If you plan your meals, this way of eating will be successful and rewarding no matter what time of year it is. Now is the time.

While you are waiting to begin this way of eating begin planning what it is you want to eat. Think about how long you want to be on induction. Visualize what you will look like once you reach your goal of 160 lbs. Then go grocery shopping and fill your pantry and fridge with low carb healthy foods. Avoid the shakes and bars for awhile until you become more disciplined at this WOE. Let your body communicate its ability in weightloss. In a sense you are fortunate. You have youth on your side. You probably have a healthy metabolism that will chew the weight off your body once you get started. Cutting out carbs will help your "willpower" because, eventually you won't crave breads, candy or cakes. Visit health food stores to see which stores support the low carb lifestyle. There should be someone, at these stores, who can help coach you through your diet. Someone who
has an idea of how the foods, like keto pastas, taste and offer no negativity towards this diet. We have a few low carb grocery stores here in Orange County CA.

Your determination should increase as you see your body respond to the low carb lifestyle.

Black57