Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 00:52

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default hairloss?

are hairloss and hypothryroidism related?
i have noticed that i'm losing hair. i noticed this happening around this same time last year, however I can't find a correlation. no change in diet. could it be change in weather (coldness; less sunlight and less seretonin production)? change in activity level (less active in winter)? any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 19:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246.8/241.3/175 Female 5'7
BF:WAY TOO MUCH
Progress: 8%

Hi there... yes they are related. I had my entire thyroid removed due to cancer and was not allowed to start my thyroid meds until post radiation tx. The thyroid was removed in May and radiation did not begin until the end of July. Needless to say I was EXTREEMLY hypothyroid and one of the many lovely side effects is hair loss... as well as brittleness, dullness etc...This was all pre-radiation tx, all due to hypothyroid. I have started thyroid meds and am slowly getting back to normal, my hair is no longer falling out as much and appears much healthier!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 01:13

Plan: Free-range
Stats: 161/154/140 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hairloss can certainly be one effect of hypothyroidism, but if you are taking the correct amount of hormone the symptom should soon disappear. Eve
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 13:07

Plan: Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/140.6/129 Female 5,1
BF:
Progress: 68%

It could be related but not necesarly if you are loosing hair you are hypo.
Make a search at this forum regarding hair loss and you will find very helpful information.
My thyroid was removed years ago and I had never have this problem until now. It seems that for some of us a change in our way of eating stress our body in a way hair loss occurs. But it should be temporarly. I have found I'm getting better now (my hair loss began last october) and new hair is borning.
Isiar
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 09:42

Plan: Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/140.6/129 Female 5,1
BF:
Progress: 68%

JustAGirl, I found this thread that has a lot a valuable information regarding hair loss. You might want to take a look there

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...89&page=1&pp=15

Happy new year to all,
Isiar
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 19:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/165/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 54%

thanks for all the good information! i'm having a major prob with hairloss as well. i also had a hard time finding products to manage my hair; it was very very thick and fine, but it became thin and course after meds. i discovered Nick Chavez shapoo and hair care products from QVC,and the little bald spot i have is always covered; the product i use is called flocker and it's way better than hairspray. it makes my thin hair look so full now. and i noticed a slow down in my hair loss because with these products i only had to wash every other day. check them out! they've really helped me.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 20:06
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

I too noticed severe hair loss when I had my thyroid removed because of cancer but it improved significantly. I don't know if it was the radioactive iodine or the induced hypothyroidism that caused the hair loss at that time.

I have also noticed significant hair loss on Atkins. It has eased up somewhat now. I don't know if that's because I have switched to Suzanne Somers and now eat oatmeal for breakfast. But things do seem to be better stabilized for me with doing this progam.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 00:28

Plan: none
Stats: 160/150/140 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 50%

Yes they are very related. I could probably make 10 wigs by now. Good thing I started with really thick hair!